THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 02:45:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1018518 times)
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #1350 on: 18-Jun-13, 02:36:49 AM »

CPF Postmaster Reports:

Attention all fledge watchers and peregrine enthusiasts! The fledge watches have started and we need your help!

June 17th - 2013
As some of you may be aware, we are currently eyeball deep in 7 different fledge watches that are now running simultaneously, and needless to say, we are incredibly stressed for manpower to cover all of the fledge watches. Never in the 17 years that we have been running fledge watches have we ever had this many fledge watches occurring all at the same time.

This in addition to having so many nest sites to deal with where the hatches have all happened within such a short period of time, thus having all of the young fledge at the same time.

While the season has only just started, we have already rescued and saved 9 fledglings from the ground and returned them back to the rooftops and nest ledges back to their parents care.

That being said, we need your support to join us in the streets at one of many nest sites here in the GTA.

You will see members of the fledge watch team in the streets at the following nest sites:
Please bear in mind that we are limited in volunteers currently at some of these sites and you may have to do some searching for us as some of these sites have vast areas to cover.

Please join us and help us help your young peregrines make it through this challenging time.

Ongoing fledge watches:
Toronto Sheraton Centre hotel nest site - downtown Toronto - Bay & Queen
MEC nest site -1 Robert Spec Parkway - Huriontario and Hwy # 403 Mississauga
225 Duncan Mill road nest site - Don Mills
ICICI nest site - Don Valley Parkway and Eglinton Ave East, Toronto
Etobicoke Sun Life centre - Bloor & Islington - Etobicoke
18 King Street nest site - Victoria Street & King Street - Downtown Toronto
Canada Square nest site - Yonge & Eglinton - Toronto
Kitchener CTV - King Street - Kitchener Ont.
William Osler Hospital - Hwy # 27 & Humber Valley Blvd - Starting June 20th

Starting end of the week: June 22nd:
Scarborough Yellow Pages - 325 Milner Ave & Progress Ave
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: 18-Jun-13, 06:24:31 AM »

Wow, they need a Radio broadcast! Hope they get the volunteers needed!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: 19-Jun-13, 08:44:20 PM »

King Street first fledge
- All Reports

Zoe Berger Reports:

Cosmina fledged with nobody watching probably early Wednesday morning. Somebody at the King Edward Hotel called in advising a peregrine was stuck on one of their new balconies. After many other calls to make arrangements Neil, Evan and I got the rescue box and met Linda in the lobby where security took us up to the unit. Cosmina was very determined not to be put in the box and Linda persisted with great courage and expertise and with 3 towels going in the box she was finally put. She is a beautiful, huge and very spirited chick. We met Paul who was checking the area and we filled him in. Cosmina appeared to have a droopy wing so after she rests for the day in the box and Mark checks her out she will either go back on the nest building or off to the doctor. To be determined. As her sister is not ready to fly we finished the watch for the day.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: 19-Jun-13, 11:06:13 PM »

so all chicks at Sunlife have taken their first flights; last 2 being Big Frank and Lizzie this morning. Frank needed rescuing and so far Lizzie is doing okay. If not for the watch here, Layton, Shania and Frank would not be given a second chance. The watch continues for a few more days yet.

All went well. Mom didn't attack. And Frank stayed on the roof like a good little boy. Hopefully he has a better day tomorrow

From fb

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: 21-Jun-13, 11:32:11 AM »

Just heard that Big Frank from Sun Life spent the night on the street and was picked up by Kathy M this morning on her way to work. He seemed relieved to be rescued and is now in security. Again, if you can spare a few hours for fledge watch at this site or others, please do so. You never know when a falcon is going to need some help.

from fb

At least he was rescued!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: 21-Jun-13, 06:40:07 PM »

Just heard a bird is down at Sun Life and not in good shape. Bruce and Rob are on their way there. (We had just left 15 minutes prior and planned on returning shortly) Will post more when I know more. We're thinking it may be Lizzie as she's been missing since yesterday.

Fingers crossed!!  Sad    from fb    Update: Possible window strike, she's in good hands now!

MEC:

MEC juvenile. Getting a check up. What a amazing beautiful young peregrine. Colour size wow  BY Ann

« Last Edit: 21-Jun-13, 07:09:35 PM by Donna » Logged

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: 21-Jun-13, 07:22:25 PM »

We spent an hour and half looking for Lizzie everywhere after work tonight.  I just got home awhile ago.  Where are you getting these messages from?  They aren't on CPF that I can see?

Trying to get through to Rob right now.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: 21-Jun-13, 07:25:38 PM »

We spent an hour and half looking for Lizzie everywhere after work tonight.  I just got home awhile ago.  Where are you getting these messages from?  They aren't on CPF that I can see?

Angie posted in the Falconatics group

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: 21-Jun-13, 07:26:45 PM »

We spent an hour and half looking for Lizzie everywhere after work tonight.  I just got home awhile ago.  Where are you getting these messages from?  They aren't on CPF that I can see?

Angie posted in the Falconatics group

Rob's got her, she's alive and waiting on Bruce to arrive for assessment.
« Last Edit: 21-Jun-13, 08:05:01 PM by carly » Logged
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: 21-Jun-13, 08:41:59 PM »

I hope Lizzie is ok. Lots of drama up there in Canada-I hope it slows down soon!  pray

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: 22-Jun-13, 07:47:15 AM »

Frank was released last night to the rooftop.  Lizzie went to an avian vet.  That's all I know as of this morning, will know more later hopefully. 
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: 22-Jun-13, 08:02:31 AM »

Frank was released last night to the rooftop.  Lizzie went to an avian vet.  That's all I know as of this morning, will know more later hopefully. 

Thankful they are both alive. Hope Lizzie can recover.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: 01-Jul-13, 05:25:27 PM »

!!! 4 fledglinngs observed - so far so good!!
June 30, 2013 - Niagara Falls

CPF Postmaster Reports:

Sunday June 30th - 2013
A huge thank you to Wilson for sending us his observation from Sunday of the Niagara falls juveniles. It would appear that all four fledglings have survived and so far have over the worst of the fledge period!!

This is great news indeed!!!

Sadly, the Canadian Niagara Parks Commission would not allow access this year to band the young peregrines (sighting safety concerns that the OPG power house roof would cave in under a humans weight)??, we will have no record to reliably track or monitor them without band identification, but as long as they are still visible before their dispersal or migration in the fall, you should be able to at least watch the young fledglings development over the next few months.

Report from Wilson for Sunday:

No more than 10 minutes after my arrival at the Falls on the Canadian side, one of the adult birds came flying by. One bird flew right toward the rock face disappearing just below me. Not long after I noticed small white pieces of feather drifting up and over the railings where I stood. One blood stained feather landed no more than 4 feet from me. As the minutes passed, larger feathers started to float up and past the boardwalk railings. It was frustrating to not be able to see the bird.

All 4 juveniles were perched on top of a roof on top of the OPG roof. They each staked out a corner of the small roof. One other bird which I could not make out if it was an adult (sadly no binoculars) was perched nearby. Earlier a peregrine had flown directly over a cat that was crossing the road next to the OPG building. The cat disappeared into the bush.
Wilson Hum
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: 01-Jul-13, 06:32:36 PM »

2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: 02-Jul-13, 03:49:00 PM »

Kris just sent me this!! Look at Biggie/smalls!!! OMG, what a size difference and oh how cute they are!!!!!

Hamilton nest   Cheesy

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: