THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 04:28:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buffalo Falcon News 2013  (Read 110542 times)
~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« on: 22-Jan-13, 03:48:22 PM »

I just posted the CT news on the Offspring thread.

At UB, BB and Yankee are being seen, here BB is on her perch and Yankee way up top.

At the waterfront/grain elevator area, Carl just saw two adult pefas stooping on pigeons and Jacquie recently had to retrieve a Cooper's Hawk with its throat torn out, in the very same area. It could easly be Statler birds but it also could be the elusive Jean and we need to discover where they have been nesting.

The female from the Grand Island North Bridge has been spotted recently. 

Two sightings of a juvie pefa at Squaw Island also, with a red band, but Buffalo would not have a juvie with a red band right now.   Possibly an Ohio bird. 

The title of this thread includes "2012".  If we should continue on with this thread, can that reference be removed or should a 2013 thread be started?

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22-Jan-13, 06:03:41 PM »

Thanks Sage! Things are going to start picking up before we know it!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
~Sage~
Juvie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 23-Jan-13, 04:13:33 PM »

So recently, Jacquie retrieved a Coopers with its throat torn out from someone's front lawn, obviously from an encounter with a Peregrine,
Then Carl spotted two pefas in the very same area, flushing pigeons!
Today, Roger and I went to the spot and sure enough, large numbers of pigeons were being flushed from an ADM site.  Two pefas were spotted again and again, though sometimes they all went down on the opposite side of the elevators, so we couldn't be sure if any were caught over there but we didn't see them get lucky from our vantage point.
This could be the Statler pair, OR, it could be the grain elevator pair, whose female was ID'd as Jean from Syracuse by Joyce!
I haven't looked at my pix yet, but most were shot towards the sun so probably just a bunch of silhouettes.
For anyone who may be thinking of making a visit, there are many good spots to view from, but don't come alone.  Let me know and we can likely meet up.  It's in the Old First Ward, Ohio St and St Clair.  Bison Rod and Gun Club parking lot is a good starting point.  Really need to ID this pair!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22-Feb-13, 06:05:21 PM »

http://www.buffalo.edu/falconcam.html Live cam

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28-Feb-13, 12:13:35 AM »

Joyce and I went to Buffalo on Monday for a falcon watch and on the way home we stopped near the Iroquois Wildlife Refuge to check out Short-eared owls. The link below is for my album from the day.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AaN3DFm0ZMWrW5g

-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-Feb-13, 07:49:39 PM »

It's good to have the live cam back. One of the birds was on the perch today:

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-Mar-13, 06:01:51 PM »

Kitten just posted this over at BCAW...I can't believe they would do this  crying

State officials to place peregrine falcon in permanent care facility

BUFFALO, N.Y. – State wildlife officials today safely captured a female peregrine falcon that had been nesting in MacKay Tower on the University at Buffalo’s South Campus.

The capture came after the state Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), in consultation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS), determined it was in the best interest of the falcon, as well as UB and the surrounding community, to place the bird in a federally-permitted facility for permanent care.

Since 2010, the falcon has exhibited aggressive behavior by swooping down on people working on rooftops, as well as pedestrians on and near South Campus. The incidents occurred during late spring and early summer when the bird had newly hatched chicks.

Two such incidents - one in which a UB employee suffered lacerations to the head - were reported this month, marking the first time the falcon exhibited the behavior before May. The potential for more incidents led DEC officials to decide to relocate the falcon.

“This type of behavior among peregrine falcons is unprecedented,” said Mark Kandel, DEC regional wildlife manager, who led the capture effort. “By placing the bird with a rehabilitator, we will have prevented it from potentially harming someone and vice versa.”

The male falcon will likely find another mate and remain in MacKay Tower or it could be displaced by another pair of peregrine falcons, Kandel said.

Threatened by pesticides, peregrine falcons were considered an endangered species by the federal government until 1999 when recovery efforts prompted their removal from the list.

They are still listed as endangered by New York, which works to boost the state’s population of the bird. The effort is working, especially in Western New York which has seven nesting pairs, up from one 20 years ago, Kandel said.

UB supports the state’s effort. For example, university officials installed a nesting box that the falcons used to rear some of the 15 birds that they produced. UB also featured the nest on a web cam to promote understanding of the birds, a practice it plans to continue after the male finds a new mate or a new pair moves in.

Editors note: A previous version of this article stated the bird would be placed in a rehabilitation facility, which could imply that it will be released. The bird will be placed in permanent care facility.

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2013/03/017.html
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-Mar-13, 06:23:32 PM »

Can't believe this! Was she that aggressive? I know she swooped a few times at people when she had babies. So sad! She attacked someone?  Sad

~Sage~
Juvie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 13-Mar-13, 06:26:29 PM »

Yes Donna, she was aggressive.

DEC was called to a meeting at UB about an attack BB made on a man walking to his car, 1600 ft from the nest. The man was quite bloodied and the incident was captured on the UB security cam and played for the DEC.

It was UB's decision which the DEC had to go along with, that BB must be removed from the site. The DEC managed to safely get her in a mist? net on the roof.  Yankee was on hand, screaming. BB was not injured and was surprisingly good on being handled.  She was transported to a safe site. Her future is uncertain but she cannot be released anywhere because of her extreme aggressiveness.

Many attacks by BB have been reported in the past, but they were usually during fledge times.  She has put UB at too much risk now with her strange behavior.  I have always pleaded that she of course attacks during that few weeks around fledge time. I have personally told neighborhood people walking their dogs through the area to leave, and walk close to buildings as they  do so.

UB is okay with having Peregrines on site and Yankee will stay. It is hoped that he can yet attract a mate migrating through the area in time for this season.

BB gave us fifteen chicks and she is in our hearts forever.
« Last Edit: 26-Mar-13, 06:01:46 PM by ~Sage~ » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-Mar-13, 06:31:30 PM »

Ahh, so sorry! I guess they did what they had to! Poor BB.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-Mar-13, 06:35:18 PM »

Sage, I'm so very sorry for you - I know how much time and effort you put in watching over her and to everyone else who loved and followed her...my heart goes out to you all and to her.   She will never fly free again and that makes me want to cry and it makes me ashamed to be a part of the human race.   Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13-Mar-13, 06:51:51 PM »

BB was one of my favorites and I'll miss her. I hope Yankee can find another mate. Sad all the way around... heart

-John Burroughs
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 13-Mar-13, 06:53:57 PM »

There wasn't much else that could be done after she attacked someone a quarter mile from the scrape without apparent cause. Hopefully she will become an educational bird and/or be allowed to raise eyases that will released into the wild.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13-Mar-13, 07:17:37 PM »

There wasn't much else that could be done after she attacked someone a quarter mile from the scrape without apparent cause. Hopefully she will become an educational bird and/or be allowed to raise eyases that will released into the wild.

That would be nice!

~Sage~
Juvie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 13-Mar-13, 07:26:27 PM »

It's now up to US Fish & Wildlife. It's totally their call.  BB's mom was aggressive also. BB's actions are unprecedented and unexpected, even in urban settings. We love her so much and it hurts so bad.

I cannot imagine her in a captive setting. It's unlikely she would ever be allowed to produce more chicks  as they are not sure where that aggressive streak came from.  I hope it hasn't been passed on.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 20   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: