THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 01:28:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cornell Hawk Cam  (Read 22550 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13-Aug-13, 06:22:32 PM »

Sad news-they euthanized the injured juvie today-they said the injuries were just too severe.  crying

We are sorry that we have more sad news to share today. Despite having been under the best possible, expert, care since Friday, the hawk had injuries that were ultimately too extensive and severe to enable recovery and quality of life. The veterinary team determined that it was time to euthanize the hawk. We are very sad, but also take comfort in knowing that he is no longer suffering and in pain.

Our heartfelt thanks to the veterinary staff at the Janet L. Swanson Wildlife Health Center who gave the hawk the best possible second chance. He would not have survived in the wild and the staff did everything they could to help this bird recover and make him comfortable. He received fluid therapy, nutritional supplements, and medications to control pain, infection, and parasites. He had assisted feeding because he could not eat on his own, and he could not stand. Because of tendon, joint, and nerve damage in both legs, and severe damage to his toes, including one missing toe and one toe that would have required amputation, he would likely never be able to stand or to capture and hold prey. His condition was reported as depressed and dehydrated despite fluid treatment. As anyone knows who has faced the difficult decision of euthanasia for a pet, this is always a very difficult decision to make and is guided by the current and probable future well-being of the patient.

We have requested the Wildlife Health Center to send us photos of the hawk’s plumage for identification clues that can be compared with images and observations of the young hawks we watched grow up together this season in Big Red's and Ezra’s nest. Circumstantial evidence, including observations from our dedicated on-the-ground observers, suggests the strong possibility that he was one of the Ds. Either way, today we can celebrate the life of young hawks and all that we’ve learned while getting to know and appreciate them. Many times in the chat we talk about the survivorship challenges for young birds, and though we all know this is the way of nature, it is still sad for us when we see it happen.

Thanks to all of you who have followed the hawks and to our cam moderators and to the BOGs for their observations on the ground. Your outpouring of positive words, good wishes, and support have meant so much to us, and to the staff who cared for this hawk during the past few days. What a lucky bird to have been valued and loved by so many.
« Last Edit: 13-Aug-13, 06:41:23 PM by Kris G. » Logged

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13-Aug-13, 08:09:09 PM »

Sad

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13-Aug-13, 08:29:58 PM »

Too many this year flying free...  crying

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13-Aug-13, 08:39:26 PM »

Sadness all around!  Sad

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13-Aug-13, 10:11:31 PM »

Way too many rough storms this year.   Sad

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21-Aug-13, 07:45:53 PM »

Hawk Update

Many of you have asked what led to the death of the young hawk found dead near Bradfield Hall on August 9. Thanks for your patience as we awaited the report from the Animal Health Diagnostic Center. The cause of death was determined to be blunt force trauma and associated internal bleeding, likely from a collision. We do not know whether a collision may have occurred with a vehicle, building, or other object. Other than its injuries, the young hawk appeared to be healthy and in good condition.

We know that young hawks face many challenges in their first year of life, from hatching to their first flight and on to being successful fliers, foragers, and breeders. It's a small solace to know that the hawk was in good condition and had been foraging successfully on its own.

Thank you for your support during these last difficult weeks, and for the outpouring of appreciation you've expressed about Big Red, Ezra, and family.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21-Aug-13, 10:25:20 PM »

Darn collisions! Deadly!! Sad   Thanks Kris

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29-Aug-13, 12:54:36 PM »

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2013/08/young-hawks-found-dead-injured-campus

Over the last few weeks, two juvenile hawks have died on Cornell’s campus, leading to an outpouring of public interest.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29-Aug-13, 01:06:56 PM »

This should be posted under Cornell Hawk Cam-Raptor web cams.

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 29-Aug-13, 01:11:46 PM »

Merged.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29-Aug-13, 02:19:17 PM »

Merged.

Yeah well, you know me! Sorry! Thanks

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19-Mar-14, 02:02:59 PM »

HURRAY!  First egg of the season for the Cornell red-tailed hawks!  Let's hope for no bad news for this nest this year.

http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/16/Red-tailed_Hawks/

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19-Mar-14, 02:10:10 PM »

HURRAY!  First egg of the season for the Cornell red-tailed hawks!  Let's hope for no bad news for this nest this year.

http://cams.allaboutbirds.org/channel/16/Red-tailed_Hawks/

Thanks!  I've been watching Big Red and Ezra, hoping an egg would be soon and, yes, hopefully a better year!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 26-Apr-14, 11:46:51 AM »

First confirmed pip today!

CornellRTHA Cam 'It's Daddy Time!' 8:04 am _4.26.14_

« Last Edit: 26-Apr-14, 12:10:29 PM by Kris G. » Logged

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 26-Apr-14, 12:52:34 PM »

YAY!!  Thanks, Kris!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: