THE FORUM

16-Sep-24, 03:54:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1082537 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: 31-Jul-14, 04:37:03 PM »

MEC Female Identified.
July 31, 2014 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

The spring started late for her in downtown Brampton as her mate Milton was ousted by a younger Canadian male named Striker from the Yellow Pages nest site, also hatched in 2011.

Did we know Striker was the resident male there?

I didn't think I remembered pairing him with anyone. No offspring yet....

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: 02-Aug-14, 12:44:10 PM »

!!! And now let the games begin!
July 29, 2014 - Oshawa - Oshawa Activity
CPF Postmaster Reports:

July 29th - 2014
Hi All,
I just saw all 3 of our peregrines in flight, Salveo was chasing one parent and the second parent was dive bombing her as they all flew around the hospital area. Salveo was doing a lot of screeching and also was very capable at landing on the roof ledge and taking off a number of times. What a thrill! Saw one of the parent do a very close fly by of a louvered area to try to flush out some pigeons.
Posted on July 31, 2014 3:53 am

Salveo takes her first flights! So far, staying off the ground level!
July 21, 2014 - Oshawa - Oshawa Activity
Mark Nash Reports:

July 21st -2014
2:38pm
One of the parents just brought her a meal, (Swiss Chalet) :-) and is sitting beside her on the same ledge, the other parent is 2 stories above watching.
Thx,
Ken

1:36pm
Hi to all,
Salveo has taken her first flight, she is now sitting on a parapet ledge 2 stories below the roof where we captured her for banding.
The parents are both flying on the other side of the hospital, again they could be hunting.
Very cool.
Ken
Posted on July 21, 2014 1:55 am

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: 13-Aug-14, 10:36:15 AM »

!!! A day at the beach! Sunning, bathing and Fishing???? Look what I got!
August 17, 2013 - International, National and Local News
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Although a very late entry, (I must apologize), as just I found this e-mail and attached photos that had obviously been captured and filed away in one of my anti-spam folders!! Sadly, I have only just discovered this particular folder and going through it now. With more than 135 e-mail, its going to take me some time to get through it all,,, but there is some really interesting stuff!!!!!

This particular observation report was sent in to us almost a year ago to this very date, and was sent via the authors I-phone. The very short note included a report of an adult pair of peregrines hunting on a beach in Saskatchewan Canada last year in August of 2013. The pair were actually observed “fishing”!

While the pair were unsuccessful in actually catching a live fish themselves during this observation period, - (with more than a dozen attempts diving into the shallow water after small feeder fish),, they did manage to find a rather large (but very fresh dead fish) that has washed up on the beach. So fresh in fact, that the gulls had not yet discovered it. Although, I’m sure if I was a gull, that I would be hanging around with a determined pair of adult peregrines in hunting mode!

While this type of happening would be something that you would expect to see out in British Columbia with the Peales sub species of the peregrine falcon, it is not something that you would see with our interior peregrine subspecies…. Then again, the anatum sub-species as we knew it is really no more given all of the cross-breeding that has happened, so, you never know now. Clearly this pair doesn’t look at all typical of the Peales sub species of the peregrine falcon as we know it, but you never know now what linage this pair have come from?

The Peale’s Falcon, Falco peregrinus pealei, is one of the original three North American subspecies of the Peregrine Falcon. This race was first identified by the ornithologist Robert Ridgway in 1873, named in honor of Titian Ramsay Peale, and like the original three north American peregrine sub-species, is (or was) quite distinct in its appearance. The Peale’s peregrine sub-species are the largest subspecies of “Peregrines” anywhere in the world and cold only be found in the western coast lines of the northern parts North America.

The final photo, pictures the adult male standing on the dead fish, almost to suggest that he is trying to deceive his female mate in believing that he had been successful in his efforts :-) lol

Hmmmm, interesting behaviour indeed! Cormorants beware!!
Enjoy.

Tiercel is banded...

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: 13-Aug-14, 10:39:22 AM »

While this type of happening would be something that you would expect to see out in British Columbia with the Peales sub species of the peregrine falcon, it is not something that you would see with our interior peregrine subspecies…. Then again, the anatum sub-species as we knew it is really no more given all of the cross-breeding that has happened, so, you never know now. Clearly this pair doesn’t look at all typical of the Peales sub species of the peregrine falcon as we know it, but you never know now what linage this pair have come from?

The Peale’s Falcon, Falco peregrinus pealei, is one of the original three North American subspecies of the Peregrine Falcon. This race was first identified by the ornithologist Robert Ridgway in 1873, named in honor of Titian Ramsay Peale, and like the original three north American peregrine sub-species, is (or was) quite distinct in its appearance. The Peale’s peregrine sub-species are the largest subspecies of “Peregrines” anywhere in the world and cold only be found in the western coast lines of the northern parts North America.

Peale's female from wikipedia...

The adults are generally identified by the presence of heavy horizontal barring across their abdomen, large "tear-drop" shaped markings on their breast (more pronounced in the females) extending up into the auriculars, a white, smokey-white, or grayish background color on the breast (as opposed to the salmon to orangish background color on most other subspecies), very broad malar stripe to a full dark cap, and wider, stronger mandibles than is commonly seen in the species as a whole.

PatriciaRose
Juvie

Like Count: 23

Nor'Easter

View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: 13-Aug-14, 05:28:55 PM »

CPF Postmaster Reports:

Although a very late entry, (I must apologize), as just I found this e-mail and attached photos that had obviously been captured and filed away in one of my anti-spam folders!! Sadly, I have only just discovered this particular folder and going through it now. With more than 135 e-mail, its going to take me some time to get through it all,,, but there is some really interesting stuff!!!!!

This particular observation report was sent in to us almost a year ago to this very date, and was sent via the authors I-phone. The very short note included a report of an adult pair of peregrines hunting on a beach in Saskatchewan Canada last year in August of 2013. The pair were actually observed “fishing”!

While the pair were unsuccessful in actually catching a live fish themselves during this observation period, - (with more than a dozen attempts diving into the shallow water after small feeder fish),, they did manage to find a rather large (but very fresh dead fish) that has washed up on the beach. So fresh in fact, that the gulls had not yet discovered it. Although, I’m sure if I was a gull, that I would be hanging around with a determined pair of adult peregrines in hunting mode!

The final photo, pictures the adult male standing on the dead fish, almost to suggest that he is trying to deceive his female mate in believing that he had been successful in his efforts :-) lol

Enjoy.

Tiercel is banded...

How cool is this? Thanks for sharing! 2thumbsup

“There is a destiny That makes us brothers: None goes his way alone: All that we send into the lives of others Comes back into our own.”
~~Edwin Markham
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: 13-Aug-14, 05:31:19 PM »

CPF Postmaster Reports:

Enjoy.

Tiercel is banded...

How cool is this? Thanks for sharing! 2thumbsup

He has a heart like DC! Thanks for the info!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: 13-Aug-14, 05:32:56 PM »

A fishing falcon-amazing!  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: 02-Sep-14, 09:33:38 PM »

Etobicoke

Saw a juvie on the ledge yesterday evening around 6:41 p.m.

I could not really see any bands on this bird.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: 02-Sep-14, 09:46:47 PM »

Wow Alison!  I haven't seen the kids in over a month now, no sightings nor sounds of them.  I wonder if this is one of Jack's 'other' kids from TR site as they don't band there or he's a passer by.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: 22-Dec-14, 06:30:15 AM »

!!! Rogers Centre - Roofing work continues, all is well, and almost completed! The new nest tray is ready to be installed.
December 09, 2014 - International, National and Local News

Mark Nash Reports:

December 2014 Update
Just a quickly update to let everyone know that all is going as planned with the roofing activity almost completed! As you may know, we have been working closely with the Rogers centre management and the roofing company over the past year to ensure that both the workmen and peregrines remain safe during the on-going roofing activities on the Rogers Centre.

With the final water-proofing stage almost complete, (now at the nest ledge itself), we are almost ready to install the new nest tray as soon as the new water protective membrane has been installed. We are all pretty excited about the new nest tray, as it will offer the peregrines a dry elevated nesting spot within the ledge that should provide a ideal place for the peregrines to continue their nesting and family rearing activities. It will also keep the peregrines out of the rain gutter and away from the cold barren water soaked concrete, in addition to keeping the peregrine off of the new protective roof membrane.

The new nest tray was manufactured by CPF with the sponsorship support of the Rogers Centre and was delivered by CPF to the Rogers Centre several weeks ago during my one of my many visits visit. During this time, the new green protective mesh barrier was installed to cover the nest ledge entrance and offer a protective barrier to the roofers, allowing them to safely work within the nest lest ledge itself out of sight of the resident peregrines during the final stage of the roof work. Both resident adults did NOT migrate this fall and are still very active on site!

Both resident adult peregrines have been on site throughout the past four plus months during their roofing activities, and the peregrines aggressiveness has intensified as the roofers have gotten closer to the south west corner (the actual nest ledge).

We are very pleased that both the Rogers centre and Specified Roofing has been working very closely with the CPF over the past year to ensure that both the peregrines and workmen are protected during the roofing process.

CPF will be on site again to be part of the nest tray install to ensure that it will installed correctly.
Stay tuned……………….

The Final Coat to Jack’s Ledge is Complete
December 21, 2014 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

Tracy Simpson Reports:

Today I met with the painters for the final coat to be applied to the south facing ledge of the east tower.  I arrived early and stopped in at Eagle Road and Bloor for a look around in the hopes of spotting the resident adults.  Oh I found them alright…  …Jack was sitting in O’Connors spot on the camera with a nice crop and looking ready for a nap.  As I panned with my binoculars across the ledge at first I wasn’t sure what I was seeing but yes…  …that large lump sticking up just above the edge of the ledge was indeed O’Connors head and bulbous crop.  I snapped a few pictures from below and checked in on the camera and there she was on the edge of the tray also napping the morning away.  I went into the lobby and met up with the crew to get ready for our final ascent on this ledge.

We gathered gear and headed outside to the mezzanine level for our lift.  I checked the ledge and saw that Jack had left his roost.  I checked the web camera image for O’Connor and she had also left her roost.  I scanned around for the two but could not immediately find them so we loaded the stage and made ready to go.  It was then I looked up to where we were headed and saw O’Connor sitting on the west arm of the swing stage looking back down at us.  Hmmmm.

We began our lift and I watched her as we went.  She looked down at us but remained roosting the whole time.  As we approached the ledge we stopped and waited for her to move off but she remained quite content to stay there.  We went a little higher and still no reaction.  We continued to go up a few feet and give her time to acclimatize to our presence and I was at the ready should she come in for a closer look.  It was as we were almost at our destination that she decided to take off and flew directly over to the Kingsway on the Park roof to continue roosting.

As the painters set about completing the south face and ledge I continued to watch for Jack and O’Connor.  Halfway through our task Jack flew out from the east side of the east tower and around to the west tower Moneris sign.  O’Connor followed moments later and there the two remained until our task was complete.  It was only as we were descending for the day that O’Connor reappeared to the south and flew out and around the nest tower to the Aberfoyle side of the building.

I will post the camera shots and pictures that I took today shortly so check back soon for some images of the resident adults.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: 22-Dec-14, 07:01:29 AM »

This is wonderful news for O'Connor and Jack.   A new nest tray for them!    2thumbsup

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: 18-Jan-15, 12:19:57 PM »

!!! Important Message. A Different Male On Site. Not Windwhistler.
January 18, 2015 - Toronto - King Street

Tracy Simpson Reports:

Every once in a while I have news to report that I struggle to put into words. In trying to put my observations down in print, I will write and delete many times as no matter how I say it, it just sounds wrong.  This is one such post.  Please bear with me as it is a long post but it is important to include all observations leading up to this point.

Let me start at the beginning.  On January 11th, I tuned into the King street cam as I do every morning and captured an image of the male on the ledge. It looked as though he had just landed there and immediately my eyes focused on his legs. Black recovery band, yes. Silver USFW band, yes. But…   â€¦the orientation was wrong. The black band was on his left and the silver on his right. After watching Windwhistler for, well, ever (so it seems) this was so very wrong. Windwhistler is one of 3 resident adults that we are aware of in Ontario whose bands are reversed. That is to say the black recovery band appears on his right leg instead of his left.

I contacted Linda right away as she is one of the most experienced people with the downtown nest sites and for the next few days the two of us watched King street like hawks.

I know you…   â€¦as ridiculous as that sounds I couldn’t stop thinking about it.  It is almost impossible to distinguish one peregrine from the next based on markings alone as an individual bird can appear different depending on whether the bird is puffed up, slicked down, etc.  That said, this bird was just so unforgettable. I was in the area on Monday January 12th and made a point to do a site check. Erin was on the ledge laying down behind the pillar (she is doing this more often now as she gets on in age) and the male was on the southeast corner of the nest building.  He was roosting and looking south but I wouldn’t say he was comfortable. After a few minutes he began to vocalize and I watched him jet off of the nest building in a stoop down to Front Street where he disappeared low and west.  The female remained on the nest ledge.

Linda made a few trips out to check on activity in the area but the cold made the adults scarce and the viewing tough. We agreed to meet on Saturday the 17th along with Bruce to try and sort this all out.

This Friday January 16th I was able to save a series of web cam images of both adults on the ledge. The male was sitting in the sun for a few minutes and in that brief period the head markings brought one particular bird to mind immediately. Looking at the image it was as if the bird had been turned upside down and dipped in a bowl of black ink. A helmet head that was so distinct it was remarkable. No distinct malar stripe, just a thick, inky black hood.  Later that morning the female appeared at the far end of the ledge and laid down in the sun.  She was alone for a while then suddenly the male appeared on the ledge down by the camera.  I was able to capture several images of him approaching her, she stood and the pair briefly bowed at each other. This was not right at all.

Today, Saturday January 17th,  Linda, Bruce and I were determined to sort it out for certain. Bruce started out at King and Leader Lane with the male in sight on the nest ledge. I came in from the west and went down to the Queens Quay for some recon of the area around the lakefront. No sign of any birds to the south. I joined Bruce and Linda at the site but the pair had already disappeared. Bruce and I each took a recon walk around the area and Linda did recon to the south. It wasn’t until about 12:30pm that the male returned. He flew over to the northwest corner of the condos on Wellington where we confirmed his band orientation, black recovery band on his left leg. He then flew over to the east side of the King Edward to roost.

I KNOW YOU….  …I couldn’t stop thinking this!  We had him roosting on his right leg and waited for a stretch or preen. We finally got what we were looking for and the full recovery band came into view. We can confirm without doubt that the male currently hanging around the 18 King Street East territory is black 30 over black Y.  This is Stormin hatched at the Toronto Sheraton Hotel nest in 2009. Windwhistler’s grandson.

I had occasion to deal with Stormin quite personally during his brief evaluation with us after being found grounded back on December 1st, 2013. He is one of the most distinct looking peregrines I have ever seen and it was that head that I instantly recognized. This is the first confirmed sighting of him since he lost his territory at Canada Square to Malik, the new confirmed resident male on May 16th, 2014.

So what does this all mean?  The facts are this. Stormin showed up on camera on January 11th and has been making appearances ever since. He is courting Erin and we have not witnessed any other males in the area so far. This does not mean Windwhistler is gone, only that he currently is not on site. Spring mating season will be the true judge of which male will rule this territory. To all of you out watching birds along the lakeshore in winter, keep your eyes open as Windwhistler may be hunting these areas. Bruce will be down today, Sunday January 18th to try and confirm Erin’s band number and observe behavior.

Of note, both Erin and Windwhistler are 17 years old as of spring 2015.  WOW!!!!!

Pictures will follow shortly.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: 18-Jan-15, 12:39:22 PM »

Bittersweet, the end of an era  crying Cry
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: 18-Jan-15, 02:53:30 PM »