THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 06:13:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009474 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 14-May-10, 10:29:05 PM »

And just when you thought you'd seen it all...TR Mom has been seen flying with her former mate while Jack babysits their chicks!  Only in Toronto I tell ya!!  rofl

http://www.asic.ca/peregrinefalcons/

And here is Franks video from today of his visit up to see Angel, Jack and the new kids on the block!

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2vteasz&s=5

Boy what a story this is! Hope none get hurt.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 14-May-10, 11:22:32 PM »

And just when you thought you'd seen it all...TR Mom has been seen flying with her former mate while Jack babysits their chicks!  Only in Toronto I tell ya!!  rofl

And here is Franks video from today of his visit up to see Angel, Jack and the new kids on the block!

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2vteasz&s=5

Boy what a story this is! Hope none get hurt.

I hope Milton doesn't get hurt.  He's a cute little guy!  And good for Mom.  Jack has two nest sites; just like Windwhistler did.  This is the first time I have heard of a female being with two males.  Mom is a trendsetter, albeit in a soap opera kind of way!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 18-May-10, 08:07:12 AM »

!!! Hatch Confirmed!!
May 08, 2010 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Based on the good news that we have received, we can confirm without any doubt that there has been a hatch of the first hatchling on or about May 8th.
Congratulations Burlington!

!!! THIRD CHICK IS CONFIRMED 100%
May 17, 2010 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Dennis Patrick Reports:

We’ve been 98% sure we had three chicks and have been struggling to be able to see for that last 2% to make us 100% sure that we had three chicks hatched. Well tonight Lou, Ken, you were right as we watched they all lined up along the nest ledge and waved!!!! Special thanks to Nicko who stuck with us in the rain and helped us 100%confirm the third hatch!! No doubt we have three chicks and they are growing like weeds!!!! They are getting huge. We should have some really good pictures over the next few days.

The maturity and confidence and team work of Voltaire and Freddie is light years ahead of last year!!! We are gased at the possibilities!!
Dennis and Gwenster and the whole Windsor Falcon Watch Team.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 18-May-10, 09:27:26 PM »

!!! 4 eggs reduced to one
May 18, 2010 - Port Colborne - ADM Mill
Doug Garbutt Reports:

The 4 eggs that were once here (for a second time this year) are now only 1. Not sure how the 1st one went missing but I saw the female consume the 2nd one that went missing. This is way too wierd for me to comprehend, but I’m hoping she must have known that the egg she ate was not fertilized because when she ate it, the yoke & white were clearly visible. I think if it was a viable egg that there would have been an embryo or something solid in the egg. So to this point, she has 1 egg left & is on it constantly. We are hoping that this egg will eventually hatch. Never a dull moment here in Port Colborne! Mostly frustrating ones.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 18-May-10, 09:31:12 PM »

What the heck is going on over there!   scared blue

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 19-May-10, 07:23:12 AM »

What the heck is going on over there!   scared blue

I don't know but 7 eggs so far have disappeared!  Shocked

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 19-May-10, 07:32:02 AM »

I know they have a camera but they kind of need some sort of taping capability. 

Anatole France
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 19-May-10, 07:38:08 AM »

I'm going out on a limb here but given he saw the female eating the egg...it begs the question if there isn't an environmental issue going on here.  We've had so many different male/female combinations here and almost always the same result - eggs that aren't viable/destroyed/vanished.  I am beginning to wonder if the mill isn't spewing some nasty chemicals that is affecting the viability of the eggs themselves?  

If it was the same pair or say the same male or female throughout the years - you could question the fertility of one of the pair or both but every year we see either a new male or new female or both.  We've had some hatches but year after year we keep reading about destroyed/missing eggs so for sure something un-natural is going on.

The only other alternative is that someone at the Mill itself is harassing the falcons and stressing them out so much that they are destroying their own eggs.  Either way it's time the MNR stepped in and did some real investigating - given that this is still a protected species.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 19-May-10, 07:42:04 AM »

I'm going out on a limb here but given he saw the female eating the egg...it begs the question if there isn't an environmental issue going on here.  We've had so many different male/female combinations here and almost always the same result - eggs that aren't viable/destroyed/vanished.  I am beginning to wonder if the mill isn't spewing some nasty chemicals that is affecting the viability of the eggs themselves?  

If it was the same pair or say the same male or female throughout the years - you could question the fertility of one of the pair or both but every year we see either a new male or new female or both.  We've had some hatches but year after year we keep reading about destroyed/missing eggs so for sure something un-natural is going on.

The only other alternative is that someone at the Mill itself is harassing the falcons and stressing them out so much that they are destroying their own eggs.  Either way it's time the MNR stepped in and did some real investigating - given that this is still a protected species.

Wow...ya never know. It's pretty sad and i hope someone investigates this. Thanks.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 19-May-10, 11:00:45 AM »

Freedom (M&K's first son) nested there for quite a few years with two different mates and didn't have any problems as far as I know.  In fact, as we all know, Archer was born/raised at that nest site.  So, whatever is going on now?  Who knows.  Very sad though.  Hope this last egg hatches successfully.

Peregrines know no borders.....
~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: 19-May-10, 01:43:42 PM »

surprise   Gudgreef!  Very strange situation!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 20-May-10, 06:21:03 AM »

Mathew has a new post and photos of mom and the new kids on the block...congratulations TR Mom and Jack (again!).  Looks like he's the father of six now!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 20-May-10, 08:35:25 AM »

Mathew has a new post and photos of mom and the new kids on the block...congratulations TR Mom and Jack (again!).  Looks like he's the father of six now!!

Whatever happened to Milton?  Shocked

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 20-May-10, 09:01:16 AM »

No sign of Milton since Mathew saw him and mom flying around together behind Jack's back  Undecided   He had to go away for two days right after that day and when he came back no sign of the little guy.  No reports of conflict either by the residents so perhaps he's hanging out somewhere nearby in safety or he's decided to enjoy his summer and will be back when the kids are grown.  We'll have to wait and see what happens.
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 20-May-10, 10:37:00 AM »

I was hoping Mom would prefer Milton who is more faithful than Jack who is maintaining two females! Wink

Anatole France
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: