THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 11:38:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009680 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: 23-May-12, 11:36:56 AM »

King Street banding going on right now, you can see the guys on cam defending against Erin and WindWhistler!

@11:30, they're back on the ledge.

And Momma's right back too to make sure she chased those featherless creatures away for good!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: 23-May-12, 01:26:57 PM »

!!! Holy O’Connor!
May 23, 2012 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

So for years I’ve read Tracey’s updates on this new female O’Connor that described how fierce and wild she was and for weeks now I’ve been seeing this quiet, docile …albeit rather large female just napping or laying around the ledge hanging out with her kids. 

Fast forward to 15 minutes ago while out on lunch break.  I saw Jack perched on the cam and sure enough O”Connor’s head in the nest box just hanging out.  All of a sudden she rips out of the nestbox screaming her head off and I turn my head and spot a Turkey Vulture flying right over the condo tower across the ledge.

She just attacked that bird with a vengeance and chased it right down the street, …pausing only to gain more altitude and dive back on it.  At one point she drove it right into the side of the condo towers down the street and I saw it hit the side of the building and drop altitude significantly.   I thought he was a goner until I saw him flying low and straight out of the territory and she was still on him until I couldn’t see anymore!

I’m thinking now this is a girl that doesn’t waste energy..she saves it for a worthy opponent!
Posted on May 23, 2012 1:12 pm
Observation for Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: 23-May-12, 02:22:46 PM »

scared blue    hysterical  See!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: 23-May-12, 02:25:55 PM »

Banding Day
May 23, 2012 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:  3 BOYS!!!

Today was banding day.  Anne Yagi, Biologist with the Ministry of Natural Resources performed the banding.  We are happy to report that we have 3 healthy boys.  Statistics are as follows:

Jimmy - Black Band 83/Y - wearing a green band on his right leg - weighing 669 grams - 24 days old.

Port Hope – Black Band 84/Y - wearing a yellow band on his right leg – weighing 636 grams – 24 days old

Carrey – Black Band 85/Y - wearing a red band on his right leg – weighing 686 grams (with a full crop) – 22 days old

Given that they are all males, the Official Fledge Watch will begin on May 31st.

Let the fun begin as they fledge and learn to fly and hunt.  Thanks to PWGSC and the Lift Bridge Staff for their support.

Photos to follow.

Hope MAK and Joyce made it to this one.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: 23-May-12, 02:32:16 PM »

Mackenzie, the tiercel here (Burlington lift Bridge) is DotCa's brother...he's a year older than DC but both born to Jack and Angel.   thumbsup
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: 23-May-12, 02:38:07 PM »

Mackenzie, the tiercel here (Burlington lift Bridge) is DotCa's brother...he's a year older than DC but both born to Jack and Angel.   thumbsup
(Note to self-will need Jack & Angel branch of family tree)

~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #846 on: 23-May-12, 05:54:03 PM »

(Note to self-will need Jack & Angel branch of family tree)
thumbsup

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: 23-May-12, 09:19:47 PM »

3rd egg produced
May 23, 2012 - Port Colborne - ADM Mill
Doug Garbutt Reports:

Yesterday upon arriving at work, I noticed a 3rd egg. The falcons are now in full incubation mode. This is not an easy go for our resident male as yesterday in the early morning there was quite a spectacular aerial combat display. An intruding male tried to take over the nest box. I don’t know for sure who was the victor but we’re hoping it was Buffalo Bill. We’ll try to confirm. The important thing is that Trillium is still incubating the 3 eggs. If it works out, they should hatch around the 21st of June.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: 23-May-12, 10:34:36 PM »

3rd egg produced
May 23, 2012 - Port Colborne - ADM Mill
Doug Garbutt Reports:

Yesterday upon arriving at work, I noticed a 3rd egg. The falcons are now in full incubation mode. This is not an easy go for our resident male as yesterday in the early morning there was quite a spectacular aerial combat display. An intruding male tried to take over the nest box. I don’t know for sure who was the victor but we’re hoping it was Buffalo Bill. We’ll try to confirm. The important thing is that Trillium is still incubating the 3 eggs. If it works out, they should hatch around the 21st of June.

Oh come on, no more fighting!  Sad  Hope all is well there.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: 24-May-12, 05:42:16 AM »

Video From King St Extraction Team
May 23, 2012 - Toronto - King Street
Frank Butson Reports:

Today 4 chicks were banded. Here is a short video clip taken by a member of the extraction team.

Canadian Peregrine Foundation Falcoln Banding 2012 18 King Street Toronto

Photos and a full accounting of the banding will follow soon.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: 24-May-12, 09:12:26 AM »

crying crying crying crying

Another Tragic Loss at MEC
May 24, 2012 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Yesterday was the beginning of the full time Fledge Watch at the MEC site with a full crew taking shifts.  I took the first shift early in the morning and at 7:10am, just as I was sitting at the lights to turn in, the phone rang.  Marion was calling with another juvenile down in front of the nest building.  Security reacted quickly and picked the bird up, placing it in a box in their fire room on the main floor.  I was absolutely speechless and couldn’t even put together a sentence with Marion on the phone.  She called Toronto Wildlife Centre for me and I went in to assess the young one.

When I walked in, security met me at the door and we immediately went to check on the bird.  It was Skyreach.  He was on his belly, eyes closed, feet cold and his breathing was shallow.  We packed him up in the rescue carrier and I headed out to my car to get ready for transport to help.  In the parking lot, I met up with Toivo who was helping with the morning shift.  After a quick moment of orientation, I was off to TWC with Skyreach.

I arrived as they were unlocking the door and they immediately took him in for assessment.  First step was an x-ray that gave us the news we never want to hear.  It was clear that Skyreach had broken both of his legs at the upper joint and they were not in a position to be pinned and so beyond repair.  It would appear that sometime just before I arrived, he had attempted a flight and then turned back to the nest building.  Poor judgement and a bad head wind took him too fast into the building which broke his legs when at the last minute he put them up to absorb the impact.  He fell straight down to the ground and landed flat on his chest as he could not use his legs.  He suffered internal injuries that caused bleeding to occur.  It was then that TWC and I discussed the fact that this bird would never stand properly again given the location of the leg breaks and that the internal injuries were still an unknown as to whether he would survive them.  The call was made to let Skyreach go and with permissions given by the MNR and recommendations by the TWC vet, Skyreach was euthanized.

Two birds, two days, two losses, way too tragic.

I cannot thank enough Jennifer and her teammates on security at MEC.  She has been amazing over the past two days as with all of the staff at the Oxford Property Management Group and security.  It is through your help over the past decade that we have so many successes to celebrate.  Thank you so much everyone.

I was at a loss as to why these young ones were doing this, this was not normal first flight behaviour for this site, and so I was down to close the watch last night and think.  Something was motivating this.  Something was not right.  It was last night as Mark, Marion and I closed the watch that we believe we now know why.  Check back for the full story and details by Mark Nash.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: 24-May-12, 09:24:12 AM »

Oh, Carly, I'm so sorry. That is so sad to lose these 2 babies. crying

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: 24-May-12, 09:30:25 AM »

And here is a partial explanation and my personal comment is how did they not notify CPF especially with 3 babies in the nest  Sad:

!!! Breaking News;MEC Resident Female Not Attending
May 24, 2012 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Last night as Mark, Marion, Bruce and I attended the MEC site to ascertain just what was happening we realized in the 5 hours that we were there, that the resident female had not attended or been seen at all.

We now know without a doubt that the resident female adult has been injured and has unfortunately been taken out of the jurisdiction and sent to a rehabber. The CPF is currently and actively pursuing all avenues available to get information on her physical condition and her status for release. Full details to follow.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: 24-May-12, 09:51:38 AM »

Oh how sad.  You don't really realize what a huge role the parents play in successful fledging until something like this happens. Keeping good thoughts for the remaining juvie & for Mom.

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: 24-May-12, 10:39:44 AM »

Fly free Skyreach  crying

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: