THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 02:23:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banding & Naming Questions  (Read 25365 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 12-Jun-14, 06:56:48 AM »

Just an idea   thumbsup I would never want to put any eyas in danger  Cry. Thats why I wondered if it were done safely at other sites to see how difficult it is to put together. You have such lovely little parks in Rochester and dedicated watchers its sad to hear they dont get to see any bandings anymore since Kodak. I remember the school children that used to love to name an eyas and I could just imagine their little faces when they saw them up close after watching them for weeks on the cams. I bet many of those children grew up with a love of nature because of those times and events
From here in NJ I thank you all for what you do putting together the videos so I can share in the day each year. Enjoying the new and reminiscing about the ole  falcon

That was very well said Caitie.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 12-Jun-14, 07:16:49 AM »

Just an idea   thumbsup I would never want to put any eyas in danger  Cry. Thats why I wondered if it were done safely at other sites to see how difficult it is to put together. You have such lovely little parks in Rochester and dedicated watchers its sad to hear they dont get to see any bandings anymore since Kodak. I remember the school children that used to love to name an eyas and I could just imagine their little faces when they saw them up close after watching them for weeks on the cams. I bet many of those children grew up with a love of nature because of those times and events
From here in NJ I thank you all for what you do putting together the videos so I can share in the day each year. Enjoying the new and reminiscing about the ole  falcon

Hi Caitie!  Thanks for sharing your idea.   wave

Peregrines know no borders.....
~Ruth
Juvie

Like Count: 19

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 12-Jun-14, 07:44:51 AM »

think the banding should be done as close to 'home' as possible to keep the time away as short as possible to keep the stress as low as possible.
DoggyMom
Fluffball

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 14-Jun-14, 08:10:17 AM »

I've read the FAQs about how to tell Beauty and Archer apart and how to tell Beauty and Dot.ca apart. On both it says that Beauty has a green and black band on her left leg and that the males have all black bands. Is this is always the case -- females get green/black bands and males get all black bands. I've noticed at least two of the eyas have green/black bands so wonder if that means those are female.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 14-Jun-14, 08:14:12 AM »

I've read the FAQs about how to tell Beauty and Archer apart and how to tell Beauty and Dot.ca apart. On both it says that Beauty has a green and black band on her left leg and that the males have all black bands. Is this is always the case -- females get green/black bands and males get all black bands. I've noticed at least two of the eyas have green/black bands so wonder if that means those are female.

The difference is where they hatched. Archer & Dot.ca were both hatched in Canada which uses black/black vid bands. Black/green is eastern US. Black/red is Midwest US. California also uses black/black.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 14-Jun-14, 08:17:39 AM »

The difference is where they hatched. Archer & Dot.ca were both hatched in Canada which uses black/black vid bands. Black/green is eastern US. Black/red is Midwest US. California also uses black/black.
Addendum...Black/red was used in the east at one time. The usfws band on the other leg is silver in eastern US & Canada. It's purple in the Midwest.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: