THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 01:34:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rfalconcam Archive Restoration Project  (Read 8031 times)
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« on: 12-May-12, 05:51:21 PM »

I'm looking for volunteers to work on recovering the photos captured between March 9 and May 7 that are missing from the Archive. These photos may be found on other wildlife forums on the Internet and in the personal collections of online falcon watchers.

In addition, I would like someone to lead this project who can coordinate the collecting and storing of potentially thousands of photos. This person would be responsible for ensuring that the following conditions are met:

Photos must be unaltered and uncropped. The time stamp on the left side must be visible.

Full resolution photos are preferred. These are the ones that do NOT have RFALCONCAM written down both sides. Low resolution photos (the ones with RFALCONCAM written down both sides) are acceptable if no full resolution version is available.

Photo files must be properly named using our standard date/time format. This is important. Photos are retrieved by the Archive Viewer by name. Improperly named files will not be found.

Collected photos should be stored online so they can be copied into the Archive. This could be a photo gallery site or some sort of file server.  Whatever it is, it must allow the retrieval of the original photo and not just a smaller version of it. It must also preserve the file's name. (See above.)

If the photos are not stored online, then they should be written to DVD and mailed to me. But first a directory listing of the DVD should be emailed to me so I can verify that the names of the files are correct.

Lynne in New Hampshire
Tiercel

Like Count: 35

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12-May-12, 06:09:38 PM »

First I have no clue how to even start that!  But-If everything is saved everyday onto an backup site-can everything be retrieved from there?

Lynne

Lynne in New Hampshire
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12-May-12, 06:17:08 PM »

First I have no clue how to even start that!  But-If everything is saved everyday onto an backup site-can everything be retrieved from there?

Lynne

I believe that's the problem-we thought it was but that particular span of time seems to have gone missing.  So the plan is to recreate as much of the missing photo archive as we can.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Lynne in New Hampshire
Tiercel

Like Count: 35

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12-May-12, 06:24:09 PM »

What if we have it on our backups?  Just brainstorming here! 

Lynne in New Hampshire
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12-May-12, 06:30:54 PM »

What if we have it on our backups?  Just brainstorming here! 

That's what Shaky is looking for-someone to gather all the stuff we all have saved on our own to one place, named properly, so he can put it back in the archive.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
ezsha
Tiercel

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12-May-12, 07:12:29 PM »

Full resolution photos are preferred. These are the ones that do NOT have RFALCONCAM written down both sides. Low resolution photos (the ones with RFALCONCAM written down both sides) are acceptable if no full resolution version is available.

Photo files must be properly named using our standard date/time format. This is important. Photos are retrieved by the Archive Viewer by name. Improperly named files will not be found."

Can you please post an example of the proper standard date/time format? I know that I rename any images I save so that I know what they are. I would gladly copy and restore the original file names of my files if I was certain of their format.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12-May-12, 07:24:32 PM »

Can you please post an example of the proper standard date/time format? I know that I rename any images I save so that I know what they are. I would gladly copy and restore the original file names of my files if I was certain of their format.

MainCamera_20120405-173900.jpg  

Camera1_20120325-065900.jpg

Date and time are on each picture if they haven't been cropped.  

The naming syntax can also be reviewed on any photo in the archive

ezsha
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12-May-12, 09:28:19 PM »

Camera1_20120325-065900.jpg

Date and time are on each picture if they haven't been cropped.  

The naming syntax can also be reviewed on any photo in the archive

Let me confirm:

The information taken from left lower corner of the unaltered picture,
  Main Apr 5, 2012 17:39 EDT 46F/8C

using this formula, when hours are military time (24 hour, not 12 hour) and seconds are always "00".
  MainCamera_YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.jpg

translates to

And the camera names are
  MainCamera_
  Camera1_
  Camera2_
  Camera3_
  Camera4_

Correct?
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12-May-12, 09:42:33 PM »

Let me confirm:

The information taken from left lower corner of the unaltered picture,
  Main Apr 5, 2012 17:39 EDT 46F/8C

using this formula, when hours are military time (24 hour, not 12 hour) and seconds are always "00".
  MainCamera_YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS.jpg

translates to

And the camera names are
  MainCamera_
  Camera1_
  Camera2_
  Camera3_
  Camera4_

Correct?

And Camera5_

Dot.Ca was seen there once or twice.

Looks right to me, but I'd let Shaky double check before renaming everything

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 12-May-12, 10:55:49 PM »

Yes, the names are correct for full resolution photos. For low resolution photos (RFALCONCAM on left and right) the names are

MainCamera_LowRes_
  Camera1_LowRes_
  Camera2_LowRes_
  Camera3_LowRes_
  Camera4_LowRes_
  Camera5_LowRes_
ezsha
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12-May-12, 11:13:24 PM »

I'm looking for volunteers to work on recovering the photos captured between March 9 and May 7 that are missing from the Archive.

The first two days are before the time change to EDT - are there any changes that would affect the file naming?
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 13-May-12, 08:14:18 AM »

The first two days are before the time change to EDT - are there any changes that would affect the file naming?

No.
Nonny
Pipping

Like Count: 8

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14-May-12, 04:09:38 PM »

Shakey,

Should we e-mail the list of arhcive pictures or post it as an attachment.

For those who wish to make a listing of files in a folder on their PC, PrintFolders is a good tool and can be found at www.stratopoint.com/pfolders.htm
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 14-May-12, 04:48:07 PM »

I'm not running this project. When someone steps forward to coordinate the collecting and storing of potentially thousands of photos, you can work out the arrangements to get your list to them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: