THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 10:37:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WINORR Rescues  (Read 20166 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 17-Feb-12, 06:34:02 AM »

This male coopers hawk was picked up by a police officer in Manhattan then brought to animal control.
Animal control in Manhattan drove to Bobby's fire house where Bobby was working to deliver the hawk.
He has some kind of motor grease all over himself . He smells like a car repair garage.

Animal control brought this coopers hawk to Bobby's fire house. The bird was covered in some kind of motor grease . Bobby and his coworkers gave him his first dawn dish washing liquid bath at the fire house. I picked him up the next morning and this is the pictures of his next bath. Hopefully after a few more baths we will be able to get all of this stuff off of him and he will be releasable.
« Last Edit: 10-Jan-16, 03:28:30 PM by Donna » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28-May-12, 08:27:58 PM »

WINORR- Wildlife In Need of Rescue and Rehabilitation
        Cathy picked up these 3 surviving peregrine fledglings from a courtyard at the Nassau County Medical Center in East Meadow today where there is a nest on the 17th floor. There was a 4th that was doa for unknown reasons at this time. We will send it for a necropsy . This nest traditionally has its share of problems with frounce and the congested area causing problems for the young birds learning to survive on their own . 2 of them are in good shape and should be able to returned by DEC personal to a safer spot but the 3rd , the smallest, has a possible fractured jaw, a split upper palate from the fall, and a deformed lower mandible which might be causing a problem feeding since it was the only one on the thin side.  crying

From fb

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28-May-12, 08:33:07 PM »

I'm so glad they've been rescued and are in good hands.  What happened to the parents?
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28-May-12, 08:36:09 PM »

I'm so glad they've been rescued and are in good hands.  What happened to the parents?

The first 2 are in good shape and the parents were nearby and will still provide food when they are returned as soon as possible. The nest is on the 17th floor and DEC personal will make the call as to where they are returned . Either back to the nest or on the roof but they will be back as soon as possible. The 3rd will need a little tlc before hopefully going back as well .The next few days there will be many more raptors leaving the nest for the first time and many will unfortuantely get into trouble .

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28-May-12, 08:37:51 PM »

Thanks Donna.  Must be hard on the parents too, losing so many chicks at once.  I hope they can get the two back as soon as possible. 
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-May-12, 08:44:59 PM »

Thanks Donna.  Must be hard on the parents too, losing so many chicks at once.  I hope they can get the two back as soon as possible. 

Probably real soon as they are fine. Just a quicky check up!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30-May-12, 11:05:53 PM »

Putting all the WINORR stuff here.

this poor girl was found under someone's deck .she has a terrible wound on her back and on all her legs and tail.
Bobby picked her up and brought her home to me . I brought her to our vet's office so I could anestitise her to be able to remove all of the maggots.
this is what the maggots have done to her flesh.

This is so sad and I think I'm gonna be sick!

She's so skinny, thankfully they rescued her. All cleaned up and De-Maggot-ized.
« Last Edit: 31-May-12, 07:50:44 AM by Donna » Logged

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31-May-12, 08:30:27 AM »

Poor little thing. Those wounds look very painful! Thankfully they are taking care of it and it will have a full recovery.  hurt

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-Jun-12, 07:58:10 AM »

These 3 peregrine fledglings came in earlier this week from a nest under the Van Wyck Expressway in Queens. This is the second year the pair nested there and the second year we rescued young from there. Last year 2 fledglings needed rescuing that came down off the overpass where the nest is into a very busy area not making for a safe area for youngsters learning to fly. After routine blood work was done we determined both fledglings had lead poisoning most likely picked up from paint where they were hatched and needed long term tretment to cure. This years were also tested and were positive for lead but within safe levels not requiring treatment . At first only 2 but recently the third was found to have frounce needing oral medication to treat . It comes from a parasite of the digestive system in pigeons who survive just fine with but other animals who ingest the infected area are also infected but the result can be deadly for all other species . We also see it commonly in immature or debilitated redtailed hawks and kestrels too occassionally. These 3 will require treatment and possibly training and conditioning if they cannot be returned shortly to the site where their parents remain.

wub2

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-Jun-12, 10:04:20 AM »

These 3 peregrine fledglings came in earlier this week from a nest under the Van Wyck Expressway in Queens. This is the second year the pair nested there and the second year we rescued young from there. Last year 2 fledglings needed rescuing that came down off the overpass where the nest is into a very busy area not making for a safe area for youngsters learning to fly. After routine blood work was done we determined both fledglings had lead poisoning most likely picked up from paint where they were hatched and needed long term tretment to cure. This years were also tested and were positive for lead but within safe levels not requiring treatment . At first only 2 but recently the third was found to have frounce needing oral medication to treat . It comes from a parasite of the digestive system in pigeons who survive just fine with but other animals who ingest the infected area are also infected but the result can be deadly for all other species . We also see it commonly in immature or debilitated redtailed hawks and kestrels too occassionally. These 3 will require
treatment and possibly training and conditioning if they cannot be returned shortly to the site where their parents remain.

wub2

Saw this on FB last night.  Those faces are just too cute for words! 

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11-Jun-12, 11:37:22 AM »

Sweetie pies!  wub2

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12-Jun-12, 06:49:11 AM »

This female kestrel appeared Sunday night in a equipment tent at the Tony Awards being held at 75th st. and Broadway in upper Manhattan. A concerned couple Chris and Tony carefully picked her up and brought her home to Brooklyn last night and took care of her until they met me tonight to transfer for for some training and conditioning the next few weeks so she can be released back in the city. Times like this leaving a flightless scared little animal isn't the best option and they were right being worried she could easily been stepped on by the hundreds of people attending or hit by a car right outside. She will get a second chance in a couple of weeks. Thanks for caring and extending yourselves to care for her till we could meet you both.

She's so adorable.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-Jun-12, 08:04:16 AM »

This female kestrel appeared Sunday night in a equipment tent at the Tony Awards being held at 75th st. and Broadway in upper Manhattan. A concerned couple Chris and Tony carefully picked her up and brought her home to Brooklyn last night and took care of her until they met me tonight to transfer for for some training and conditioning the next few weeks so she can be released back in the city. Times like this leaving a flightless scared little animal isn't the best option and they were right being worried she could easily been stepped on by the hundreds of people attending or hit by a car right outside. She will get a second chance in a couple of weeks. Thanks for caring and extending yourselves to care for her till we could meet you both.

She's so adorable.

What a little doll!  heart

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24-Jul-12, 12:03:21 PM »

baby swan in surgery. Fishing wire wrapped around his tongue.  Sad

Pick up your stuff people!

His tongue was just about severed!   crying

Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter