THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 03:25:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1018379 times)
carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: 02-Jul-13, 04:40:11 PM »

Kris just sent me this!! Look at Biggie/smalls!!! OMG, what a size difference and oh how cute they are!!!!!

Hamilton nest   Cheesy
Wow they are so special......thanks for posting.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: 02-Jul-13, 04:45:56 PM »

That's fantastic! Thanks a lot for sharing!!!  clap clap clap clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: 02-Jul-13, 10:26:28 PM »

Anyone know if these 2 have names? No updates since the 2nd one hatched? Did they forget about Hamilton??

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: 02-Jul-13, 10:45:38 PM »

Anyone know if these 2 have names? No updates since the 2nd one hatched? Did they forget about Hamilton??

Posted in BCAW:

"Our theme for bird names this year is "Heroes and Heroines of the War of 1812". Chick No. 1 (left) weighed in at 858 grams, clearly a female, and was named "Laura" for Laura Secord. Chick No. 2 (right)was named "Brock", for General Brock. Brock weighed in at 422 grams, well in the low part of the weight range for a male, but being only 19 days old there is some doubt as to gender. We will have a better idea on that in about two weeks. (No. 2 would have been named "Tecumseh" but we learned that a Peregrine chick at Windsor, Ontario was given that name a few weeks ago and we try not to have two birds with the same name.) Pictures of the banding are now available for viewing! Click here to View the 2013 Banding Gallery (opens a new window)."

Many think Brock is a female now that she's older.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: 02-Jul-13, 10:50:11 PM »

Posted in BCAW:

"Our theme for bird names this year is "Heroes and Heroines of the War of 1812". Chick No. 1 (left) weighed in at 858 grams, clearly a female, and was named "Laura" for Laura Secord. Chick No. 2 (right)was named "Brock", for General Brock. Brock weighed in at 422 grams, well in the low part of the weight range for a male, but being only 19 days old there is some doubt as to gender. We will have a better idea on that in about two weeks. (No. 2 would have been named "Tecumseh" but we learned that a Peregrine chick at Windsor, Ontario was given that name a few weeks ago and we try not to have two birds with the same name.) Pictures of the banding are now available for viewing! Click here to View the 2013 Banding Gallery (opens a new window)."

Many think Brock is a female now that she's older.

Aha, thanks!!  2thumbsup

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: 05-Jul-13, 02:52:54 PM »

I think Laura fledged. Haven't seen her on the ledge.
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: 05-Jul-13, 03:00:33 PM »

I just read (and saw) that both eyasses are still on ledge.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: 16-Jul-13, 11:37:00 AM »

From Hamilton FB page:

Charles Gregory
Official Falconwatch Report for Monday, July 15, 2013 - Falconwatch Coordinator Cheryl Dobell reports: A few seconds after 12:08:33 (photo uploaded on previous post) Brock starting running at the west end of the nest ledge and never stopped!!!! Brock first flew to the upper roof of the Thomson building, then dropped down to the next lower roof and next flew to the sixth floor level of the Stelco building where he landed on the window ledge. An hour or so later, possibly startled by someone inside Stelco, Brock slid down the side of the building to the second floor window ledge. Another hour later Brock tried to fly to the Thomson building but wound up on the lowest Thomson roof. Just before 21:00 Brock flew across King Street and landed on a stairway behind Hamilton Place and was taken in hand by our Rescue team. Brock is OK, but after yesterday's adventures has been taken to a medical facility for routine precautionary observation. We will post updates via the website and here on Facebook as soon as we have further information.

Laura had an amazing day in her own right. She made several flights to her favourite places and was out of sight at different times. Around 17:00 she joined one of the adults on a spiralling flight up above the Sheraton. The two of them eventually went out of sight. An hour later Laura successfully took food in mid-air from Madame X and landed on Standard Life to enjoy it. Laura is doing VERY well.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: 16-Jul-13, 02:27:13 PM »

Update:

BROCK IS BACK AND SHE IS A SHE!!!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - Falconwatch Coordinator Rachael Belford reports: After getting a clean bill of health Brock was brought back to Hamilton and released on the Sheraton roof, not far from the nest ledge, at 11:37 today. Equally good news is that Brock weighed in at 744 grams, clearly a female weight, so we can use 'her' and 'she' from now on! Based on past rescues and releases, Brock will explore the Sheraton roof a bit, find her way over to the TV camera area and likely, but not absolutely, hop or fly back to the nest ledge. Stay tuned!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: 16-Jul-13, 04:25:21 PM »

Update:

BROCK IS BACK AND SHE IS A SHE!!!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013 - Falconwatch Coordinator Rachael Belford reports: After getting a clean bill of health Brock was brought back to Hamilton and released on the Sheraton roof, not far from the nest ledge, at 11:37 today. Equally good news is that Brock weighed in at 744 grams, clearly a female weight, so we can use 'her' and 'she' from now on! Based on past rescues and releases, Brock will explore the Sheraton roof a bit, find her way over to the TV camera area and likely, but not absolutely, hop or fly back to the nest ledge. Stay tuned!!

Oh my, well not the first time an eyas has been misdiagnosed! Glad SHE is ok! Thanks

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: 22-Jul-13, 12:45:05 PM »

The head count rounds from this weekend tally. Not all birds have been resighted as of yet but that could have just been timing and increased activity levels due to the cooler air. Here's what we have so far.

Yellow Pages - two adults confirmed
ICICI - two adults and both juveniles confirmed
Duncan Mill Road - adult female confirmed, adult male in rehab   crying
Toronto Sheraton - both adults confirmed and one juvenile heard   thumbsup
King Street - both adults confirmed and one juvenile confirmed
North York - both adults confirmed
Etobicoke Sun Life - both adults and three juveniles confirmed
MEC - juvenile female confirmed
William Osler - both adults and two juveniles confirmed

Given that the birds are now more active and moving about it is making it harder to be certain of seeing everyone. The tape color on the juveniles is helping to be sure of who we are seeing. The data keeps pouring in and we will keep you updated as the counts progress.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: 22-Jul-13, 02:59:40 PM »

From FB:

Canadian Peregrine Foundation

We are saddened to report that there has been another casualty of the storm on Friday. Yesterday I was at MEC and able to confirm that the remaining juvenile, Ashley, was alive and well on the Morguard building but was frustrated in that I could not find the resident adults. It would appear that on Saturday, Cass banded Black *S over Green *D was found deceased at the MEC complex. She was picked up and taken to the Mississauga Animal Services who then called our office to inform us of the retrieval. A very sad day for MEC and I will be keeping an eye open for the presence of Sante in the territory.

Fly free, Cass. sorrow

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: 22-Jul-13, 03:01:43 PM »

!!! More Terrible News!! The MEC resident female adult has been found dead!
July 22, 2013 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Mark Nash Reports:

July 22nd - 2013
It is with great sadness that we have to report that the resident adult female (named Cass - banded Black S over Green D) has been found dead. We received a telephone call form the Mississauga Animal Services that an adult female peregrine was recovered from the street today and the leg band identification has verified that the peregrine is in fact “Cass”, the resident adult female from the MEC nest site.

While we have no idea as yet what has been the cause of her death, this news comes to us on the eve of yet another two injured peregrines having been recovered this past weekend,, (Kendal, the resident adult male from the Duncan Mill nest site), and an un-banded (unidentified juvenile, believed to be a male).

As many of your know, we had a terrible storm pass through Ontario this past Friday - (July 19th) as a cold front moved in from the north west to replace the debilitating hot and humid weather that we have all been dealing with for the past week. The storm brought incredible high winds of 110 plus km hour gust winds and torrential rain off and on Friday night causing flooding and power outages, downed tress and other associated damage. Thousands of people in Toronto are still without power even as of today. We had Tornado warnings being given throughout the day and most of the evening on Friday.

It is interesting that Kendal and the other unidentified un-banded peregrine were recovered Saturday (the very next morning after the storm).

Sadly, it appears that we have yet another single parent (this time dad, the un-banded resident adult male)to deal and care for the one surviving young fledgling - (named Ashley) out at the MEC nest site!

Wow, not a good post fledge season, unlike the norm where we are usually picking up injured or deceased fledglings at this time of year, we are for the first time in a very long time, now picking up injured and deceased resident adults!

We will be retrieving her body later this afternoon and hope to have additional information.

Some history of Cass;
MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich., June 22, 2009 – One of Macomb County’s new Peregrine falcons paid a visit to the 8th Floor southwest ledge of the Administration Building in Mount Clemens.

Cass, one of the two female falcons hatched this year, decided to show off her new adult feathers. The bird took after her namesake and posed for photos worthy of a governor’s oil painting portrait.

Cass was named after a Michigan’s second governor Lewis Cass by Macomb County Commissioner Frank Accavitti of Roseville.
The youngsters were hatched by their parents Nick and Hathor on a ledge on the 11th Floor of the County Building.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: 22-Jul-13, 03:15:14 PM »

Cry Cry crying
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: 22-Jul-13, 03:34:36 PM »

OMG!! It just gets worse and worse! I'm so sorry for all the injured and deceased falcons who had gone through that horrific storm.  No more!  crying

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: