THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 10:45:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stormin' - Yonge & Eglinton (Rhea Mae and Tiago's little one!)  (Read 109865 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 14-May-13, 09:52:49 PM »

Oh yeah!  thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 07-Jun-13, 06:18:27 AM »

!!! Canada Square Banding Day
June 05, 2013 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton

Marion Nash Reports:

I apologise at the outset for the omission of some names.
Our thanks to all of the people who were instrumental in making this happen this year, namely:
Neil Armstrong and Cameron from Northam Realty Advisors provided space for the banding to take place and who take an active interest in the peregrine pair and their growing family at Canada Square.
Mark Heaton from Ministry of Natural Resources was responsible for banding the peregrines and another person from a different department in MNR also in attendance.
The intrepid Steve, from Solar Window Cleaning, who was responsible for extracting the young from their nest ledge. He worked solo this year, his third on the ledge!! One hand on the rope as the other fended off the attacks of an irate Haven and Stormin who dived on him incessantly. This year Steve only donned a *hoodie* as part of his defence – no helmet!!
Mark and Marion Nash, from The Canadian Peregrine Foundation, organised the banding.
Bruce, from Paragon Security, let us into the building.
As spectators there were more people from Northam Realty and a couple of CPF volunteers, Zoe and Lyn.
Haven and Stormin produced three youngsters again. This year the mix is two females and one male.
Haven provided a pigeon for their breakfast this morning and Stormin apparently provide some desiccated *piece of something* as an intended snack later on.
The young were extracted and replaced without incident and Steve, although subject to many *near misses*, came away unscathed.
We have the young male named Ramjet, black band, number W over 65 and white tape.
One female named Tinia, black band, number Y over 67 and red tape.
The second female,
Imagine, black band, number Y over 68 and blue tape.
After the banding I went to my usual perch from which I observe the nest. Haven sat on that ledge for two hours watching her brood. I went to the bank and when I came out Haven had left.
All three are very healthy young peregrines. In a few short weeks we will once again begin the fledge watch as the youngsters take to the air.
Lyn
Photos to come

Ramjet as in Roger Ramjet?? 

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 07-Jun-13, 07:03:08 AM »

This needs to be in the Rochester offspring thread-Stormin' is Rhea Mae & Tiago's son.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: 07-Jun-13, 07:27:16 AM »

This needs to be in the Rochester offspring thread-Stormin' is Rhea Mae & Tiago's son.

Done.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 07-Jun-13, 08:06:02 AM »

Done.

OOPS Sorry!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 14-Jun-13, 09:39:29 AM »

Canada Square Update on the Kids
June 14, 2013 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton

Tracy Simpson Reports:

I was out at 3:30 pm today and saw a bit more action than before.
Haven was on the wall north of the nest looking down on her charges on Canada Square. I saw a little head pop up, then down, then up again.
Stormin flew in from the west and went directly to last year’s scrape ledge where he chupped, had a scratch, spent some time at the back and finally on  the edge, in the shade out of the sun.
In addition to the head I saw a wing pop up and flap then disappear. The little head watched in astonishment!
Stormin flew to Rio-Can and perched whilst Haven spread herself out on that wall with wings hanging over both edges! Shortly thereafter Haven flew to the mast atop 2180 Yonge St, followed by Stormin. They flew together and back over Canada Square where they perched temporarily on the tall mast on that roof. Haven flew to Rio-Can and perched and about a minute later Stormin flew from the mast, chupping madly as he made his way west, over the crane further down Duplex Ave and was gone. Five minutes later Stormin was back on RC on the south west corner. He flew off and back a couple of times and then was gone.
Haven too had left her perch.
Roughly 5minutes late someone did a *flyover* the nest and headed east.
A couple of minutes after that Haven flew onto the north side of the tall condo, followed by Stormin. They were there for all of two minutes when Haven was off again! She flew to the west side of the condo, appeared to brush one of the windows, flew behind the condo and then north up Yonge St. Haven was gone for ten minutes and returned to her perch above the scrape. I wonder if she was trying to get Stormin to hunt ?
Stormin had followed her to the east side of the condo and disappeared. Fifteen minutes after his departure he was back on RC three floors from the top. Barely two minutes after his return I spotted three Turkey Vultures east of the tall condo, making lazy circles. They were circling upward until I guess they found the breeze they needed to take them south west. As they emerged over the tall condo Stormin woke up and gave an alarm call. I looked at Haven who appeared unconcerned and continued her preening. The turkey vultures disappeared. The wind was at two levels and blowing in absolute opposite directions. I know this because there were two levels of cloud moving in the exact opposite direction!
A few minutes later a fuzzy head popped up followed by a second one. The first fuzzy head stepped onto the edge and I could see a patch of fuzz amid the *Big bird* dark feathers on its rump. There were bits of fuzz on the wings and the head and then of course those delightful little *peregrine plus-fours* in fluff - the legs. One of the youngsters was exercising his/her wings by stretching and flapping - then was still.
Haven found a stash on the ledge next to last year’s scrape and plucked feathers from it and had a bite to eat.
As Haven chupped and flew towards the nest Stormin also took flight and homed in on a *kamikaze* pigeon so I missed whether Haven had a food parcel and took it to her young. Stormin dived on the pigeon which nearly had a heart attack as it jinked and dived down the side of the black building and onto a ledge there. Storming tried twice to get onto the ledge but eventually flew to the top of that building and looked down. Five minutes later he flew over Canada Square and then onto the big mast atop that building where he perched for a mere two minutes. He launched into flight and immediately went into a stoop over Eglinton Ave and the corner, which is now blocked off for construction. He was so low he just scooped over the scaffolding, did a fast turn and came back over Eglinton Ave with a bird in his talons. It was not a pigeon but may have been a sparrow as there are plenty around there. He landed on the NW corner of the black building where he plucked the feathers off. Seven minutes later Stormin flew over my head with the food parcel and disappeared northwest of me. It was simply to gain height, as a minute later he was back and flying onto the ledge. His offspring mobbed him and took the food to the back of the ledge out of my sight. He remained on the edge for a minute before flying off to a perch on RC.
Haven was back on her wall above the ledge and that is where I left them all. As I was walking to the bank Haven flew to the second ledge south of the concrete wall. She must have left the food there when she flew off earlier. So, today, it was Stormin who brought in food for the youngsters.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 30-Jun-13, 08:52:56 PM »

A new lesson learned
June 29, 2013 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Marion Nash Reports:

Spent two hours waiting for and then watching the peregrines.

One of the femasles flew onto the crane down Duplex Ave so they are starting to spread out farther.

Haven did an in-air transfer of a pigeon (???) to Imagine. I did not get band colour and I am going only by size. Imagine is a very large female! Imagine flew to the Canada Square roof, south end and barely made it but did not let go of the food parcel !!

Cheers
Lyn

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 30-Jun-13, 09:01:45 PM »

Grin

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 30-Jun-13, 10:09:42 PM »

Wow, already?? What are they feeding them in Canada, besides pigeon??

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 16-Jul-13, 01:38:57 PM »

Youngsters try to get their own food
July 15, 2013 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Marion Nash Reports:

Saw all five peregrines this evening. Haven, Stormin and one juvenile female were really high east of Young and Eglinton intersection, at the same that I saw Ramjet and the other juvenile female talon-touching just above Rio-Can. The three high peregrines were also talon-touching.

Just a wee while later one of the juveniles was fed and the other two descended on the same spot but without luck.

One of the juveniles became annoyed at having to sit and watch the other one eat and so it took off and chased a pigeon over the bus bay and across the Young and Eglinton intersection east towards the Bell Canada building. Sad to say the pigeon was faster than the peregrine, who gave up the chase.
Lyn

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 09-Sep-13, 08:53:07 PM »

!!! Juvenile still on site
September 05, 2013 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton

Marion Nash Reports:

I was out on Thursday 5th September and as always glanced up at the Rio-Can building and found a large *lump* on one of the uprights on the top floor west end of the building. I had no binoculars with me but had a suspicion it was one of the juvenile females. I finally walked to a spot from which I could see her chest and it was definitely a juvie female. Not sure which one. Anyway she flew away and I was on my way home when she re-appeared much lower down on the building. I was on the north side of Eglinton and almost under her and I waited and watched. Wily bird! She flew south along the west side of Canada Square and around the south end to Yonge Street. I waited and sure enough she flushed the pigeon flock from the building south of the CIBC building and chased them across the intersection. The pigeons at the intersection have learnt their lessons well and now fly quite low to avoid becoming peregrine dinners!

She flew back onto the Rio Can building and sat for a bit then chased another pigeon in front of the building towards Duplex Ave but went over the roof of the gold building on the corner and disappeared from view. At the same another peregrine came from the east, struggling against the wind and perched on Rio-Can. I am not sure whether this was the adult male or the juvie male. From what I could see I think juvie male but am open to correction.

At least one juvie still in the area. I am wondering if this might be Imagine as she was the largest at banding time.

Lyn

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 08-Apr-14, 05:57:33 AM »

Great news from Bruce's visit today to Canada Square. Haven and Stormin have their first egg!!  heart

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 08-Apr-14, 06:02:39 AM »

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 08-Apr-14, 08:54:40 AM »

Great news from Bruce's visit today to Canada Square. Haven and Stormin have their first egg!!  heart

heart wub2 heart

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 23-Apr-14, 08:49:30 AM »

Catching up at CPF...

4 eggs for Canada Square Pair
April 11, 2014 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Marion Nash Reports:

Haven & Stormin have 4 eggs as of April 11th.

Dad doing some incubation duties today.
April 21, 2014 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Marion Nash Reports:

went out today and spent 2 hours observing. Nothing much happened.

Haven was on the south face of Rio-Can most of the time. The first time she flew it was south on the west side of Canada Square, across the south end of the building and then she emerged flying east along Eglinton before turning around and coming back towards Rio-Can. She flew north and disappeared only to show up over Rio-Can and the Eglinton/Duplex intersection. She disappeared again for a while and then flew back to Rio-can from over 53 Division. She perched for a while and preened and stretched often before flying again and she did not re-appear before I left. I did not see Stormin at all.

Cheers

Lyn

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: