THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 09:33:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 ... 129   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2015 Pictures from the Rfalconcam Cameras  (Read 718734 times)
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: 01-Oct-15, 11:25:36 AM »

You know, before Beauty and Dot.ca started expressing an interest in the Powers nestbox, I was thinking it would be nice to move it to Seneca Towers so that Billie and Seth could have it, not only because they need one but because it once belonged to Billie's grandma and grandpa.  What a hopeless sentimental slob I am!   laugh

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: 01-Oct-15, 12:06:34 PM »

Grrrrr

That old camera is still good enough to ID the falcon as Dot.Ca.

BTW, that camera is the original Aafkecam, something you old-timers may remember.

So for somebody who's only watched the last 9 yrs, how did the cam come to be named after Aafke?

The Aafkecam was Kodak Birdcam's one and only Infrared (IR) "night vision" camera. It was installed in nest box in the early 2000's to allow us to see the falcons better at night.

At the time, there were very few active members of the Birdcam discussion board who watched the cameras at night. Aafke in the Netherlands was one of them. Being 6 time zones ahead of Rochester meant she was already awake and posting pictures at 2 AM Rochester time. The pictures mostly came from the IR camera that became known as the Aafkecam.

After 10+ years, the IR emitters on the camera are all but dead now. That is why the camera no longer sees well at night. This explains why the nighttime pictures from it are so dark as compared to the pictures from the cameras at the Times Square building, which are fully functional IR cameras.

Thanks for the explanation!  I know it was said the Powers box was going to be taken down..is that still the case now, with the obvious attraction to the box by Beauty & DC?  Wouldn't it be possible to replace the camera with a new one from the money that's been donated by people on here to the ROC the Day fundraiser?  There's been a lot of money donated over the past 4 years that might cover the cost of one, depending on what they cost.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: 01-Oct-15, 03:01:07 PM »

Beauty and Dot.ca (presumably) bonding at Powers.

(movie)

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1713 on: 01-Oct-15, 03:57:46 PM »

Grrrrr

BTW, that camera is the original Aafkecam, something you old-timers may remember.

So for somebody who's only watched the last 9 yrs, how did the cam come to be named after Aafke?

The Aafkecam was Kodak Birdcam's one and only Infrared (IR) "night vision" camera. It was installed in nest box in the early 2000's to allow us to see the falcons better at night.

At the time, there were very few active members of the Birdcam discussion board who watched the cameras at night. Aafke in the Netherlands was one of them. Being 6 time zones ahead of Rochester meant she was already awake and posting pictures at 2 AM Rochester time. The pictures mostly came from the IR camera that became known as the Aafkecam.

After 10+ years, the IR emitters on the camera are all but dead now. That is why the camera no longer sees well at night. This explains why the nighttime pictures from it are so dark as compared to the pictures from the cameras at the Times Square building, which are fully functional IR cameras.

Thanks for the explanation!  I know it was said the Powers box was going to be taken down..is that still the case now, with the obvious attraction to the box by Beauty & DC?  Wouldn't it be possible to replace the camera with a new one from the money that's been donated by people on here to the ROC the Day fundraiser?  There's been a lot of money donated over the past 4 years that might cover the cost of one, depending on what they cost.

Yes, but there are many other factors to be considered besides the cost of a camera.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: 01-Oct-15, 04:08:14 PM »

Grrrrr

Yes, but there are many other factors to be considered besides the cost of a camera.

Like if you want to do it?

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: 01-Oct-15, 04:15:45 PM »

(movie)

heart
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1716 on: 01-Oct-15, 04:36:37 PM »

Grrrrr

Are you volunteering?
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: 01-Oct-15, 04:55:20 PM »

Grrrrr

Thanks for the explanation!  I know it was said the Powers box was going to be taken down..is that still the case now, with the obvious attraction to the box by Beauty & DC?  Wouldn't it be possible to replace the camera with a new one from the money that's been donated by people on here to the ROC the Day fundraiser?  There's been a lot of money donated over the past 4 years that might cover the cost of one, depending on what they cost.

Are you volunteering?

Umm..no..you're much younger than me, probably have your original knees plus I have an overwhelming fear of heights! silly
« Last Edit: 01-Oct-15, 05:00:32 PM by Kris G. » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: 01-Oct-15, 05:28:21 PM »

I'll help, Yes, I volunteer!! I'll go up and dismantle the nest!! I may be there next week!!  whistle

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: 01-Oct-15, 07:13:01 PM »

Looks like DC

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1720 on: 01-Oct-15, 07:55:48 PM »

I'll help, Yes, I volunteer!! I'll go up and dismantle the nest!! I may be there next week!!  whistle

Bring a lot of buckets. There's a ton of gravel to remove.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: 02-Oct-15, 10:46:04 AM »

(movie)

heart

How did I NOT see this!! Was just going through the archives!  Shocked

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: 02-Oct-15, 10:47:57 AM »

(movie)

heart

How did I NOT see this!! Was just going through the archives!  Shocked
Not sure.  It was pretty quick, though.

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: 02-Oct-15, 01:11:31 PM »

And today:

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: 02-Oct-15, 01:24:44 PM »

And today:

"gulp"

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 ... 129   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: