THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 01:03:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1017063 times)
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: 03-Jun-12, 04:51:12 PM »

By the time the breeding program started up in Canada there were only 6 Peregrine Falcons left in Canada from Alberta to the east coast. Thats 6 individuals. They were in Alberta. Northern Canada still had some at that time.
  Over 4000 Peregrines were released in Canada and the US. Because of their mortaility is so high it took a very long time for them to come back as far as they have. Its easy to see why so many Peregrines are related. The recovery started with so few pairs.
I had no idea the numbers were so low. That makes it an even more amazing recovery.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: 04-Jun-12, 08:25:46 AM »

!!! Niagara Falls Update
June 03, 2012 - Niagara Falls
CPF Postmaster Reports:

June 3rd -2012
Observation reports and updates on our family of peregrines and their hatchlings from our friends to the south in the USA continue to stream in offering very positive news indeed, despite the much cooler non-seasonal temperatures and the much needed rain that has moved in.

While the views over the past 48 hours have been difficult given all of the rain, we can verify that there are at least four hatchlings in the nest, and both resident adults are very much present and attending their new family members.

On yet another front, we are to understand that Wallenda’s walk will take place despite efforts to have him put off his stunt of walking across the falls later in the summer. The good news is that the hatch was much later than expected and the young falcons will not have fledged and as such will still be confined in the nest during the time that Wallenda is expected to do his monkey stunt walk across the falls.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: 05-Jun-12, 01:16:19 PM »

Frank, I just sent you an email bit I see you're on the board.  Have to go into a meeting now but that Oconnor is bonkers  stupid  She just flew down the road, to a building only about 2 stories high to drive a freaken Seagull off a rooftop, she almost got hit by an SUV trying to drive it into traffic.  My heart skipped a beat I swear as I thought she was dead.  Then she turns, gains a few feet of height and starts terrorizing the pigeons on the hydro wires and now she is sitting on top of a bloody Hydro pole!!!

Good lord, I hope she's not going to teach the kids that!  Totally reckless.  Angel never, ever came down that low...the kids were on their own if they ever came down that low.  Cripes she's going to kill us if we have to rescue one of the kids.  hurt
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #918 on: 05-Jun-12, 01:43:02 PM »

Frank, I just sent you an email bit I see you're on the board.  Have to go into a meeting now but that Oconnor is bonkers  stupid  She just flew down the road, to a building only about 2 stories high to drive a freaken Seagull off a rooftop, she almost got hit by an SUV trying to drive it into traffic.  My heart skipped a beat I swear as I thought she was dead.  Then she turns, gains a few feet of height and starts terrorizing the pigeons on the hydro wires and now she is sitting on top of a bloody Hydro pole!!!

Good lord, I hope she's not going to teach the kids that!  Totally reckless.  Angel never, ever came down that low...the kids were on their own if they ever came down that low.  Cripes she's going to kill us if we have to rescue one of the kids.  hurt

scared blue One crazy girl!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: 05-Jun-12, 01:53:32 PM »

Who is this? Was posted on our FB page by Will. It's Toronto!

ezsha
Tiercel

Like Count: 25

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: 05-Jun-12, 02:02:01 PM »

All I know is that it's so high up, the picture gives me vertigo! nausea

I've never had a picture do that before! It's a beautiful picture, but those glass balcony walls... whooo!
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: 05-Jun-12, 02:21:15 PM »

I hate when they come down low.  Scares the heck out of me.  I think Oconnor is trying to be a wallenda!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #922 on: 05-Jun-12, 02:48:55 PM »

Sounds like Tracy needs to pay O'Connor a visit and talk some sense into her!  laugh

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #923 on: 05-Jun-12, 05:00:52 PM »

Sounds like Tracy needs to pay O'Connor a visit and talk some sense into her!  laugh

I'd pay money to see that attempted conversation  football

I checked on her before I left the office and she was gliding in front of the nest ledge showing off for the kids.  She just really scared the heck out of me, I hope she reigns it in because you know what traffic is like there MAK... 
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: 05-Jun-12, 05:22:41 PM »

I've never had a picture do that before! It's a beautiful picture, but those glass balcony walls... whooo!

No guesses?  Sad

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #925 on: 05-Jun-12, 05:23:58 PM »

I'd pay money to see that attempted conversation  football

I checked on her before I left the office and she was gliding in front of the nest ledge showing off for the kids.  She just really scared the heck out of me, I hope she reigns it in because you know what traffic is like there MAK... 

I do understand Carly, but we can only do what we can do, the rest is up to them and fate.  foxbinocs pfalcon

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #926 on: 05-Jun-12, 06:35:04 PM »

No guesses?  Sad

Couldn't see it at work-I'd guess near the nest site where Dot.Ca was hatched-Sun Life in Etobicoke. The fledglings there seem to favor get stuck on glassed in balconies.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
BIGFRANK
« Reply #927 on: 05-Jun-12, 07:18:14 PM »

I wouldnt worry too much about this behavior from O'Connor she is a smart bird and will learn about the hazzards. I think its likely what she was doing is the same as what she did at Osler, which was clearing all areas her chicks could land. There she literally took squirrels by the tail and flinged them off of a lowish rooftop. It will be an interesting watch thats for sure.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #928 on: 05-Jun-12, 08:27:26 PM »

That photo is taken from downtown somewhere, right in the heart of the concrete jungle where King St and Sheraton are located - I recognize those buildings.  There are some pricey condos down in that area as it's right near the harbour front area.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #929 on: 05-Jun-12, 08:30:24 PM »

I wouldnt worry too much about this behavior from O'Connor she is a smart bird and will learn about the hazzards. I think its likely what she was doing is the same as what she did at Osler, which was clearing all areas her chicks could land. There she literally took squirrels by the tail and flinged them off of a lowish rooftop. It will be an interesting watch thats for sure.

I'm guessing you're used to her behavior but let me tell you, my middle aged heart almost seized right up watching her.   lol 
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: