THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 11:01:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cathedral of Learning, Pittsburgh 2015  (Read 90134 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 26-May-15, 04:09:35 PM »

Baby has been on its back a few times today but has managed to right itself..until now.  Sad   Hoping it can do it again.  I wish they would come check it out soon..banding is supposed to be this week.

Eyas still on it's back since 10:10am. Dorothy mega trying to turn him over!! He eats though!!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 27-May-15, 07:56:44 AM »

Dorothy and E2's special needs eyas!

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2015/05/27/up-and-down/  By Kate St. John

Banding is Friday.

Reading some comments on other sites, which aren't nice but some say the nest needs more gravel as the eyas keeps sliding when it tries to right it's self. I tend to agree, he has no footing and does slide a lot. I have grown fond of the little "eyas that could"!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 27-May-15, 09:07:44 AM »

Dorothy and E2's special needs eyas!

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2015/05/27/up-and-down/  By Kate St. John

Banding is Friday.

Reading some comments on other sites, which aren't nice but some say the nest needs more gravel as the eyas keeps sliding when it tries to right it's self. I tend to agree, he has no footing and does slide a lot. I have grown fond of the little "eyas that could"!

I don't know how she could say its a "special needs" baby when no expert has physically examined him. It obviously has balance issues..ear mites? parasites? His right leg hasn't been normal since he laid on his back for 24 hrs..maybe with Dorothy trying to right it several times and stepping on him, he suffered an injury? They expected Dorothy to have an abnormal baby from the start so we're going to wait until Friday to examine the poor thing to see if he has any issues that could be treatable. thumbsdown

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 28-May-15, 06:18:56 AM »

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/05/27/ornithologist-peregrine-falcon-mom-being-attentive-despite-challenges-with-newest-chick/

Ornithologist: Peregrine Falcon Mom Being Attentive Despite Challenges With Newest Chick

CBS Pittsburgh

Update, Kate's Latest Blog:

http://www.wqed.org/birdblog/2015/05/28/props-and-tarsi/
« Last Edit: 28-May-15, 08:58:31 AM by Donna » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 28-May-15, 09:45:25 AM »

A letter written by a concerned citizen:
Pittsburg. I just received a nice and very detailed email from the PA Game Commission, including all the information and possibilities to help this little dear chick:
Le 28/05/2015 13:20, GM, Comments a écrit :
>
> You’re welcome. We recently received additional information from our peregrine falcon coordinator. Please see below:
 We have been following the situation at the Peregrine Falcon nest at the University of Pittsburgh Cathedral of Learning very closely for several months, starting even before the eggs were laid. The lone chick (out of 4 eggs laid) is developmentally abnormal, due to the adult female’s extreme age. The female is 16 years old. Falcons who live to this age in the wild (which is rare) have reduced fertility and a heightened incidence of developmental defects in their chicks, if they even have chicks. That is what has been happening with this female for the last 3 years.
 If there were anything we could do to help the chick, we would do it. For example, if the chick had an injury or a treatable disease, we would help it immediately, as we always do in such circumstances. But there is nothing we can do in this case.
 In the mean time, the parents are taking care of the chick far better than any humans could. The chick is growing well, and although it is obviously very clumsy, there is no evidence that it is suffering. The best thing we can do for the chick right now is to leave it with its parents.
 That situation may change in the near future. The chick will be 19 days old on Friday 5/29, and soon after that it will begin walking around in the nest, and there is the possibility that it could fall out of the nest, which would not be good, considering that the nest is on the 40th floor of the building.
 We (PGC) and partners will visit the nest on Friday 5/29, a date that was chosen with the chick’s best interests in mind, and at that time, the chick will get a thorough exam by veterinarians and wildlife biologists. If it is determined that the chick may become at risk of falling out of the nest, and/or that it is unlikely to survive in the wild, we will remove the chick from the nest and take it to a wildlife rehabilitator for further analysis, and then to a permanent home where it can have a happy life in safety. That is the most likely outcome on Friday. Arrangements have already been made with a wildlife rehabilitator and a home. If the panel of wildlife experts determines that the chick does have a good chance of surviving well in the wild, we will return the chick to the nest after examining it on Friday, but that seems unlikely at this point.
 At the present time, the best place for the chick, for its sake, is in the nest with its parents. In the near future, the best place for it may be with human caretakers. We will determine that, and act appropriately.
 Thank you for your concern and for contacting us about this.

DebInTexas
Juvie

Like Count: 13

George and Gracie

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 28-May-15, 11:13:21 AM »

Thanks Donna.  That is what I've been hoping would be the case.  It's good to know others are watching who are more learned on the issues involved, too.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 28-May-15, 11:41:23 AM »

If it is determined that the chick may become at risk of falling out of the nest, and/or that it is unlikely to survive in the wild, we will remove the chick from the nest and take it to a wildlife rehabilitator for further analysis, and then to a permanent home where it can have a happy life in safety.

That's the best thing we could ask for, that his health and safety is put first!  Great response and huge relief to know that they're taking his best interests to heart.  heart
Tapper Gal
Fledgling

Like Count: 11

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 28-May-15, 12:34:08 PM »

Thanks for posting this news.It is reassuring that the chick will be cared for.I have been observing the mother's care of her baby,very touching as well as sad. Best of luck to all involved in banding.Thoughts rest with this caring and loving family.   thanx good post

Tapper Gal, AKA ,  Diane
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 28-May-15, 03:16:08 PM »

Whatever the outcome this baby has shown it's a fighter and a survivor! And Dorothy at the ripe old age has also proven herself as well. 💕

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
PatriciaRose
Juvie

Like Count: 23

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 28-May-15, 03:56:00 PM »

thanks Donna- at least we know they will do all they can for the chick  2thumbsup

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.â€
~~Edwin Markham
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 29-May-15, 09:36:43 AM »

Dorothy's little blessing was just removed from the nest!  Hope he can come back, Dorothy has not left his side all morning!  Sad

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 29-May-15, 09:43:52 AM »

It's too bad they didn't have a chick they could foster with her in case they have to keep the little and send her into care.  She's been so devoted to this baby, it's been wonderful to watch.  I see now where Beauty gets her good mothering skills from  wub2
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 29-May-15, 09:44:44 AM »

Hope he is OK  djc

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 29-May-15, 09:50:14 AM »

It's too bad they didn't have a chick they could foster with her in case they have to keep the little and send her into care.  She's been so devoted to this baby, it's been wonderful to watch.  I see now where Beauty gets her good mothering skills from  wub2

I wish they could do that also, give her a foster.  Sad

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 29-May-15, 10:11:02 AM »

Carolyn has posted video of them taking them baby out, was very quiet but Dorothy was fierce as always.

Scroll down a bit:

http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=327&t=1882&start=740
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: