THE FORUM

07-Sep-24, 10:57:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1078634 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: 12-Jun-17, 08:22:11 PM »

Fly free Falk.   Sad
« Last Edit: 13-Jun-17, 06:57:45 PM by Carol P. » Logged

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: 13-Jun-17, 01:14:19 PM »

Morning Two of the Falcon watch. Mr Apollo here got into mischief and needed rescuing from a condo balcony on Aberfoyle. He couldn't figure out why or how to get beyond that smokey glass. He's safe now and will be going back up to the towers tonight to reunite with mom, dad and his 2 siblings who were pretty lazy through my stay (we are still waiting for them to take their first flights).

Rob Mueller

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: 02-Jul-17, 10:24:40 AM »

Canadian Peregrine Foundation
9 hrs ยท
MAJOR NEWS UPDATE!!!! A MUST READ!!! Thanks to the watchful eyes of Linda down at the Toronto Sheraton watch, we have some absolutely incredible news to share with you tonight. While Linda was upstairs in the Sheraton checking on our fledglings there, she looked north at Mount Sinai and saw something unusual on the third ledge from the north. Bruce followed up with a check after which Linda, Harry and myself all stood elated in confirming this amazing event we were all witnessing. Mount Sinai has three hatchlings ready to fledge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More details to come as this story unfolds

Apparently, they are close to each other but they don't care????

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: 02-Jul-17, 11:05:38 AM »

9 hrs ยท
MAJOR NEWS UPDATE!!!! A MUST READ!!! Thanks to the watchful eyes of Linda down at the Toronto Sheraton watch, we have some absolutely incredible news to share with you tonight. While Linda was upstairs in the Sheraton checking on our fledglings there, she looked north at Mount Sinai and saw something unusual on the third ledge from the north. Bruce followed up with a check after which Linda, Harry and myself all stood elated in confirming this amazing event we were all witnessing. Mount Sinai has three hatchlings ready to fledge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! More details to come as this story unfolds

Apparently, they are close to each other but they don't care????

King St. is right down the block too. Mt. Sinai is where Ranger was. Lots of pefas in a small area!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: 03-Jul-17, 11:09:07 AM »

29 mins ยท

Mount Sinai Fledge Watch Update - With Zoe and Falcor taking a short break in rehab, we have switched our efforts up to the Mount Sinai Hospital as the threesome are ready to go. We spent time yesterday watching the family and attempted to get a confirmation on the bands of the adults. I can say with great certainty that we strongly believe the male to be Hunter, a 2000 hatch from the Rhodes Office Tower nest in Ohio. Hunter has been in Toronto for a very long time. Back in 2002-2003, he was positively ID'ed with Ranger at the Canadian Tire building at Yonge and Eglinton and after failing to hatch eggs there, the pair made attempts at other sites in the city. Mount Sinai became their final stronghold where a tray had been installed in 2002 and each year they laid eggs on various ledges that failed to hatch. In December of 2013, following a severe ice storm, Ranger was lost to us having been found deceased on a downtown sidewalk. By 2014 a new female had found Mount Sinai and a lone Hunter looking for a mate. The two again attempted to nest but to no avail. While watching the Toronto Sheraton birds this year, Linda, who has been watching the Mount Sinai pair each year since birds were first noted there in the early 2000's, saw something on that ledge that she knew was different. It was shortly confirmed by Bruce and Harry that there were three young on the third ledge where the nest tray is located and that they were nearly ready to go. Yesterday I made an attempt at getting band number confirmation off of the adults and I can state as fact that the male is banded black H over green ? (can't confirm that yet) and bears the distinct helmet and grey sideburns of Hunter. At 17 years of age he has his first family and he is absolutely elated. We watched him hunt and hunt and hunt... ...he is now in superdad mode. While I have yet to get the bottom letter off of his band, I feel very confident that this is him. We are all feeling incredibly elated that Hunter now can celebrate his first hatch and we look forward to seeing him training his kids. The female remains unidentified at this time but we can say two things about her; she's huge and she's Canadian. I'm on my way down now to try again at band numbers for the female and full confirmation of Hunter while Harry, Bruce and Linda monitor the three crazy kids on the ledge. Pictures to come soon!!!!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: 03-Jul-17, 12:59:09 PM »

GO HUNTER!!! How awesome for him to finally have his first family!! I hope they all fledge well and have no mishaps!! 17 years old.....wow!   heart

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: 03-Jul-17, 02:14:37 PM »

Better late than never eh!? Good for him!  clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: 03-Jul-17, 02:50:20 PM »

It's hard to even wrap my head around that...15 years...not 5 years but 15 years he's been trying.   Shocked
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: 03-Jul-17, 06:12:46 PM »

Amazing!   Shocked2thumbsup

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: 03-Jul-17, 09:17:57 PM »

Wow! So happy for Hunter.  wub2

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: 09-Jul-17, 04:14:06 PM »

Tracy Simpson, a volunteer with the Canadian Peregrine Foundation, keeps a close watch on the birds, which are a species at risk.

Hunter and family in the news!!  clap

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/07/07/on-its-roof-mount-sinai-welcomes-three-baby-peregrine-falcons.html

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: 09-Jul-17, 07:20:10 PM »

Tracy Simpson, a volunteer with the Canadian Peregrine Foundation, keeps a close watch on the birds, which are a species at risk.

Hunter and family in the news!!  clap

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/07/07/on-its-roof-mount-sinai-welcomes-three-baby-peregrine-falcons.html

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: 11-Jul-17, 07:29:29 AM »

Mount Sinai Female Has Been Identified!! - I said in an earlier post, maybe an email (I don't remember!) that this female looked really familiar. A tank, a flying fortress, with a face that I could swear I'd seen before. As ridiculous as that sounds it turns out to be somewhat true. On Sunday I was able to finally get the numbers off of the lower portion of her band. She is Ariel, hatched at the Stoney Creek Vinemount Quarry in 2014. What I saw that struck me as so familiar is her shape, size and face. Her mother is Athena, hatched of the last brood of O'Connor and Hurricane. She looks so much like O'Connor, behaves like her and is as loud as her!!! Her malar stripe is a V just like Hurricane. Both of these traits were passed on to Athena who is a gorgeous falcon and she in turn has handed that down to her daughter. Ariel is a gorgeous bird and is working hard to show Hunter just how she wants things done. She is not a bird I would argue with.

https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19895013_1567888079943035_2928275999579184785_n.jpg?oh=3059c3424afe737d65bb65d4488753f4&oe=59D20762  Click link

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: 05-Oct-17, 06:52:00 PM »

Etobicoke

Several visits to the nest ledge today:

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: 05-Oct-17, 07:22:19 PM »

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 140 141 [142] 143 144 145 146 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: