THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 02:33:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loch of Lowes webcam/2013  (Read 60696 times)
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 11-Aug-13, 10:34:29 AM »

Love how she leaves and let's dad do the rest! Be well Fair Lady and SEE you next year!

OH, yes!!! What a girl!!! Fare thee well, Lady!

The  star Lady  star is royalty as far as I'm concerned and I look forward to her return!  heart

ditto
ditto ditto
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 30-Aug-13, 08:45:52 AM »

Osprey Diary Thurs 29th August
Posted on August 29, 2013 by rangeremma
Not a lot of action on the osprey nest today – in fact we spent most of the morning watching the flies on a rather unsavoury left over fish tail in the nest! This in itself is a good sign though- it means neither of our two remaining ospreys are going hungry, or they’d have been back for it, flies not withstanding. The adult male did bring a fish in for our chick Blue YZ this afternoon so we know she isn’t too  hungry.

Q: Why do ospreys sometimes eat the fish tails and sometimes not?

A: It depends on how hungry they are, and the type of fish ( some  have larger stiffer tails). I have found a pile of fish tails below an ospreys favourite feeding perch before, and at Loch of the Lowes, most nights a fox wanders past the base of the  nest tree looking for any dropped tidbits.

Q: Do ospreys produce pellets like owls?

A: Great question! All raptors ( birds of prey) and many other predatory or scavenger birds ( like large gulls and Skuas) all produce pellets. These are regurgitated  inedible remains of their prey, such  as fur, hair, bones and beaks. As ospreys only eat fish, and fish scales are digestible and their  bones are cartilaginous ( rubbery) and easy to digest, they do not need to produce pellets.

Q: How long does an osprey take to kill a fish and how is it done?

A: This depends on the birds catching technique. Sometimes, if the bird gets a good hold on the fish in the water , it can pierce the fish’s brain or vital organs with its talons and it dies almost instantly. If not, it often quickly suffocates when it is taken from the water, as the bird carries it away. Occasionally if the bird returns to a nearby nest quickly, the fish will still be alive, and we have all seen this on the Lowes nest. In this case, the osprey invariably start eating the head first so this quickly kills the fish.

And the BIG question of the week…..

Q: How much longer will the ospreys be at Loch of the Lowes this year?

A: We don;t know exactly as every year their leaving date is a little different. Most often they leave around the end of August, or the first week of September, We have had juveniles still here into the second or even third week of September but this is less common. It can be influenced hugely by weather- a good northerly breeze and high  pressure are ideal for southwards migrations so check your weather forecast!

My advice is that if you wish to see the ospreys this season, come and visit Loch of the Lowes this weekend and wish them safe journeys!

The 2 juvies from the other nest

http://www.strathspey-herald.co.uk/News/Loch-Garten-ospreys-on-their-way-to-sunnier-climes-28082013.htm  The other 2 juvies from the Loch Garden have gone, both with transmitters and you can track them.  Story here

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 30-Aug-13, 12:11:09 PM »

Thanks for keeping the story going, Donna. A wonderful saga.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 06-Sep-13, 07:11:12 PM »

Blue YZ is on her way!

http://blogs.scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/osprey/2013/09/06/blue-yz-on-her-way/

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 06-Sep-13, 07:45:59 PM »

Safe travels YZ!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 19-Sep-13, 07:31:25 AM »

Yes Blue YZ is still in Spain, the latest data shows she’s been moving between the same three sites, Embalse (reservoir) de Piedras, the unnamed loch nearby and Represa (dam) del Almendro. So now it’s a waiting game, is she having a stopover like her brother Blue 44 did in France or is she preparing herself to move onto Africa or has she found her winter roost we’ll just have to wait and see. The latest satellite tracking data will be up on the site in an hour or so.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 12-Oct-13, 12:38:03 PM »

Satellite Tracking Udpate: Still Going Strong
Posted on October 11, 2013 by rangeremma

Blue YZ is still going strong on her perilous migration. As of yesterday she was in northern Mali, and was finally starting to make a turn south west towards the coast.

http://blogs.scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/osprey/2013/10/11/satellite-tracking-udpate-still-going-strong/

Oct. 12th
As promised, updates on news of our young satellite tracked osprey as soon as we have them. We too are on the edges of our seats waiting for each new set of data to see how our youngster is fairing.

As of 9pm last night ( Friday) she was in central Mauritania,  still following her SW or SSW trajectory. She is still flying well, at a fairly normal speed, and making good long flights.

http://blogs.scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/osprey/2013/10/12/blue-yz-the-latest-news/

So far, so good!    thumbsup

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 19-Oct-13, 12:32:06 PM »

Osprey satellite tracking update:

http://blogs.scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/osprey/2013/10/19/osprey-satellite-tracking-update-19th-october/

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 20-Oct-13, 12:46:53 PM »

Thanks, Kris! I have been greatly remiss in checking this site!
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 25-Oct-13, 10:19:11 PM »

She made it!  2thumbsup

http://blogs.scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/osprey/2013/10/21/news-update-shes-made-it-21st-october/

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 25-Oct-13, 10:46:24 PM »

That's great! Thanks!   heart

Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 26-Oct-13, 11:17:58 AM »

It's amazing to think of Osprey flying over the Sahara.

Paul
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 26-Oct-13, 09:50:12 PM »

It's amazing to think of Osprey flying over the Sahara.

Paul

Yeah, no kidding Paul!  surprise

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 27-Oct-13, 09:24:42 AM »

Our two young birds in Africa continue to do well and are sending us fascinating information regularly. Their  transmitter tags are programmed to collect location information every hour , where available, and then transmit that info  to the satellite at set intervals: during peak migration, every 2 days, but as of next week, every four days. So don’t worry if you haven’t heard any news of Blue YZ and Blue YD for a few days- we will continue to give you the latest news as soon as we have it.

http://blogs.scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/osprey/2013/10/27/osprey-satellite-tracking-update-27th-october/

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 20-Nov-13, 07:24:25 AM »

Grave concerns for Blue YZ.  Sad

http://blogs.scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/osprey/2013/11/19/grave-concerns-for-blue-yz/

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: