THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 10:19:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Syracuse Falcons  (Read 140374 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 22-Jul-15, 10:21:32 AM »

Shocked Great news if it's him!!  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 22-Jul-15, 05:07:11 PM »

So, in case anyone missed the comment update below, the Churchill lead was a dead end. We did find a coopers hawk which is what they must have seen but he was not interested in climbing into the net so we gave him some holes to get out of and will check back in.
We are still hopeful churchill will turn up however, if he does not turn up we still made great strides this year having 2 of 3 hatchlings still flying eating and keeping us on our toes!

I had my doubts, it's been too long!!

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 23-Jul-15, 08:18:31 PM »

We have a solid lead on Churchhills location!!!!! Me and DEC will be investigating a vacant building with permission from its owners at 11:30 and hope to find churchill there, we have been told there is for sure a bird of prey trapped in the building!!!
Cross you fingers!

Is this possible since he has been missing since the end of June?? Maybe mom and dad drop off food???? I hope this is true and he is OK...

I am missing something here . . . is Churchill one of the juvies? If so, I do hope you find him and that he is okay.

Love the photo of Aurora.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 23-Jul-15, 08:36:28 PM »

We have a solid lead on Churchhills location!!!!! Me and DEC will be investigating a vacant building with permission from its owners at 11:30 and hope to find churchill there, we have been told there is for sure a bird of prey trapped in the building!!!
Cross you fingers!

Is this possible since he has been missing since the end of June?? Maybe mom and dad drop off food???? I hope this is true and he is OK...

I am missing something here . . . is Churchill one of the juvies? If so, I do hope you find him and that he is okay.

Love the photo of Aurora.

Churchill was the only male out of the 3 babies that Pigott had this year. He's not been seen for several weeks now..went missing not too long after he fledged.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 23-Jul-15, 09:07:40 PM »

Churchill was the only male out of the 3 babies that Pigott had this year. He's not been seen for several weeks now..went missing not too long after he fledged.

Thank you, Kris! I do hope Churchill will turn up safe somewhere.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 23-Jul-15, 09:10:03 PM »

So, in case anyone missed the comment update below, the Churchill lead was a dead end. We did find a coopers hawk which is what they must have seen but he was not interested in climbing into the net so we gave him some holes to get out of and will check back in.
We are still hopeful churchill will turn up however, if he does not turn up we still made great strides this year having 2 of 3 hatchlings still flying eating and keeping us on our toes!

I had my doubts, it's been too long!!

I am sorry that the bird turned out not to be Churchill. I hope he will turn up safe and well.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 28-Oct-15, 02:23:03 PM »

Mysterious bird eaten by peregrine falcon in downtown Syracuse identified

While walking to the office this morning in downtown Syracuse, I looked down on the ground at Hanover Square and noticed an unusual-looking bird wing on the ground.

It was the remains of a bird that apparently had been killed and eaten by one of the peregrine falcons nesting on top of the nearby State Tower Building.
In the downtown's "circle of life," peregrines routinely feed on pigeons, which frequent city streets in great numbers. It's not uncommon to find their remains (bones, feathers, etc.) on the ground at Hanover Square and on nearby streets and sidewalks.
But this wing I found had a much different look. There were streaks of yellow on the upper wing, and more pronounced yellow feathers visible on the bottom part.

I took pictures of the wing and forwarded them to Laura Erickson, author and former science editor at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology. Her thoughts?

"Northern flicker," she said. "The eastern form of the species is called a yellow-shafted flicker for obvious reasons--obvious as shown in the photos, at least."
According to allaboutbird.org, "Flickers are fairly large woodpeckers with a slim, rounded head, slightly down-curved bill, and long, flared tail that tapers to a point."

Their habitat? "Look for flickers in open habitats near trees, including woodlands, edges, yards, and parks."

But how did this woodpecker end up meeting a grisly death in downtown Syracuse? The website provided a clue: "The northern flicker is one of the few North American woodpeckers that is strongly migratory. Flickers in the northern parts of their range move south for the winter, although a few individuals often stay rather far north."

Was this bird just migrating through downtown Syracuse, minding its own business when a peregrine took it down for a meal?

"It's a perfectly reasonable speculation," Erickson said. " We find flicker wings and feathers along Lake Superior during migration every year. They're very predictable fliers with a lot of meat, so they seem to be a preferred meal for hawks and falcons."

Pigott

By David Figura | dfigura@syracuse.com
Follow on Twitter
on October 27, 2015 at 1:22 PM, updated October 27, 2015 at 7:21 PM

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 28-Oct-15, 04:21:59 PM »

I miss Pigott! She looks pretty fierce in that pic.  heart

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 05-Nov-15, 04:08:55 PM »

Hi, again - Piggot is sitting on the perch of the nest box. No photos at the moment, overcast and high up so a photo is not worth taking - I heard her chattering as she flew from
Bank of America, then she landed. It's good seeing her around more frequently!

John Anthony DeNicola‎   FB    2thumbsup

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 05-Nov-15, 06:16:44 PM »

Hi, again - Piggot is sitting on the perch of the nest box. No photos at the moment, overcast and high up so a photo is not worth taking - I heard her chattering as she flew from
Bank of America, then she landed. It's good seeing her around more frequently!

John Anthony DeNicola‎   FB    2thumbsup

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 19-Nov-15, 12:13:43 PM »

Thank you for the update on Pigott! It's good to know she has been seen. She is a gorgeous falcon.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 02-Dec-15, 11:32:37 AM »

Hi all, just letting you know that Pigott has been in the area (state tower bldg) quite often.. I see her a lot on the spires of the Bank of America bldg and resting on the Andrews Sedgewick and Kennedy Building across the Square (Hanover) in sight from my office space...   2thumbsup

John Anthony DeNicola

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 02-Dec-15, 11:46:04 AM »

Hi all, just letting you know that Pigott has been in the area (state tower bldg) quite often.. I see her a lot on the spires of the Bank of America bldg and resting on the Andrews Sedgewick and Kennedy Building across the Square (Hanover) in sight from my office space...   2thumbsup

John Anthony DeNicola

thumbsup thanks2

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 23-Dec-15, 10:42:47 PM »

Just updating again. I saw Pigott perched on nestbox again. As I was sitting at my desk (I now face St Joe's), I heard a lot of sqwawking and then saw Pigott and I think George fly by. I may step out in a few to see if they are perched again nearby...

John Anthony DeNicola‎  thumbsup

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 06-Jan-16, 01:20:45 PM »

Piggot is hanging around again, just came inside from a walk (w camera). Pigott is feeding on a building across from the steakhouse in Hanover Square... She's making a mess... Feathers and parts flying everywhere. I'll try to post photos tonight.

John Anthony DeNicola‎

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: