THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 01:06:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seneca (2008) Sighted at Brookpark Road Bridge with Mate (Cheyenne)!  (Read 311271 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: 21-Jul-10, 08:01:04 PM »

I may be a Pollyanna, but I truly believe no news is good news...Warrior is alive & well until proven otherwise. 

Look how many hours are spent in Rochester staring at all the usual haunts without a hint of PEFA.  Then all of a sudden, if you're lucky, you're staring at the correct corner of Xerox when a brown bump suddenly appears for a second-Callidora waking up from a nap-then right back down again. 

Brookpark Rd. doesn't have anything close to the nearly full time watchers we have.  She's out there-she just hasn't been found yet.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: 21-Jul-10, 09:26:17 PM »

wave   I have faith that you are correct Ei!  Positive thoughts are easier on ones soul.    pray

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: 21-Jul-10, 10:15:12 PM »

I pray you are right but the problem is with no band we really will never know.  Sad
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: 21-Jul-10, 10:24:00 PM »

I may be a Pollyanna, but I truly believe no news is good news...Warrior is alive & well until proven otherwise. 

Look how many hours are spent in Rochester staring at all the usual haunts without a hint of PEFA.  Then all of a sudden, if you're lucky, you're staring at the correct corner of Xerox when a brown bump suddenly appears for a second-Callidora waking up from a nap-then right back down again. 

Brookpark Rd. doesn't have anything close to the nearly full time watchers we have.  She's out there-she just hasn't been found yet.

Or the Jail....oh that girl!

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: 22-Jul-10, 07:18:38 AM »

Thing is she should be in training now like Calli. She should be flying with Seneca and Cheyenne. I wish I lived closer so I could watch for her.
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: 22-Jul-10, 11:24:20 AM »

From what I have heard, there just are not a lot of people allowed on the site (NASA owned) and some areas are prohibited.  Warrior might very well be fine but just not in an area easily accessed.  Plus, there are not a lot of watchers.  I agree with Ei.  I think no news is good news.  If the area is that restricted, and people who work there know about the birds, they would be alerted to a problem.  Still, fingers crossed!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: 29-Jul-10, 09:34:23 AM »

Sad   Posted by C and C on CMNH Forum-

We've still been checking this site from down below, and still no sightings or sounds of Warrior so it's obvious that Warrior didn't make it. Seneca and Cheyenne have been spending most of their time under the bridge when they're not out and about. Last week we watched Cheyenne go down to the river and bathe on one of the hot days. He flew out of the bridge and perched in this low tree on the cliff overlooking the river, then took off...

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: 29-Jul-10, 09:41:33 AM »

We've still been checking this site from down below, and still no sightings or sounds of Warrior so it's obvious that Warrior didn't make it. Seneca and Cheyenne have been spending most of their time under the bridge when they're not out and about. Last week we watched Cheyenne go down to the river and bathe on one of the hot days. He flew out of the bridge and perched in this low tree on the cliff overlooking the river, then took off...

That's so sad, I had a feeling. Tragic for both parents.  crying

valhalla
« Reply #398 on: 29-Jul-10, 09:42:06 AM »

Sadly, no surprise, as it was becoming clear that Warrior wasn't around any more.   Sad
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: 29-Jul-10, 09:58:33 AM »

This is very sad.  I hope they install a nestbox for next year.  I just think it might be better for them.   Cry

Peregrines know no borders.....
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: 29-Jul-10, 10:09:51 AM »

crying heart

-John Burroughs
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: 29-Jul-10, 10:28:24 AM »

Sweet Warrior crying

I think a nestbox is a good idea.  Maybe those missing feathers were indicative of something on the little one.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: 29-Jul-10, 10:32:54 AM »

I'll defer to C&C's judgement, because they have spent a lot of time observing falcons in different environments, much more than I have.  

However, my local site in Cabin John, MD has many similarities with the Brookpark Road Bridge site -- both are beneath major highway bridges spanning a heavily wooded rivercourse.  Between the bridge structure and all the trees, the juveniles have many places to hide.  The very hot weather gives them little incentive to fly unless they are really hungry. Usually, after I have been watching for an hour or two, one will magically appear out of nowhere and start loudly yelling for food.

I agree that there is a good chance that Warrior is dead.  However, if Warrior is alive and behaving like my juveniles, it would be easy to miss him/her, especially if observing periods were limited.

Paul
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: 29-Jul-10, 10:55:33 AM »

I agree Paul. You can spend hours waiting for a couple minutes of activity. Right time,right place.

-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: 29-Jul-10, 11:15:29 AM »

I also agree with Paul.  Although it doesn't look good for Warrior, unless you spend hours watching, you have a really good chance of NOT seeing a falcon.  Even here in Rochester, A&B are currently visiting the nestbox, but Callidora is not.  If you kept watching the nestsite area, you wouldn't see much of Callidora at all.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 ... 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: