THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 09:50:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009513 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29-Aug-09, 04:29:21 PM »

We need more tiercels in the city but we don't seem to attract them so much as the females.  The ones born here don't do very well either.  Too many glass buildings, too much traffic and then the evil airport where all 3 male juvies died last year from one site alone.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29-Aug-09, 04:56:21 PM »

I do not believe that Linn laid any eggs this year.  We (Kathy O, Lisa McK, Linda W and I) actually stopped to look for her on our way home after RM&T's banding day.  Linn was nowhere to be found.  Haven't heard about any Linn sightings all Summer.   falcon2

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30-Aug-09, 10:53:00 PM »

Falcon earns wings and freedom after helping to control gulls at Alta. landfill

EDMONTON — A nine-year-old peregrine falcon who has spent the last few months harassing and even killing nuisance gulls as part of a unique program at a city landfill site, was released back into the wild in a ceremony Sunday.

The bird's handler, Steve Schwartze, who owns Falcon Ecosystem Solutions, based in Lethbridge, Alta., said he realized the time had come for the bird to really spread her wings when she began leaving the landfill site and flying to areas east and south of Edmonton.

He thought the falcon, named Val, was perhaps ripe to establish her own territory and eventually even find a mate to help replenish the endangered species.

Schwartze, 25, a native of the Toronto area, hoped that Val would adapt easily to life back in the wild, now that she's experienced at hunting and killing gulls.

"The only difference when she kills a gull or a pigeon, is that there won't be a guy in a hard hat to pick her up and take her home at the end of the day," he said.

The falcon first came into captivity about eight years ago when she struck a power line in southern Saskatchewan and broke her wing.

Jim Kroshus, a hobbyist falconer in Moose Jaw, Sask., worked with the rehabilitated falcon for several years, setting her on prey such as partridge and other game birds.

But he felt she wasn't living up to her full potential because of strict provincial regulations that prevented her from hunting the quicker and stronger gulls.

Last December, in a chat with Schwartze who is licensed to perform nuisance bird control at the Edmonton Waste Management Ltd., site, Kroshus made the decision to put her to work in Alberta.

It was a steep learning curve for a bird who had spent most of her life in school classrooms educating children about peregrine falcons, or diving over quiet fields in rural Saskatchewan, said Schwartze.

"A bird that's gone eight years flying around the stubble fields of southern Saskatchewan hunting partridges, you take them into a landfill where there's heavy machinery and buildings and new elements, they immediately want to fly away," he said.

Val and Schwartze's stable of over a dozen falcons and hawks ply their services at landfill sites, golf courses, airports and private property around Alberta - one of only a handful of such companies in Canada.

Similar methods are used by firms in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and British Columbia, Schwartze said.

Schwartze is already training Val's replacement, four-month-old Jenna, who is among the first to be raised at an Alberta landfill site, which will hopefully get her used to the noise and flying near buildings.

He said she's already "dog fighting" gulls in mid-air, honing her hunting skills.

"While I'd love to kill no gulls, it's important that they're constantly re-educated on what a falcon's presence may mean to them," he said.

The Edmonton landfill site, owned by the Houston-based company, uses devices similar to firecrackers to scare the gulls. But two years ago, realizing they couldn't bury the garbage fast enough to deter an increasing number of gulls, company spokesman Cam Hantiuk said they decided to reintroduce a falcon program.

"We felt simply, as a good neighbour with the rest of our neighbours in the area, that we would start to more aggressively manage the gulls again," he said.

It's not a new approach to such problems, Hantiuk said, and has been used at other landfill sites in Canada.

"We've been very, very pleased with the results," Hantiuk said.

Peregrine falcon populations began declining in the 1950s, mainly due to the widespread use of DDT used to kill mosquitoes and other pests.

By the 1970s, when several countries had banned the pesticide, the Canadian Wildlife Service in Wainwright, Alta., began repopulating the species in Canada.

The Canadian Peregrine Foundation said that effort has paid off with nesting pairs now in several communities, including Toronto, Ottawa, Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary and Edmonton.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01-Sep-09, 10:20:03 PM »

sparrow   
Falconers Jim Kroshus, left, and Steve Schwartze stand by seconds before Val, the peregrine falcon, is released back into wild Sunday after nine years in captivity.Falconers Jim Kroshus, left, and Steve Schwartze stand by seconds before Val, the peregrine falcon, is released

After nearly a decade in captivity, a peregrine falcon was released into the wild Sunday in a small ceremony at a landfill site in Edmonton.

Val, as the peregrine falcon was named, broke its wing nine years ago after it flew into a power line in Saskatchewan. But now its handlers believe it has recovered enough to make it out into the wild.

"By releasing Val, we're giving her an opportunity to become one of those breeders who will contribute their genes and their offspring to the population," said Steve Schwartze, owner of Falcon Ecosystems Solutions.

Sunday marked the end of a long rehabilitation program for Val.

After the falcon was injured, it was taken in by Jim Kroshus, a falconer based in Moose Jaw, Sask. Kroshus worked with the bird for several years, so it could be strong enough to hunt partridges and other birds.

However, laws in Saskatchewan prevented Val from hunting quicker birds like gulls, which would be the next step in the falcon's rehabilitation.

So Kroshus decided to send the bird to Edmonton where it could work with Schwartze's licensed gull-abatement program at the West Edmonton Landfill. The program uses falcons to scare and sometimes kill gulls that feed off the garbage.

Now, Val's handlers feel the bird is ready to spend the rest of its life in the wild and help build Alberta's peregrine falcon population.

"We're crossing our fingers for her that everything goes well, and that's ultimately the best thing for a peregrine that was originally in the wild is to be back out there," Schwartze said.

While there is a chance the falcon might still hang around the landfill, Schwartze predicts it'll find new territory to live and hunt in.

Peregrine falcons are classified as a threatened species in Canada. There are about 55 to 70 nesting pairs of falcons in Alberta, Schwartze said.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01-Sep-09, 11:27:19 PM »

I found a link with pictures of Val!

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmonton/2009/08/30/10680866.html

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 03-Sep-09, 06:46:03 AM »

thanx jeanne, great find, hope she does well out there.

Donna

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03-Sep-09, 06:47:06 AM »

Peregrine At The Water Tower
September 03, 2009 - Scarborough - Bell
Frank Butson Reports:

For the past 2 weeks,there have been several sightings of a Peregrine Falcon,which I believe is a male adult,at the water tower near Warden and Eglinton. My friend Murray Shields saw it twice,one week apart,perched under the tank. This location is nearish both our former hacksite of Pharmacy and Eglinton and a nesting site which is abit further north at the Yellow Pages building,at Markham and Milner. On one of his visits,Murray spoke to someone who worked nearby and the person told him the bird had been there for a month or so.  Thanks to Murray for the photos.
Posted on September 3, 2009 4:58 am
Observation for Scarborough - Bell
Peregrine on Water Tower

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 03-Sep-09, 06:50:23 AM »

10 Peregrines Sighted in August
September 03, 2009 - International, National and Local News
Frank Butson Reports:

When  fledge watches end for another season and fall migration begins,I run a raptor watch. That is friends and I gather to count migrating birds of prey,including Peregrine Falcons going past Rosetta McClain Gardens in Scarborough,Ontario Canada. This August,which is the start of migration season for birds of prey,we enjoyed 10 sightings of Peregrine Falcons. This is the highest August total in 6 years of counting at this site. We record each sighting,though we cant be sure all are different individuals. I am sure at least 7 of these sightings were different birds.  I will be sure to update our total sightings at the end of September or if we have an exceptional day. One day last fall,we saw 18 Peregrines,all of which were different individuals.  Canadian Peregrine Foundation staff and volunteers,including Mark and Marion Nash,Bruce,Linda and Kathy will all join me at some stage during the fall season and we hope to have a banner day to report.
Posted on September 3, 2009 5:17 am
Observation for International, National and Local News
Migrating Peregrine In Flight

sparrow sparrow sparrow sparrow sparrow sparrow sparrow sparrow sparrow sparrow  10 falcons wow!!!

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03-Sep-09, 12:35:04 PM »

Probably 9 of them were from here.  They love canada  happy

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03-Sep-09, 01:17:23 PM »

Probably 9 of them were from here.  They love canada  happy

Yes they do jeanne!! falcon

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03-Sep-09, 02:00:41 PM »

pfalcon
September 03, 2009 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

What a sight this morning, Angel on the corner of the East Tower and Elena on the corner of the West Tower.  I could see them from two blocks away - these two large females both in exactly the same positions facing each other across the towers!

Yesterday morning both of them were on the sign perched together eating breakfast and then Angel flew off to her cam eventually and Elena flew to a ledge on the back of the nest site building to get some shade.

From my point of view, it’s been an absolute delight to watch both Angel and Elena still interacting at this late date.  It’s like they are sisters hanging out together.  Last year the juvies were dispered by this time with occassional sightings every few weeks but this is the first time I’ve seen one stay so close to home.   More interesting is that Angel is not only tolerating her presence but seems to be enjoying it.  Perhaps because Jack has not been around, she appreciates having an extra pair of talons to protect her site or perhaps this type of behaviour goes on more than we think in urban settings.  I know at certain nest sites in Europe, juveniles returning the next Spring were not only tolerated but in one case in the UK - the previous years female offspring was actually allowed to help in the feeding of mom’s current offspring which previously had been unheard of!   I expect Elena will leave soon though in order to migrate..we’ll have to see and if she does, she will certainly benefit from this additional time spent with Angel learning to hone her skills.

I had a report late last night that someone has spotted Jack, our resident male over the past 4-5 days near the residential site.  Perhaps given that it’s migration season he’s positioned himself between his two territories so he can ensure that no other falcon wandering through the area gets any ideas about trying for one of his sites!  As I mentioned before he has apparently bonded with the female at a private site this summer after her mate was seriously injured during nesting season.

I have done some research on ‘bigamous’ male falcons and have found a few interesting papers written by US biologists and it seems it has to do with ‘territory’ and nothing to do with wanting two mates!  In all cases reported - a male at an adjoining site had been injured and/or disappeared and the male at the adjoining nest site saw it as an opportunity to either expand his territory or reclaim what had originally been part of his existing territory.  Unfortunately the rate of success for maintaining two nest sites and successfully raising two sets of eyases is not very good and those that have succeeded had only done so with the assistance of humans.

It will be interesting to see whether or not he can keep both sites and if he does - what will happen next Spring if the residential male is recovered and released.  Never a dull moment in the Falcon World! pfalcon

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03-Sep-09, 07:43:28 PM »

Hmm, maybe this is what Archer was doing when he was flying to Mariah and then Beauty? 

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04-Sep-09, 07:08:43 AM »

!!! Snowbirds bring Jack home?
September 03, 2009 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

The snowbirds are practicing for their weekend air show it seems.  They usually dont’ practice their flying so close to our complex but for the past few hours they have been delighting people and scaring birds of all species.  At one point they flew so low on top of our building we were deafened by the sound and if you were outside you could read the letters on their jets - that’s how low they got.

As soon as the rumbling started and I saw birds panicking and flying in all directions outside the windows I went out to check on our guys.  Elena was on the ADP sign apparently not in the least intimidated…kids =p  And then I went around the back of the building and saw 2 peregrine falcons on the same ledge about a wing span apart.  My first thought was wow..Elena flies fast but quickly realized that one of those falcons was alot bigger than the other and both were black and white and not brown!  Both heads were swiveling back and forth and both were facing inwards towards the wall.  Interestingly there are workmen on the condo next door and normally Angel would at least be kacking to let them know she’s not impressed however no one is even moving from the ledge right now.  I watched them for a good 15 minutes and I’m pretty sure one was our resident male unless mom has something she’d like to share with me Smiley

The noise is still ongoing and expected to last until 4:30 pm both today and tomorrow.  I just went out to do another check and only Angel is out back now, no sign of Elena or Jack at all.  Mom flew around in a circle for me but the planes start coming back and she immediately landed on the ledge again.  I will check on them when I leave the office.

At least I know what to do the next time I’m worried Jack is missing, I’ll just call out the army (sorry Mel)!

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04-Sep-09, 01:54:06 PM »

I LOVE the narratives from the Canadian watchers!  Glad Jack is back.  I remember when the Blue Angels were here in Rochester when we had juvies.  As though the smokestacks weren't enough of a nerve wracking experience! Shocked

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09-Sep-09, 08:08:12 AM »

falcon

!!! Lots of Kacking today!
September 08, 2009 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

Took me 30 minutes to get anID on Jack today in the blazing, hot sun but I’m pretty sure it’s him.  Very white upper breast and the sideburns are the same shape as his - couldn’t see his feet though.  I had to go into a back lane behind the retail area to get a look at the side of his head to verify as he was standing right on top of the building in the hot sun - very unusual especially as it’s 30c today - both parents were alarm calling and defending several times today that I heard about and a few times I witnessed. sparrow

11:55 today and by that point I had only seen Angel early in the morning. Suddenly she started alarm calling and flew off the ledge over the condo rooftops and Jack, who was on the roof not visible to me, came flying to join her and both took off after something.  I didn’t see what the ’something’ was but pigeons were scattering everywhere.

1:00 approximately and alarm calling again, only saw 2 adult falcons in the air but no sign of intruder that I saw.

2:55 again alarm calling and male takes off northwest over the park, mom gets on top of the building and starts kacking.  Once again - blinded by sunlight - and no sign of who was upsetting them.

3:30 and both Angel and Jack on the roof ledge looking around.  They were both on alert for something and then finally by 4:06 pm  Angel relaxed enough to go back to the nest ledge while Jack stayed up top on guard in all his glory.

No sign of Elena today  I haven’t spotted her since Thursday when the  jets were around and they flew all weekend so maybe she decided it was time to go, especially with both parents now back and defending the territory together!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: