THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 04:32:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heart Walk April 14th  (Read 5977 times)
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« on: 09-Apr-18, 07:55:00 AM »

I hope everyone enjoyed the school break. The eggs have been laid, and Beauty and Dot.ca are keeping them toasty warm in preparation for hatching in early May.

It's also that time of year when my coworkers and I participate in the Rochester Heart Walk taking place this Saturday, April 14th. The event is put on by the American Heart Association to raise money to fight heart disease, the Nation's number 1 killer.

Due to the past immeasurable generosity of humanity (and especially falcon watchers), my personal goal this year is to raise $600 gajillion. If you'd like to help this walking, talking trash can, please visit my Heart Walk page and make a donation. I'd really appreciate it, and so would the millions of Americans who are affected by heart disease.

Shaky's Heart Walk Page

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09-Apr-18, 09:15:02 AM »

done

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 09-Apr-18, 09:29:46 AM »

I forgot to mention that for every donation of $50 or more, 1 adorable American Heart Association Pug doll will be donated to local hospitals to share with their child patients.

In addition, your name  will go into a raffle to win 2 tickets to a Red Wings Game and some other fun swag donated by the Rochester Red Wings.
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 10-Apr-18, 08:32:22 AM »

Thank you to all of you who have generously donated to the Heart Walk. I am closing in on my goal with only 4 days left.

Shaky's Heart Walk Page

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 10-Apr-18, 08:46:05 AM »

Thank you to all of you who have generously donated to the Heart Walk. I am closing in on my goal with only 4 days left.

Shaky's Heart Walk Page

Don't listen to that rust bucket! He's an imposter!

I'm the real Shaky, and I am definitely not a walking sardine can.

You may remember me from a movie I made with a certain scene-stealing costar who shall remain nameless. I've been out of the country for awhile, but now I'm back, and I'm ready to roll.

The influx of donations seems to have stalled at $380. There are only 4 days left until the Heart Walk, and I'd really like to get that number up.

Speaking of numbers...

$3.2million - Current amount of money being funded right here in Rochester
15 - Current number of active studies being done in our community
45 - Number of local jobs created due to AHA funding

If you'd like to be a part of this life saving cause, please visit my Heart Walk page and make a donation. I'd really appreciate it, and so would the millions of Americans who are affected by heart disease.

http://www2.heart.org/site/TR?px=2057058&fr_id=3018&pg=personal

The ball's in your court.
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: 11-Apr-18, 04:39:45 PM »

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed!

I'm $385 away from my goal with only 3 days remaining. I could really use your help and so could millions of heart patients.

One in three Americans has some form of cardiovascular disease, and stroke is the leading cause of disability in the United States. Your donation and support will help the American Heart Association continue their efforts to build healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.

Making a donation is easy. Just go to my fundraising page for Heart Walk where you can quickly and easily make a secure online donation. You can also use this donation as a tax deduction.

Anyway, just thought I'd drop in to let you know how much more I need to net.

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 12-Apr-18, 02:37:15 PM »

Wow! Thank you to everyone who made a donation last night and this morning!

I'm committed to doing all I can to help those affected by heart disease and stroke. With just 2 days remaining, I'm $235 away from my goal. Will you please help me reach it?

I am walking and raising money in this inspirational event because I personally know some of the millions of Americans affected by heart disease and stroke (and you might too), and I want to do something about it. Since 1949, the association has contributed more than $3.2 billion for heart and stroke research that has led to recent breakthroughs such as clot-busting drugs and drug-eluting stents.

I hope I can count on you to support my fundraising efforts and the great work of the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association! Please make your donation by using this link. With your help I will be one step closer to reaching my goal!

https://www2.heart.org/site/TR?fr_id=3018&pg=personal&px=2057058

May I see a show of hands for those in favor of making a difference?

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 13-Apr-18, 09:07:46 AM »

Whoa! $890!

Thank you to those who have contributed. You're amazing!

If I had a heart, it would be filled with joy.

I'm only $110 from my goal. Can you help by following this link and clicking on the big red "Donate Now" button? Please don't cast away this opportunity to fight heart disease.

« Last Edit: 13-Apr-18, 09:14:06 AM by Shaky » Logged
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 13-Apr-18, 09:58:01 AM »

I just noticed that the Heart Walk route is different this year. We'll be walking by both nest boxes. I'll wave at the cameras.

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 13-Apr-18, 01:31:54 PM »

Woo-hoo! The donations keep rolling in! Thank you!

I'm only $25 from my goal. Who is willing to serve?

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 14-Apr-18, 07:04:24 AM »

$1035!! I made my goal and then some! Thank you! I couldn't have done it without people like you folks.

It's going to be a chilly walk this morning. Freezing rain is on its way.
« Last Edit: 14-Apr-18, 06:26:24 PM by Shaky » Logged
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14-Apr-18, 09:16:19 AM »

$1035!! I made my goal and then some! Thank you! I couldn't have done it without people like you folks.

It's going to be a chilly walk this morning. Freezing rain it on its way.

b-day  Congratulations on making your goal!      b-day

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14-Apr-18, 03:30:13 PM »

WOO HOO!!!  yahoo Hope you walked quickly! running dog

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 14-Apr-18, 07:15:15 PM »

Thank you, everyone. It was cold and windy, but the rain held off, and the crowd was in high spirits.

The event kicked off in the Frontier Field VIP parking lot where the sponsors set up their booths. The hot coffee and healthy snacks were popular items. There was a stage and a band. Before the run/walk started, a local high school girl sang the national anthem. The only flag in view was the newly replaced one on the Powers Building.

At 9 AM, the runners took off, and we walkers followed. We headed down Plymouth then turned left on Main into Downtown. Along the way, we passed by many of the landmarks familiar to falcon watchers: Kodak, FCT, Powers, Wilder, the "Hole," Mercury, Times Square, Blue Cross Arena, Broad Street Bridge, the library, Tower 280, the Metropolitan, OCSR, and Crossroads. I made sure to point out the nest boxes and cameras to my walking team. They all repeatedly spotted falcons (gulls) flying above. (We may have some new watchers this year. These people have all of the mandatory skills: they can look up to spot birds, and they lack the sense not to go downtown in the freezing cold.)

The walk lasted for about an hour. Afterward, a few of us stayed around long enough for the Genesee Brew House to open for lunch at 11 where we enjoyed large amounts of food and beverage (so much for the healthy heart walk) and dared the freezing rain to come and encase cars in a thick cocoon of ice that would laugh at our cheap plastic scrapers. Fortunately, the rain was too chicken to accept our dare, and we left without incident at 1 PM.

I arrived home safely and proceeded to take a short 5-hour nap.

Once again, thank you to everyone who donated to the American Heart Association. You're making a difference.
« Last Edit: 14-Apr-18, 07:36:31 PM by Shaky » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: