THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 07:21:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Callidora (2010) Found With an Injured Wing in Pennsylvania - 1/20/12  (Read 40700 times)
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 21-Jan-12, 01:45:54 AM »

Poor Callidora!  hurt I hope she can fly again!

valhalla
« Reply #16 on: 21-Jan-12, 06:56:42 AM »

Got MAK's text last night, but I have a house-full of high school friends - first chance to catch up.

Carol is correct - 2nd year - already beat the odds!  Don't forget!  She was my birthday egg!   thumbsup
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 21-Jan-12, 07:00:44 AM »

Got MAK's text last night, but I have a house-full of high school friends - first chance to catch up.

Carol is correct - 2nd year - already beat the odds!  Don't forget!  She was my birthday egg!   thumbsup

aka Helga Jean!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
valhalla
« Reply #18 on: 21-Jan-12, 07:02:19 AM »

Wink
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21-Jan-12, 07:04:32 AM »

Sending positive thoughts and warm wishes to Callidora.  Great news that she made it to 2 years, she's a strong one, hopefully she can beat this!
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21-Jan-12, 07:13:34 AM »

Does anyone know how this happened? Poor wee thing! Fingers crossed. (Maybe I did not read the earlier posts carefully enough re reasons...) crying
Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21-Jan-12, 07:56:59 AM »

I am so sad to hear about Callidora  crying

I hope she will be able to heal & be released but if she can't be then it would be wonderful to have her at WW

She was such a beautiful falcon & not a day goes by I don't think about her & Jemison  wub2

They are so special to me, my first birds of prey I saw hatch & got me hooked on these magnificent creatures

Keeping her in my thoughts & prayers

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21-Jan-12, 08:03:49 AM »

Does anyone know how this happened? Poor wee thing! Fingers crossed. (Maybe I did not read the earlier posts carefully enough re reasons...) crying

No Bobbie, we haven't heard yet, waiting!

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21-Jan-12, 08:06:43 AM »

No Bobbie, we haven't heard yet, waiting!

I'll keep watching and hoping, Donna. Thanks.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21-Jan-12, 08:43:47 AM »

Kate posted this on FB

Yesterday I got a call from Wildlife Conservation Officer Beth Fife.  An injured adult peregrine had been found in the mills area of Monessen, Pennsylvania, shown above in a photo linked from www.city-data.com.

Beth had already called the Game Commission’s peregrine falcon coordinator, Art McMorris, to tell him the band numbers but he was not available.  While waiting for Art’s return call she wondered about the bird’s identity.

I looked up the bands as best I could.  The bird was not from Pittsburgh or the Midwest.  My friend Karen Lang said, “Maybe it’s from New York.”   And she was right.

Juanita Woods identified her as Callidora, hatched at the Times Square nest, Rochester, NY in 2010.  Her father is Archer, grandson of Mariah and Kaver of Kodak.  Her mother is Beauty, daughter of Dorothy and Erie at the University of Pittsburgh.  Callidora is Dorothy’s granddaughter.

The news from Beth was not particularly good.  Callidora is at a rehabber’s in Indiana County, PA with a badly injured wing and will be x-rayed to determine the extent of the damage.  I don’t know the name or location of the rehabber and have no other news.

I expect to hear more next week as business gets underway again.  Not only is this the weekend, but it’s snowing and sleeting here with a projected 2-inch snow+ice accumulation.  Things have slowed down considerably.

For information on the town where Callidora was found, see City-Data’s website on Monessen.  Also see this brief blog post about Monessen at rustwire.

I hope Callidora will be OK.

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 21-Jan-12, 08:47:09 AM »

Thanks, Kate (via Donna). Hope all goes well!!!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 21-Jan-12, 08:56:02 AM »

A view of downtown Monessen, Pennsylvania where Cali was found. Very small place.

Once a bustling steel town that packed gambling halls and pizza parlors, Monessen has dwindled from 12,000 to about 8,000 today.

It now has 232 vacant residences, the most of any other Pennsylvania town, according to the Associated Press. And unlike, Detroit or Youngstown or Flint, tiny Monessen cannot command the resources do do much demolition.

The city, 28 miles south of Pittsburgh, has about $75,000 to devote to demolition this year.

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: 21-Jan-12, 09:03:00 AM »

I have forwarded this topic to Mrs. Graffeo. As you may recall, her kindergarten class named Callidora.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21-Jan-12, 09:04:40 AM »

I have forwarded this topic to Mrs. Graffeo. As you may recall, her kindergarten class named Callidora.

Shaky, she saw it on FB and commented!

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 21-Jan-12, 09:10:30 AM »

Of course I checked FB right after posting here.  frustrated
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print