THE FORUM

26-Apr-24, 10:44:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet device advice  (Read 1317 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« on: 10-Feb-13, 06:21:24 PM »

Work has decided to block ustream, youtube, all photo sites...anything that even hints at "social networking". And the season will be upon us soon. So I'm pondering alternatives on a fairly limited budget.

Really just thinking out loud here...

I could get a phancy phone, but how much will I be able to see on a tiny screen? And the cost...yikes! I could get a phone free on my current plan for $50 extra/month for data.

Or buy a pre-paid phone for $100 and $50/month...all the cheap plans don't work around here...so no savings there unless I let it lapse during the off season. Don't know what sort of fees there might be if I did that to turn it back on. I hear the people at work say that if you get cut off for non-payment it's cheaper to toss the phone & buy new...hence they change their phones & numbers like their underwear.

I could add a tablet to the phancy phone plan for $10, but the cheapest one they offer is a $280 refurbished samsung galaxy. And it's still $60 more/month (assuming I don't go over my allotment). Same deal with a tablet & pre-paid data.

So I think anything that relies on cell signal is out. Plus I wouldn't be able to use it at home-I still live in a 1-bar zone.

Leaving me with wi-fi only tablets.

I took my simple nook reader to work Friday and there was actually a wi-fi signal I could lock onto. That was new since the last time I tried it there a few months ago. Bringing it again tomorrow to check again. And there's a secure wireless network they tell me IT guy will log you into for the purpose of "downloading books". I'm reluctant to count on that...too much activity & they may shut it down-it's supposed to be reserved for e-medical records which we don't have yet. But others are already doing it.

A weekend of shopping leaves me thinking the Kindle Fire (non HD) will be my least expensive reasonably functional choice.

I considered the Nook color-similar price and available used-but I've found there are more free book offerings for Kindle than there are for Nook, so I'm thinking Kindle would give me more options in the long run. I still want my e-ink simple Nook for most of my books.

Any thoughts from those of you who have bought and used any of these devices? Anything I haven't considered?

I know this is long winded, but...thanks for your help!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: