THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 05:22:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banding & Naming Questions  (Read 25370 times)
glothom
Fledgling

Like Count: 5

View Profile
« on: 31-May-14, 01:32:59 PM »

Has a date been set for banding our little foursome? And will we be suggesting and voting on names again this year?

glo...
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 31-May-14, 02:35:58 PM »

Has a date been set for banding our little foursome? And will we be suggesting and voting on names again this year?

I contacted June Summers (GVAS) yesterday to ask if she had a date for banding and she said she expects to hear from Jenny Landry (DEC) next week.  Wink

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 31-May-14, 03:13:49 PM »

And will we be suggesting and voting on names again this year?

Yes.
glothom
Fledgling

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31-May-14, 03:45:22 PM »

Awesome. Now I guess I better start doing some research for names I want to suggest.

glo...
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-Jun-14, 09:03:55 AM »

Just been wondering why banding of Times Square falcons is such a quiet event compared to the hoopla that was always surrounding the Kodak Office banding events where there were usually school children involved and it was a big deal!? We barely get notice of when the bandings will take place since Beauty came to town.  Sad

-John Burroughs
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-Jun-14, 09:31:13 AM »

Been wondering that myself, MAK. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-Jun-14, 10:16:00 AM »

I may be way off base, but I suspect it's that Kodak sponsored the hoopla. Once they evicted Mariah & Kaver Kodak wanted nothing more to do with the falcons in any way, shape or form.

We're on our own now without a corporate sponsor to host it. While the businesses at Times Square love having them there, it's a lot of smaller companies. I don't think it would be realistic to expect them to throw a big bash.

And while we have a wonderful group here very few of us are actually there. And what funds we have need to be dedicated to keeping the equipment running.

Just my opinion.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04-Jun-14, 10:28:49 AM »

Good points, Ei.  Also, it's probably not good for the birds to have too much hoopla.  Still, I think there is enough interest here to have something, and I'd love to see a school get involved with naming one of the falcons again. 

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 04-Jun-14, 11:31:08 AM »

DEC would prefer to keep it simple. Hoopla complicates things. Without an overarching organization with experience in hosting large meetings like Kodak had to handle the logistics, things can get out of hand quickly. We tried it in 2010, and things got enough out of hand to make DEC request that banding be kept simple.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04-Jun-14, 11:47:48 AM »

Thank you!

-John Burroughs
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04-Jun-14, 12:24:23 PM »

Okay, good to know.  Smiley

glothom
Fledgling

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04-Jun-14, 01:14:46 PM »

DEC would prefer to keep it simple. Hoopla complicates things. Without an overarching organization with experience in hosting large meetings like Kodak had to handle the logistics, things can get out of hand quickly. We tried it in 2010, and things got enough out of hand to make DEC request that banding be kept simple.

I read the reasons for no hoopla, but I still wonder why it takes so long for them to let us know when the banding will take place. It seems the last couple years we don't find out the date till a day or 2 before!

glo...
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 04-Jun-14, 02:29:34 PM »

I read the reasons for no hoopla, but I still wonder why it takes so long for them to let us know when the banding will take place. It seems the last couple years we don't find out the date till a day or 2 before!

Because things can get out of hand quickly.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04-Jun-14, 04:41:08 PM »

Probably won't get an answer but how does giving forum members a heads-up on banding day create a 'hoopla'?  Guess I don't get it.  confused
« Last Edit: 04-Jun-14, 06:46:40 PM by Kris G. » Logged

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 04-Jun-14, 07:22:04 PM »

Probably won't get an answer but how does giving forum members a heads-up on banding day create a 'hoopla'?  Guess I don't get it.  confused

If we could keep it  to Forum members only, it might not get out of control, but the Forum can be read by anyone on the Internet, and it regularly is. There's no telling what could happen once the information gets out. Without assurances that order could be maintained, DEC is left with no choice but to follow a policy of better safe than sorry.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: