THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 04:34:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seneca Towers Falcons  (Read 104653 times)
Msradell
Big Clutch

Like Count: 2

View Profile
« on: 03-May-14, 11:48:07 PM »

I've read a couple of references to a pair of Falcons at Seneca towers but really haven't found much information about them.  Does anybody know much about them such as where they are from or their names?  Do they have a nest box with eggs that they are taking turns incubating?
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04-May-14, 05:45:57 AM »

I've read a couple of references to a pair of Falcons at Seneca towers but really haven't found much information about them.  Does anybody know much about them such as where they are from or their names?  Do they have a nest box with eggs that they are taking turns incubating?

Msradell, we have just recently been seeing these 2 falcons on Seneca Towers. The female is a 1 year old juvenile with green over black leg bands-we haven't been able to get the numbers on them yet but we suspect this may be Billy who has been around all winter and seen at Russell Station and the Summerville area by Lake Ontario. The male is unbanded so we will not be able to ID him. They've also been seen at the Kodak research building (Kodak Park) on Lake Ave. They have been seen trying to mate but she doesn't quite know how it's done yet so they most likely have no nest site or eggs.  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08-May-14, 05:31:13 PM »

Here's a photo I took this past Sunday of the Seneca Towers pair frolicking on the winds over the river.  Note the split wing feathers on the tiercel's right wing (top bird). 
wouldn't it be cool if he was one of Mariah's produced after she left Rochester? It coulda happened  wub2
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08-May-14, 06:34:17 PM »

Here's a photo I took this past Sunday of the Seneca Towers pair frolicking on the winds over the river.  Note the split wing feathers on the tiercel's right wing (top bird). 
wouldn't it be cool if he was one of Mariah's produced after she left Rochester? It coulda happened  wub2

Yep, sure coulda!    yes

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-May-14, 08:22:59 AM »

This juvie female is from Luzerne County, PA!! Just need a name! She can breed right now!

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-May-14, 01:52:16 PM »

Wow, just two months ago the official count in Rochester was two Ontarians and one Pennsylvanian.  Now it's one Ontarian, two Pennsylvanians, and one universal (The Seneca Towers tiercel).  Hard to keep up! 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13-May-14, 03:16:48 PM »

I'm happy to report about the Seneca Towers female-thru the team work of my good friends Donna Cook and Tracy Simpson from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation we have information from the man who banded this 1 year old Peregrine. Below is a copy of the emails sent by all 3. And congrats to Lou Capuano who got the ID on this falcon with his long lens camera this past weekend.

Thank you one and all!!

On Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:31 PM, F. Arthur McMorris <mcmorris@mac.com> wrote:
To: Donna Cook

Hello Donna,

Many thanks for calling back and giving me your e-mail address, and thanks for confirming the sighting location, in Rochester New York. Below is the information about 67/AR. Please keep me in the loop about how she does, this year and (hopefully) for many years into the future!

Here’s the link to the site where you can report your sighting to the Bird Banding Laboratory at the US Fish and Wildlife Service:

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/

If you have an questions about reporting, just let me know.

Best regards,

Art

F. Arthur McMorris, Ph.D.
Peregrine Falcon coordinator
Pennsylvania Game Commission
405 Bryn Mawr Ave.
Bala-Cynwyd, PA  19004
610-664-2174
610-220-6566 cell

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "F. Arthur McMorris" <mcmorris@mac.com>
> Subject: Re: Possible Peregrine Band Recovery
> Date: May 13, 2014 at 11:45:25 AM EDT
> To: Tracy Simpson <tracy@peregrine-foundation.ca>
>
> Hello Tracy,
>
> Yes, 67/AR Black/Green is a female that was banded at the nest on a cliff in Luzerne County, PA, on May 20, 2013. There were 3 in the nest: 2 females and a “sex uncertain” bird that was probably male.
>
> Many thanks for this information. I received a phone call this morning from “E Cook” (phone caller ID; I did not catch the name of the caller) about this same bird - I presume that was your friend, the finder?
>
> Many thanks for the information; very good to hear that she’s out there and doing well in the world. We’ve seen juveniles nest successfully in PA, both females and males; maybe 67/AR will do the same. Please keep me in the loop about future developments.
>
> Art
>
> F. Arthur McMorris, Ph.D.
> Peregrine Falcon coordinator
> Pennsylvania Game Commission
> 405 Bryn Mawr Ave.
> Bala-Cynwyd, PA  19004
> 610-664-2174
> 610-220-6566 cell
>
>
>
> On May 12, 2014, at 11:39 PM, Tracy Simpson <tracy@peregrine-foundation.ca> wrote:
>
>> Hello Mr. McMorris,
>>
>> I have a friend in Rochester, New York that has a female peregrine juvenile banded Blk / Grn 67 AR that has been hanging around her apartment building for about a month now with an unbanded male.  This friend is a watcher of peregrines and knows how to read a band so I am confident in her recovery.  She writes,
>>
>>
>> I wanted to inquire whether this might be one of your birds?  If she is, would you be able to provide me with a bit of information on her hatch location that I could share with the NY folks?
>>
>> Any help you could be would be most appreciated and I will let you know if she does nest.
>>
>> I look forward to hearing from you.
>>
>> Tracy Simpson
>> Raptor Centre and Education Coordinator
>> The Canadian Peregrine Foundation
>>
>
« Last Edit: 13-May-14, 05:29:42 PM by Shaky » Logged

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-May-14, 03:40:04 PM »

Yes, she is a Cliff born falcon, so awesome!! Art was so nice and he is going to Google the area to find where she is. She has no name, soooo, here we go! He also said it's very possible that she could lay eggs at this age and if one of them disappear, they are nesting!! I looked and looked on the net for a 67/AR, found the before and after numbers but not that one. Frustrating when Google does not know!! Anyway, she's here and will they both stay!!  devil

Obviously, Tracy and I both contacted the same guy for when I called him this am, he said, I emailed you the info! I did try and send an email last night to another guy not Art and was looking at the phone when I hung up and said HUH??? Anyway, I called him earlier and let him know it wasn't me that emailed him and it was probably Tracy. He said yes, it was Tracy from Canada, so he figured since he had me on the phone, he would take my email and send out the info. I'm so relieved we now know where she is from. NNF/NoNameFemale!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13-May-14, 03:44:36 PM »

How cool that she's from a natural cliff scrape! Good detective work!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-May-14, 03:45:30 PM »

After you posted this AM about Luzerne Co. PA, I googled it and it came up about a banding at a cliff nest last year and I wondered if she might have been one of them.  Guess a name for her is in order too!  Thanks, Donna and Tracy for all your efforts...they paid off!   thumbsup
« Last Edit: 13-May-14, 04:38:10 PM by Kris G. » Logged

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13-May-14, 04:17:03 PM »

Great team work ladies!  Now you get to 'name' another falcon too  2thumbsup

I've seen a few one year olds lay eggs at this time of year in the past - usually only two as it's later in the season so not too late for another falcon baby or two.
« Last Edit: 13-May-14, 05:03:39 PM by carly » Logged
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13-May-14, 05:52:51 PM »

I've been off the beam for ages - but the Seneca Towers story is so interesting! Good work, all!!
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14-May-14, 02:32:03 PM »

MAK said these 2 haven't been seen since last weekend...wonder if they're nesting or left the area.  We might not need names for them after all. 

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14-May-14, 05:40:24 PM »

MAK said these 2 haven't been seen since last weekend...wonder if they're nesting or left the area.  We might not need names for them after all. 

Isn't there a nest box somewhere where they were seen or am I thinking of someone else?  A nest box that hasn't been used I seem to remember?
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 14-May-14, 05:43:27 PM »

Isn't there a nest box somewhere where they were seen or am I thinking of someone else?  A nest box that hasn't been used I seem to remember?

That would be Hawkeye, I think MAK saw the male there once or twice but lately they have been spotted under the bridge. Either they have eggs or like Kris said, they left. I hope not!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: