THE FORUM

16-Apr-24, 11:09:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1015043 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: 28-May-12, 05:47:23 AM »

Janet Back on the Nest Ledge and the Watch Continues
May 27, 2012 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

The watch at the Mississauga Executive Centre continues with Janet, the remaining female juvenile, having returned to the nest ledge as of last night from the rooftop where she was released and she is now running the ledge like an expert. She travelled most of the nest building today by hopping from ledge to ledge and running the length of it while flapping most of the way. All this under the watchful eye of Sante, the resident male, who currently has his talons full dealing with not only the loss of his resident female who still remains in rehab ( her condition unknown ) but also with a new female on site as of yesterday at about 3:oopm. This is a banded female and we were able to confirm that she has a black over green band on her left leg and a purple USFW band on her right.

The adult female is attempting to court the resident male who has no interest in her given that he has a dependant juvenile on the nest ledge at this time. Whenever the male catches food for the chick, this new intruder chases him for it and he is spending an incredible amount of time attempting to dodge her and eventually deliver it to his young. When he is not hunting or dodging her as he attempts to feed, his is actively chasing and stooping her to attempt to run her out of the territory in an effort to protect his young. This is what the male spent most of his day and certainly all of his energy doing. The strain upon this male, without the aid of his female, is enormous and he is struggling to stay on top of things. Sante did manage to feed young Janet at least three times today with the last feeding at around 7:00pm.

We will be back down on the watch tomorrow as we are very concerned about the reaction this new female will have to the fledging of the final juvenile at this site. I cannot stress enough that without the assistance of the resident female, the male is having to work that much harder to feed, defend and direct his chick. He is doing an admirable job at it but it is without doubt draining him. Check back for a more detailed update on the progress of this situation.

We  welcome Suzanne to the watch team and look forward to the updates in the future that she will provide.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: 28-May-12, 06:41:02 AM »

Sante is a good dad!  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: 28-May-12, 07:10:22 AM »

Feel bad for him but the longer they keep mom, will give Sante time to bond with new female. Hard decisions. Sad

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: 28-May-12, 06:16:41 PM »

Feel bad for him but the longer they keep mom, will give Sante time to bond with new female. Hard decisions. Sad
but he is not bonding with her. He is doing a DC  devil on her. If the resident female could be released soon all might be well. I find it odd they took out of the area when there are rehabbers near her home. Strange and suspicious  confused
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: 28-May-12, 07:02:23 PM »

but he is not bonding with her. He is doing a DC  devil on her. If the resident female could be released soon all might be well. I find it odd they took out of the area when there are rehabbers near her home. Strange and suspicious  confused

If they keep her longer, he will pull a DC and bond after the swoop! That's what I mean. If moms not badly injured, don't hold her too much longer.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: 28-May-12, 07:04:53 PM »

If they keep her longer, he will pull a DC and bond after the swoop! That's what I mean. If moms not badly injured, don't hold her too much longer.

Agreed!  gum

-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: 29-May-12, 05:39:42 AM »

!!! Flying and Fabulous Father
May 29, 2012 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Frank Butson Reports:

Janet made a few big flights today, keeping her altitude and going long distance both. She made it back to the nest building eventually.

Tracy will edit this part..As we arrived,all 3 falcons were in the air. Janet being harrassed by the new female and Sante protecting Janet. By the time we parked things had momentarily settled. Soon Janet took off again. She headed behind the MEC complex and ended up on a red bricked condo at the corner of Shipp and Rathburn. She landed on a windowsill. There she sat for many hours. By now Tracy had left for a Mississauga school visit so I watched Janet. She wasnt active so I sat down briefly out of visual contact with Janet. I checked several times and she was still there. I saw Sante go to check on her and when we both looked neither her father or I could see her! Ugggh she had flown. I had no idea where. I began scouring every building I could see starting with her last known location. Nothin! Tracy called to say she was on her way back and wanted an update. Frustrated I gave her answers that she was less than happy with.  Finally, while I had been scanning the building she left a fellow saw me looking from his condo unit and came out to the street. He told me it was his windowsill that Janet had rested on and which direction she flew. He said towards the condo across the street. So I went there. I  still couldnt see her. Then I saw 2 falcons on the same ledge at MEC 3.  It turned out it was the new girl and Sante. Back to looking at the other condo. Finally I took the long walk down Rathburn and the backside of the condo where I found Janet! Pheew!! I called Tracy with the good news who by now had arrived and was doing a car search. As I was telling her, she was just down the road at the intersection and spotted Janet too.  Crisis over, Tracy had to get gone to school 2.

Janet stayed atop the condo for several hours. Around 4pm she flew again. Out of my site around the corner. Bruce had just arrived on site and he was relayed the message that Janet was coming his way. He looked up and saw her arrive back at MEC 1. Yeah!! She made it home.

During her stay on the first condo, Sante was trying to bait her off with food. 2 times the new female tried to interfere with this. Sante gave up on the food idea and seemingly came up with his plan of attack..literally. I know we sometimes give human thoughts to Peregrines to explain their actions, but tell me this doesnt sound like Sante was running interference?  He would hover almost in Janets face as if to say ok get ready. Then he made a beeline for the new female where she was perched. He dove at her,stooped her and made contact with her forcing her to duck and cover on the ledge she was on. Not once but at least 3 times he repeated the whole process. My interpretation was that he was keeping the new female busy, giving Janet the chance to fly undisturbed.

Sante was very very agressive with the new female. He attacked her several times, all over the MEC complex of 4 buildings. He gave suck a display of flying.  As stated in other postings, he is really using alot of his energy to do all of this and I do hope as do we all that he looks after himself too.

As the day started to wind down, Mark arrived and he, Tracy and I discussed the days happenings. Mark was chasing answers about Rogue the resident female that is in rehab. Im sure he will post soon with what he has learned. We sat chatting at MEC 3 when we got a call. Security had a double banded bird down and dead. Our hearts jumped to our throats as Tracy and I went over. Indeed they had a band on both legs of a very dead bird. Fortunately it was a Peregrine meal rather than a Peregrine. It was a banded pigeon! We thanked security for the call and told them to keep calling as the next time it could indeed be an injured (or worse) Peregrine. We are glad they are so vigilant in their inspections of the properties and know to call us ASAP. Thanks again for the call!

Tracy and I will be onsite again today, hoping to see more great flights by Janet and there incase the new female does cause Janet to get into trouble. This dynamic is both high drama and very interesting personally to watch unfold as this is a new experience for me. What a chance to observe what goes on when a resident adult female is (potentially)replaced.(photos to come)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: 29-May-12, 06:29:10 AM »

This whole situation is unreal, surreal, amazing and incredible. What a great dad Sante is plotting to keep the intruder away from his girl. Another amazing peregrine story. Hoping mom is releasable soon, or do I? I really don't want to see any of them injured but with 2 against 1, maybe the intruder will get the hint and move on. Thanks!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: 29-May-12, 06:49:56 AM »

Stormin and Haven Taking Care of Business
May 29, 2012 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Frank Butson Reports:

Canada Square Peregrine report for 28th May 2012

I arrived at 5:22pm and had only five minutes before some action took place. Stormin ( as I later found out) flew above the Rio-Can building and the west over 53 Division Police Station. A few minutes later he was back and flew north over the Yonge-Eglinton intersection. Three minutes later he was back and flew high over 53 Division again and was gone. Twenty minutes later he was back, flew over the nest, quite high and then soared high over RC again only to disappear once more. At least I was seeing him today!

Then it was Haven’s turn and she left the nest ledge at Canada Square and flew to the Rio-can building where she perched seven floors down for a few minutes and then flew west. She was back in a minute and flew over the nest then to RC where she perched and preened for a bit. Fifteen minutes later she flew over the nest and back to her perch on RC. Shortly thereafter she flew over the nest again and back along the west side of RC and between RC and the apartment building and was gone from sight, but not for long. Two minutes later she perched on the wall south of the nest before flying low across Eglinton avenue and flushing the pigeons which hang around at the entrance to the mall. She disappeared from view on the east side of RC. However, she got what she set out for ands three minutes later she had a pigeon firmly clasped in her talons! She struggled a wee bit but managed to fly onto the RC roof where she had a bit to eat.

Whilst she was busy I heard a peregrine call from the west and who should come flying in but Stormin and with his OWN food parcel. I could not tell what it was but it looked pretty substantial He flew over the corner where Haven was eating and then disappeared over the RC roof.

Haven then flew from the roof, with her pigeon, around the east side and disappeared for ten minutes. When she reappeared it was without the pigeon and she landed on the wall north of last year’s nest, Shortly after that she flew to the wall at the nest site. At the same time Stormin was flying around on the east side of RC. Haven remained on her wall above the nest for a half an hour. She flew east of the RC and three minutes later was perched five floors down on the RC building. Another half an hour went by and then Haven flew to the nest and disappeared from sight. That was at 8:00 pm. I left at that point. I was very pleased to see both adults today. In my two and a half hours I did not see any food go into the nest.

Lyn

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: 30-May-12, 05:46:03 AM »

!!! Janet Is Missing
May 29, 2012 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Frank Butson Reports:

Unfortunately our worst fears were realized today.  Janet made a wonderful high flight towards the condos behind MEC 3, when the new adult female, bumped her. Janet recovered and tried to make it to the 2nd condo,when she was bumped again, this time causing her to go into a dive to get away from this harrassment.  Sante did his best to stop the adult female from doing this but was unable. It didnt appear to be a crash type landing but we dont know where Janet came down. From the trajectory, most likely in the residential neighborhood to the east of the MEC complex. I headed immediately to begin a search. I stopped in at St’s Peter and Paul  school and got a quick permission to search the roof and immediate school grounds. Thanks to the office staff and principal for allowing this. CPF really appreciates this type of co-operation from the community. While Janet wasnt found there, it was a good help to simply allow us to check.

The search continued on foot and by car. Both Bruce and I searched high and low to no avail. Tracy drove the neighboring areas with no luck either.  Sante was searching from the sky. From his early behavior it didnt seem that he knew where Janet was. Mark arrived and did a once around search by car too.

The positive is that from all over the neighborhood we could see the MEC buildings and Janet will be able to also. This will mean she can head towards home. There is a window of 4 days for Janet to return or be found. If Sante finds and feeds her then there is no limit.  CPF will have a team back on site searching for Janet and monitoring the nest area for her return.  Her need to be fed will drive her to head for home.  She is a good flyer now so getting back home is well within her ability,even at this early stage.

There may have been some noteworthy observations but our sole mission is to find Janet.   We are very hopeful of a positive outcome.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: 30-May-12, 06:31:18 AM »

Not what I wanted to hear and probably what I most feared. Poor Sante, trying to keep 2 girls at bay! Bumping doesn't work, Beauty is proof! I hope they find her today, losing mom and all his babies at once, good grief!! Why is there no word on mom if her injuries are minor? Don't these people who have her keep in touch?  Sad

Good luck BF, Tracy, Mark, Bruce and all the rest who are looking for Janet, I PRAY they find her.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: 30-May-12, 06:41:58 AM »

Mom is needed here to help drive this other female out of the area.  Sad

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: 30-May-12, 07:08:34 AM »

Stormin and Haven
May 30, 2012 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Frank Butson Reports:

Canada Square peregrine report 20120529

As I arrived at 5:22pm a peregrine flew from somewhere south and around to the east side of Canada Square. Then Haven flew in from Duplex Ave, across Eglinton and straight onto the wall/upright at the nest. She checked on the eyases and then flew south – waaaaay south and disappeared.

Ten minutes later Stormin flew onto the Rio-Can building and sat one floor down from the top. Because the peregrine was so high I thought this was Haven. However when he slouched down into a comfortable position I knew it was Stormin. Another ten minutes passed and Haven flew in from the north, along Duplex ave. She flew in front of the south face of RC and found Stormin slouched on his perch then she circled RC and Canada Square a couple of times before disappearing on the east side of RC. All the while Stormin continued to slouch where he was.

A few minutes later Haven returned flew over RC and then landed on the roof where she proceeded to pluck feathers from a food parcel. There were feathers flying everywhere in the breeze and Stormin ignored the whole exercise. Three minutes later Haven flew to the nest ledge with the food parcel and disappeared. Stormin stayed where he was and later on he preened a bit. Twenty minutes after landing on the ledge Haven flew from it, circled back over it, briefly landed on the wall/upright, checked the eyases and then flew south beyond 2180 Yonge and then west.

Stormin’s preening session left him a mite exhausted and he was back to slouching for a few minutes before leaving his perch and flying onto the northwest corner of the RC building. He sat for two minutes and then I heard him call chuk-chuk-chuk three times. I saw him fly up Duplex Avenue and was gone. So I left too at 7:00 pm

Lyn

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: 30-May-12, 11:32:50 AM »

!!! Great News - Janet is home!
May 30, 2012 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Kathy Reports:

Just received a call from Frank and Janet flew in with dad and is safely on the nest building.

More details tonight….

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: 30-May-12, 11:54:04 AM »

!!! Great News - Janet is home!
May 30, 2012 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Kathy Reports:

Just received a call from Frank and Janet flew in with dad and is safely on the nest building.

More details tonight….

That is good news! Thanks!

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: