THE FORUM

23-Oct-24, 11:29:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Times Square Building question  (Read 6070 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« on: 02-Jun-12, 02:35:10 PM »

The question has come up several times...what should we call the bump on the wall beside the deck and its mate on the other corner, seen here with red arrows?

My research has revealed the ones with the blue arrows are merlons "A merlon forms the vertical solid parts of a battlement or crenellated parapet."

But I can't seem to find if there's a proper architectural term for the bumps on the wall. Anyone know for sure?

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
BIGFRANK
« Reply #1 on: 02-Jun-12, 02:43:55 PM »

Unnamed thingys?
BIGFRANK
« Reply #2 on: 02-Jun-12, 03:22:01 PM »

Being with me on a watch is an adventure. I have no sense of direction what so ever,so telling me something flew south is useless. I need to know which building it went towards. Telling me a bird is on the SE corner of the west face of a building really confuses me. I call a thingy a thingy as in the heat of a watch as long as U know which thingy I mean its all that matters :-) PS Im really not kidding. Even at a site Ive watched for 10 years Ive no clue which  direction is which.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-Jun-12, 03:27:50 PM »

Being with me on a watch is an adventure. I have no sense of direction what so ever,so telling me something flew south is useless. I need to know which building it went towards. Telling me a bird is on the SE corner of the west face of a building really confuses me. I call a thingy a thingy as in the heat of a watch as long as U know which thingy I mean its all that matters :-) PS Im really not kidding. Even at a site Ive watched for 10 years Ive no clue which  direction is which.

I'm with you Frank!  silly

ezsha
Tiercel

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-Jun-12, 03:50:12 PM »

The question has come up several times...what should we call the bump on the wall beside the deck and its mate on the other corner, seen here with red arrows?

My research has revealed the ones with the blue arrows are merlons "A merlon forms the vertical solid parts of a battlement or crenellated parapet."

Perhaps because they look like smaller versions of the merlons, perhaps they should be called mini-merlons, or mini-merl's or mm's for short.  Cheesy

ezsha
ezsha
Tiercel

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02-Jun-12, 04:38:52 PM »

In heraldry, it appears the profile would be referred to as part of a 'chief battled embattled'.

(From http://www.heraldryclipart.com/Point/point_6.html)
Second from right.
« Last Edit: 02-Jun-12, 04:50:39 PM by ezsha » Logged
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02-Jun-12, 05:57:36 PM »

I have a very good friend that believes that north is ALWAYS the direction she is facing.  If she's facing south, she's facing north.  If she's facing east, she's facing north.  If she's facing west, she's facing north!   2funny

Peregrines know no borders.....
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02-Jun-12, 06:01:28 PM »

This is an art deco building.  Maybe you'll find your answer there?  Art Deco Architecture.

Peregrines know no borders.....
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02-Jun-12, 11:37:41 PM »

I'm with you Frank!  silly

Thank goodness!  I confess...I am the same way.   I have a good sense of direction, but all of the SW, EW, means nothing to me...I 'm with you all the way.
thing a bob on the building?      bump!
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-Jun-12, 08:07:42 AM »

I know the sun comes up in the East and sets in the West. My house faces North. other than that forget it.

I also don't do street names. Drive til you see the big Oak tree, turn there drive til you see...
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-Jun-12, 08:13:19 AM »

I know the sun comes up in the East and sets in the West. My house faces North. other than that forget it.

I also don't do street names. Drive til you see the big Oak tree, turn there drive til you see...

That's me too BC!   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: