THE FORUM

25-Apr-24, 09:41:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Panda news from the National Zoo  (Read 15190 times)
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« on: 17-Sep-12, 12:30:40 AM »

It's been reported that Mei and Tian Tian have a new cubby!  The first since Tai Shan!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17-Sep-12, 05:41:11 AM »

It's been reported that Mei and Tian Tian have a new cubby!  The first since Tai Shan!

OMG!  I've been afraid to watch...so many years of disappointment...most excellent news!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17-Sep-12, 06:29:13 AM »

Oh Happy Day...tears of joy this morning!!!!

bow bow bow bow   mbanana bguitar mbanana bguitar  clap
valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 17-Sep-12, 06:50:21 AM »

You guys should be in the DC market - this is a top news story
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17-Sep-12, 07:01:50 AM »

You say that like it's a bad thing LOL!  I saw Jeanne's note then I got it on FB.  NY news had NOTHING!

panda

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17-Sep-12, 07:13:26 AM »

Wonderful news!!

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-Sep-12, 07:21:59 AM »

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/National-Zoos-Giant-Panda-Gives-Birth-to-Cub-169997016.html

Also, Good Morning America just interviewed the head vet at the National Zoo (a phenomenal place, I might add) and she said Mei is the perfect panda parent!  The cub is loud and vocal! Mei tries to sleep but the cubby vocalizes and she immediately cradles him (or her)!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
annieinelkhart
Juvie

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17-Sep-12, 07:23:29 AM »

rofl Giddy with happiness but now can't get the player to work with this MAC!  Bummer!!  So will have to rely on other ways of getting to see this new little one!  Watched alot the last time!!

EVERY DAY I THANK OUR TROOPS FOR ALL THEY DO FOR US!  IT IS THE LEAST I CAN DO!
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17-Sep-12, 07:27:16 AM »

rofl Giddy with happiness but now can't get the player to work with this MAC!  Bummer!!  So will have to rely on other ways of getting to see this new little one!  Watched alot the last time!!

I don't know if this will help, but I usually watch on Daniel's multi cam page...

http://home.comcast.net/~dreidel/pandacams/index.html

you can see both National Zoo cams & it auto-refreshes

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17-Sep-12, 12:45:34 PM »

30 minutes long, but worth it!

http://youtu.be/Erlts7n64W0

valhalla
« Reply #10 on: 18-Sep-12, 05:17:15 AM »

You say that like it's a bad thing LOL!  I saw Jeanne's note then I got it on FB.  NY news had NOTHING!

panda

Sadly, with everything going on, it should be a bit further down the feed, of course this is the same market that believes the Deadskins are bound for the Superbowl with 1 win.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18-Sep-12, 03:44:10 PM »

September 18

Glimpse of the Smithsonian’s National Zoo’s Panda Cub
Smithsonian’s National Zoo staff and Panda Cam watchers have gotten several quick glimpses of female giant panda Mei Xiang’s cub. In this video, Sept. 17. at about 8:35 p.m. EST, Mei Xiang cradles the newborn and gently picks it up in her mouth as she shifts position. This is normal behavior and another sign that Mei Xiang is being an excellent mother to her new cub. By using her mouth, Mei Xiang can very gently and dexterously position her cub on her body so that she is able to nurse and groom it.

The cub actively squirms and vocalizes loudly in response—two good signs that the cub is healthy! Keepers report that Mei Xiang is exhibiting excellent maternal behaviors. She is prompt to cradle and groom the cub, and there is evidence that it is successfully nursing. The Zoo will continue to diligently monitor both bears over the Panda Cam and minimize disturbances around their den.

http://youtu.be/ltjs_-ULuA0

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18-Sep-12, 04:23:45 PM »

Very cute!  Thanks for posting!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20-Sep-12, 06:31:53 PM »

http://youtu.be/vuC4gvzcUZY

At about 7:54 a.m. Sept. 20, Mei Xiang gently picked the squealing cub up in her mouth before placing it on the ground to groom it.

Keepers continue to be encouraged by the cub’s activity and vocalizations—two signs that it is healthy. Mei Xiang is able to sleep for brief periods but promptly cradles, grooms and nurses her cub when it vocalizes. Zoo staff and volunteers are diligently monitoring both bears over the Panda Cam, minimizing disturbances around their den.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22-Sep-12, 07:33:09 AM »

Last night Mei left the den for the first time.  We noticed she seemed awfully restless and was up and down from the platform and then I went to bed and this morning I find she left the den for about 3 minutes.  She drank some water, did her business and came back!

A panda fan video taped some of it and you can clearly see the cub is healthy and chubby.  The most amazing part is towards the end, when she is coming back - she vocalizes and bleats to the cubbie that she's on her way and cubbie answers back!  Here is a link to the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtD7yDMZao#
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: