THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 01:26:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleveland, Ohio Falcons  (Read 78482 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: 28-Jul-14, 06:20:06 AM »

SW was last seen on July 22nd, a new female has moved in and has been seen bonding with Boomer the past few days.

Haven't the heart to post what little is known but here is the link to CMNH and read backwards if interested.  C&C working on trying to ID new female - she has black/green bands.

http://www.falconcam-cmnh.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?75073.580#post_77215
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 28-Jul-14, 06:50:08 AM »

Oh no, not her too! Like she hasn't been through enough. This is the saddest season I can remember, losing so many babies and adults. "Nature", Bah Humbug, it's not so nice anymore! I hope she is OK out there and I'm sorry!  Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 28-Jul-14, 09:14:42 AM »

And the hits keep coming!  crying

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 28-Jul-14, 09:21:08 AM »

Sorry to hear this news...poor SW.  Sad   Hope she's OK.  I know she's up there I age..how old now? Sad

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 28-Jul-14, 09:38:05 AM »

Sorry to hear this news...poor SW.  Sad   Hope she's OK.  I know she's up there I age..how old now? Sad

15 years old.
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 28-Jul-14, 11:10:48 AM »

I hope she was only displaced. I've followed her for twelve years, ever since she took over the site from Zenith.

Paul
NoraH
Juvie

Like Count: 26

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 28-Jul-14, 12:31:32 PM »

Shoot  Sad  This is so much like at the King Plant in MN this year.  Belinda (I believe 15 this year) disappeared after she started laying eggs and a new female is there.  I've never heard that anyone found her and she didn't look good this spring.  Brent was bringing her food a lot.  We realized Brent is gone too.  I keep hoping he stuck with her and they left.  We don't have band readings on the new ones, possible on the male, but none on her yet.  Belinda was the gal that killed Mae back in 2004.  Belinda was a holy terror at banding time.

http://www.sciencebuzz.org/kiosks/science-museum-minnesota/what-do-we-know-about-king-falco

I'm so sorry about the pair from here, I've kept tabs on them for a long, long time too.  I hope they hear something. Fingers are crossed.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 28-Jul-14, 01:05:45 PM »

I hope she just left and is ok.   Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 28-Jul-14, 02:30:41 PM »

such a difficult year  Sad

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 29-Jul-14, 07:06:06 AM »

Earlier last week falcon cam watchers began to notice that a falcon that looked quite different than SW was appearing on cam with the tiercel, Boomer. Checked the site to see what I could find out and it was clear upon seeing the new female that she looked nothing like SW. Right away, there was a sense that her markings were similar to the I-90 Bridge's female resident, Newton, and she had black/green left leg bands with a silver federal just like Newt. While I was up at the Terminal Tower, I did all I could think of to check ledges, roof wells, and usual perches that I know about, but I didn't see any trace of SW or this year's remaining juvie, Ruth.
As for the new female... it took awhile, as Boomer was at the nest, looking up, positioning and bowing in the tray, and using soft "e-chip" vocalizations to draw her in. After he left, she made a very brief stop on the ledge to the left of the tray. Her back was to me and either her tail or her leg feathers were in the way of the left leg bands, even as she took off, but I was able to see enough through the leg feathers to say with certainty that it is Newton (18/A, black/green).
We've posted about Newton and the I-90 Bridge site in other albums, but for some background: Newton has been a long-time resident of the I-90 Bridge site that we monitor. She was a 2002 hatch in Wisconsin and was paired first with an unbanded tiercel at I-90 and then with Bolt (a 2004 hatch from Cleveland's Bohn Apartment building). Newton and Bolt have been quite successful despite multiple relocations to different sections of the bridge over the years... they were extremely tied to the I-90 Bridge site and simply chose the spot where there was the least construction activity each year. Despite being provided two alternative nest boxes in different bridges, they chose to nest in the old I-90 span this year, even as it was being torn apart all around them. The remainder of the structure was demolished via a controlled explosion on July 12, just a little more than a week after their lone juvie fledged. We celebrated as we were able to confirm that all three PFs made it through the explosion, but it left them basically "homeless" since that bridge has been all that they have known for nesting. On 7-15 I made a follow-up check after learning there was an injured adult peregrine picked up at the site... I saw all three near the last remaining section of the bridge on the south side landing on beams just above where the injured tiercel was found.
This finding leaves open many questions, several of which may go answered. We're assuming that Newt battled with SW, although it's not definitive... Alison caught her on cam just after SW wasn't showing up on cam, so it's possible that Newt either killed SW or that something happened to SW in some other way and Newt "saw her opening" to occupy a new nest site. It's not at all clear regarding what happened to Bolt. He may have sparred with Boomer already and lost, or there may be some battling between the two tiercels yet to come. Bolt may also remain attached to his territory to the point that he'll try to recruit a new female to the Innerbelt Bridge area if Newt doesn't return to him. Further, there's no way to know if Newt (at 12 years old) will be able to hold down the TT site. One would speculate that she will be challenged during the non-breeding season. We'll just have to wait and see what transpires from here.
Since we don't know anything about what happened to her, I think I'll give it some time before putting together a tribute to SW... she has been loved and admired by many of us falcon fanatics over the years and has contributed greatly to our understanding of our area's peregrines!

Posted on FB by C & C

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: 29-Jul-14, 08:11:57 AM »

They've posted the updates over at CMNH with many photos as well.  Tough situation and I'm sure not easy for them as they've followed Newton and Bolt for many years and rescued their offspring over the years.

I still remember Mariah losing her long time home and seeing the photos of her clawing at the netting so I can imagine Newton and Bolt losing their home wasn't easy either.  I hope Bolt and their fledglings, SW and Ruth are all somewhere safe.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 29-Jul-14, 03:30:16 PM »

Regardless of what happened to SW she is a legend!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 25-Sep-14, 06:04:17 AM »

SW's body has been found.  As per Harvey over at CMNH:

As has been surmised by her absence for the last two months, SW is dead. Her mummified body was found on an expanse of roof between the Leader Bldg and the side of the Arcade and brought to my attention by Dyann Davison from the Carlyle Development Group. I retrieved her remains and brought them to the Museum.Given the state of deterioration of the body it will be difficult to ascertain the cause of death. Laurie Graber and Jennifer Norris from ODOW have been notified and will file the band information.
Though we might suppose Newton and SW engaged in an epic duel ending with SW's hitting a building and coming to rest on the lone expanse of roof, it is also possible that there was a skirmish with the Bohn Building pair. The Leader Bldg. is very close to the 5th 3rd Building where I recovered Ranger some years back and could be the boundary between these two territories.

Link to original post:  http://www.falconcam-cmnh.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?77632.0#post_77633
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 25-Sep-14, 06:15:47 AM »

Oh that is just so sad. Poor girl. Fly free SW.  crying

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: 25-Sep-14, 06:38:17 AM »