THE FORUM

19-Sep-24, 11:01:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 ... 278   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2010 Pictures from the Rfalconcam cameras  (Read 1869496 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: 04-Apr-10, 08:07:06 PM »

Pan cam moved

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #586 on: 04-Apr-10, 08:28:54 PM »

We moved the camera to get a view of the near end of the plank. It's one of Beauty's favorite perches.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: 04-Apr-10, 08:32:02 PM »

We moved the camera to get a view of the near end of the plank. It's one of Beauty's favorite perches.

Ah Hah!  So we've been thinking she's off gallivanting when she's been right there all along!  Sherlock Holmes

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #588 on: 04-Apr-10, 08:37:54 PM »

I can't say for sure that she was there all along. All I know is what I tweeted to the board Friday and yesterday. Both days she was on the north (near) end of the plank.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: 04-Apr-10, 08:43:21 PM »

It's just funny how a tiny move of the camera can make such a difference...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
birdlover
Eyas

Like Count: 18

"Mariah Is Home" 5-29-09

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: 05-Apr-10, 12:25:51 AM »

12:20 AM - 4/5

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: 05-Apr-10, 06:44:59 AM »

Beauty
Now if she would only stay in that position.
Testing
Testing done
Yes, time is ticking away

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: 05-Apr-10, 07:51:26 AM »

Question:

Last year they spent all that time over on Midtown and there was no sign of a scrap or eggs. Is it possible that there could be something wrong with one of them that they can't produce any viable eggs? I hope not that would be a major bummer. I thought I read of a pair in Canada that doesn't lay viable eggs. That is what made me ask.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: 05-Apr-10, 08:00:53 AM »

Beauty at the Nestbox.

Peregrines know no borders.....
valhalla
« Reply #594 on: 05-Apr-10, 08:02:55 AM »

Question:

Last year they spent all that time over on Midtown and there was no sign of a scrap or eggs. Is it possible that there could be something wrong with one of them that they can't produce any viable eggs? I hope not that would be a major bummer. I thought I read of a pair in Canada that doesn't lay viable eggs. That is what made me ask.

I'm thinking the same thought, but we could be used to earlier eggs based on M&K and A&B could be on a different cycle.  This thought led me to another question:  We know that hormones drive this entire process - is it possible that the female needs a steady diet of the male (attention, not only mating, but the entire process of courtship) to get the egg/fertilization process started?  Different or additional hormones?
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: 05-Apr-10, 08:10:10 AM »

Question:

Good question.  Although we didn't find evidence of a scrape or any eggs at Midtown, there is no proof that either Mariah or Beauty didn't lay eggs there.  The spot they chose was little more than a gutter, so all evidence was probably swept away by the heavy rains that hit Rochester at that time.

Ranger, Mariah and Cabot-Sirocco's daughter, has been up in Toronto (and still is as far as we know) for many years and has laid eggs that have not hatched.  Mark Nash told me that he believes that it was due to not chosing their nestsites wisely.  But, who can say for sure.

So, I guess it's just a matter of patience.  I believe Ei's records showed that Mariah did not lay eggs until 2-3 weeks after Kaver's arrival to Rochester.  Keep watching those cameras!  wave

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: 05-Apr-10, 08:17:04 AM »

Question:

I'm thinking the same thought, but we could be used to earlier eggs based on M&K and A&B could be on a different cycle.  This thought led me to another question:  We know that hormones drive this entire process - is it possible that the female needs a steady diet of the male (attention, not only mating, but the entire process of courtship) to get the egg/fertilization process started?  Different or additional hormones?

We need a avian biologist to answer this question!  But I am sure that every Peregrine pair is different.

While on Watch this weekend, I couldn't help but compare A&B's behavour to M&K's.  They are totally different!

When a Turkey Vulture ventured into the air space in front of the Times Square building, Archer who was sitting on the nestbox, never challenged the TV.  Not even any vocalizing.  Mariah would have sounded the alarm and Kaver would have been out in a flash!  TV surfing was one of his favorite activities.   laugh

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: 05-Apr-10, 08:20:15 AM »

Question:

Good question.  Although we didn't find evidence of a scrape or any eggs at Midtown, there is no proof that either Mariah or Beauty didn't lay eggs there.  The spot they chose was little more than a gutter, so all evidence was probably swept away by the heavy rains that hit Rochester at that time.

Ranger, Mariah and Cabot-Sirocco's daughter, has been up in Toronto (and still is as far as we know) for many years and has laid eggs that have not hatched.  Mark Nash told me that he believes that it was due to not chosing their nestsites wisely.  But, who can say for sure.

So, I guess it's just a matter of patience.  I believe Ei's records showed that Mariah did not lay eggs until 2-3 weeks after Kaver's arrival to Rochester.  Keep watching those cameras!  wave

Yes, my notes show an average of 22.57 days from first Kaver sighting to first egg.  There was also this note posted by Donna re: Dori & Louie at Gulf Towers-Archer arived March 21-just 2 weeks ago.

At the Gulf Tower peregrine nest, Dori laid her first egg last night, Friday April 2, at 10:45pm.  She laid it in the same scrape where Tasha, the former resident female, had laid her two eggs before she lost the site to Dori.

According to Birds of North America Online, for peregrines “completed copulations begin at least 2 wk prior to egg-laying.”  Dori won the site on March 20 so my mental calculation had her first egg arriving two weeks later.  This first egg is right on time – even a little early.  

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: 05-Apr-10, 08:25:42 AM »

Beauty is back...giving us her fierce look  Smiley

ezsha
Tiercel

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: 05-Apr-10, 08:39:47 AM »

A joint appearance for one frame only....

Is anything wrong with B's left talon, or is it normal to perch flamingo style for long periods - this is the second day I've noticed it?
(movie)
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 ... 278   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: