THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 04:36:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleveland, Ohio Falcons  (Read 78450 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 05-Aug-13, 02:01:43 PM »

Yes it's her!  Just got home from visiting Quest and I see SW on cam  notworthy notworthy clap

ps:  Chris is on the way to the site to check on her as per Kim over at CMNH.

Oh she looks so much better!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 05-Aug-13, 02:03:37 PM »

I saw people posting pics on FB too!  Good to see her!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 05-Aug-13, 02:34:52 PM »

Chris is at the site and just posted this update to CMNH:

Thanks Kim and everyone for the info.! Made it up to see her and will observe and report more later. Talked to Scott, who couldn't make it but set me up for easy access and I'm in contact with DOW. SW is lying down on the drawbridge (as you can probably see) and Boomer is on the nest ledge far to the left. Good news is that she appears to have eaten recently (food remnants on her beak). Mostly snoozing now. I'll stick awhile and will post tonight.

http://www.falconcam-cmnh.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?73750.250#post_74456
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 05-Aug-13, 03:48:15 PM »

2thumbsup clap thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 06-Aug-13, 07:04:52 AM »

C&C Facebook Update:

SW returns scraped up, but alive… supplement attempt tomorrow

https://www.facebook.com/ChadandChrisOhioPeregrinePage
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 06-Aug-13, 07:23:20 AM »

C&C Facebook Update:

SW returns scraped up, but alive… supplement attempt tomorrow

https://www.facebook.com/ChadandChrisOhioPeregrinePage

Hope it works!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 06-Aug-13, 07:36:29 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=699844276708014&set=vb.590679534291156&type=2&theater  Boomer tries to persuade SW into the nest!

BY C & C

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 06-Aug-13, 08:38:57 AM »

That's so sweet-he must know she's injured. heart

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 06-Aug-13, 09:29:06 AM »

Wanted to post this from the computer before I left (as I’m expecting that whatever I try to post from the phone will be basic and might end up looking like gibberish). On my way to the MRC to get the quail and meds. for SW. It will take me about an hour to get there and then about an hour to get to the TT—add in the quail prep time, parking, etc. and I would estimate that this will play out in the early afternoon. I’m planning to leave the quail whether SW is present or not, figuring that it could be okay if she’s not there because she could see it as a “food gift” from Boomer. I’ll stick around hopeful to see if she has any of it and gets any of the medicine.

I think we’re all aware that this is a crap shoot and may not be effective. We’re hoping for the best, but it’s more of an “it doesn’t hurt to try” move than anything. If she does accept and eat some, we’ll continue getting the food and meds. to her for two weeks, but we’ll know more from today if it’s worth the effort. I thought if I could give you all a general timeframe it would help with cam watching—I probably won’t be home very early, but I will post about the day and will prioritize the CMNH site and catch up on our Facebook page when I can (I certainly owe that to the long-term followers of SW and the TT site). I’m trying to keep the perspective that it will go the way it’s supposed to, but like all of you SW is heavily on my mind.   heart  Bless them for trying to help her!

C & C

This SW or Boomer?
« Last Edit: 06-Aug-13, 10:45:41 AM by Donna » Logged

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 06-Aug-13, 11:55:52 AM »

I soo hope this works. I'm thankful for the effort put forth to help SW. Thanks for posting this update Donna. It's always nice to hear news of people doing good things!  pray

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 06-Aug-13, 10:54:32 PM »

Battle Cry for SW
Updated 33 minutes ago · Taken at Terminal Tower
Didn’t see SW at all today, but judging by Boomer’s behavior at the nest I’m rather confident that there’s an intruding female challenging her. Boomer was at the tray when I arrived around noon, with a fairly full crop and snoozing off and on. Right around 1:00 he sleeked his feathers, spun around quickly with his wings out and gave the sharp “e-chip” vocalization as he visually tracked something high in the air. Although this particular call is similar to the sound the male makes during ledge displays, in this scenario it is the alarm vocalization specifically used for another peregrine intruder. We’ve mentioned this before, but this has never failed us in our years of watching… the “kekk, kekk” alarm call is used for most intrusions, but not with another peregrine. I didn’t get a good sound bite of it to post, but we have posted a clip of the call and posture on our FB page in the past if you’re interested (Posted April 21st under “Intruder Alert Vocalization” featuring Ely at the CC nest).

I went out around 2:00, but didn’t see any PFs and by the time I got out there Boomer was gone from his ledge. Checked with a hot dog vendor and policeman, but no one saw or heard anything up in the air (although there was a concert in the square, so it was a stretch that anyone would have heard it). While Boomer was gone I made the food/medicine drop. The contraption I put together needed to be modified (further to that ledge than I figured), but I was able to get a prepared swallow with crushed medicine out there about 3 feet to the right of the drawbridge that extends from the nest tray. Also, saw a tidy cast on the drawbridge right near where SW was lying down yesterday—she was moving her crop around as she lay there, so it looks like she was able to expel a pellet (which seems another good sign that she’s eating).

Returned the Greenbriar key so that the kind people from Forest City could go home and decided to wait out rush hour by watching outside. My 6:00 deadline got extended as Boomer appeared up high (didn’t see him come in), but staying longer didn’t pay off. Stayed until 7:30, but no SW, and Boomer stayed put on that high ledge (after looking like he might dive off a few times).

Going to try once more tomorrow morning to see if the swallow is gone and to make one more food/medicine drop, but if she’s not around we’ll suspend the supplementation idea and save the medicine.

Hope you all don’t mind my sharing strong feelings and opinions here, but even though we care about SW and don’t want to see her “go”, Chad and I believe that if a peregrine dies in the wild fighting and defending and doing what peregrines do it’s the way it “should” be. Obviously, we believe in helping where we can, but at this point I’ve shifted my thinking to considering this palliative care for SW: we’ll do what we can to help her to be as comfortable and pain-free as possible yet when it’s her time to go the cycle of life and death will continue as it’s meant to be.

Thanks for all of the support today, friends! I talked with Laura and Laurie a couple times and your online words of encouragement are very touching and too kind!

By C & C

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.700283006664141.1073741951.590679534291156&type=1  Lots of pics here

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 06-Aug-13, 11:14:25 PM »

What will be, will be!  heart  Thanks for the update!  wave

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 08-Aug-13, 06:56:18 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.700908153268293.1073741952.590679534291156&type=1 SW stands for "Strong Will"

Update Sad or Smiley

I think of Lucy the Eagle who lost a whole foot and survived so maybe hers will heal also. Prayers to her!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 16-Aug-13, 08:26:02 AM »

Looks like SW is feeling a little better!

From fb

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 16-Aug-13, 11:49:08 AM »

Looks like SW is feeling a little better!

From fb

Excellent! Falcons are tough birds.  2thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: