THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 02:11:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009418 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: 03-Jun-11, 08:22:26 PM »

Three eyases were banded this afternoon at Etobicoke Sun Life - Jack and Angel's kids!  They all weighed 700 grams....so they had to measure feet and determined 2 were girls and 1 was male but because he was tougher to determine, he's wearing female bands..just in case.  They were named Skye, Hera and Jupiter. 

Small girls for Angel compared to past years but all looked and 'sounded' quite healthy  wub2

Congratulations! Does Jack have any eyases with the "other female"?

This evening the monitoring camera was cooperating and the young were out of the corner, so here's a shot of that. As you can see they're getting pretty big, and no doubt this will continue until they reach full size. In the next few days I'll post my calculations on when first flights may take place, but there is still a bit of time before that happens.

In somewhat related news, Jack's other family at Bloor and Islington got banded today, two gals and one boy. Their names are Skye, Hera and Jupiter. Kathy over there thought they only had two so it's cool that they got a bit of a surprise today.
  YUP!!

Well hey, colour me frustrated, to put it mildly. Fortunately I am putting it mildly because compounded by unrelated technical issues I could swear a blue streak right now but frankly, who might be listening anyways.

Around noon today, I was treated to a glorious few moments of monitoring cam footage, in which I clearly saw two juveniles. A moment later, I saw what could easily have resembled four juveniles, and given I can't see sweet @#$% all with any certainty, who knows what's up there.

At this point, we've abandoned plans to band based on a now inaccurate notion that there was only one juvenile to band. We clearly have at least two, perhaps more. I have put a call in with the MNR to determine what influence this new information may have on banding, and I've also asked if someone from the MNR could come stick their head over the edge of the roof so we could gain some certainty on this saga. I'll let you know how that works out as soon as I know more.

Update - well that was quick. The banding plan will remain as planned - if a bird comes to ground it gets banded. I don't foresee anyone will be coming here to see what we have on the ledge either.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: 03-Jun-11, 08:31:24 PM »

Three eyases were banded this afternoon at Etobicoke Sun Life - Jack and Angel's kids!  They all weighed 700 grams....so they had to measure feet and determined 2 were girls and 1 was male but because he was tougher to determine, he's wearing female bands..just in case.  They were named Skye, Hera and Jupiter. 

Small girls for Angel compared to past years but all looked and 'sounded' quite healthy  wub2

Congratulations! Does Jack have any eyases with the "other female"?

This evening the monitoring camera was cooperating and the young were out of the corner, so here's a shot of that. As you can see they're getting pretty big, and no doubt this will continue until they reach full size. In the next few days I'll post my calculations on when first flights may take place, but there is still a bit of time before that happens.

In somewhat related news, Jack's other family at Bloor and Islington got banded today, two gals and one boy. Their names are Skye, Hera and Jupiter. Kathy over there thought they only had two so it's cool that they got a bit of a surprise today.
  YUP!!

Well hey, colour me frustrated, to put it mildly. Fortunately I am putting it mildly because compounded by unrelated technical issues I could swear a blue streak right now but frankly, who might be listening anyways.

Around noon today, I was treated to a glorious few moments of monitoring cam footage, in which I clearly saw two juveniles. A moment later, I saw what could easily have resembled four juveniles, and given I can't see sweet @#$% all with any certainty, who knows what's up there.

At this point, we've abandoned plans to band based on a now inaccurate notion that there was only one juvenile to band. We clearly have at least two, perhaps more. I have put a call in with the MNR to determine what influence this new information may have on banding, and I've also asked if someone from the MNR could come stick their head over the edge of the roof so we could gain some certainty on this saga. I'll let you know how that works out as soon as I know more.

Update - well that was quick. The banding plan will remain as planned - if a bird comes to ground it gets banded. I don't foresee anyone will be coming here to see what we have on the ledge either.

I guess I'm confused.  Does all 6 of Jack's kids have the same 3 names?

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: 03-Jun-11, 08:43:45 PM »

Hehe...no Jack's other 2 kids (Mathew thought there was only one but seems there are two now) are not named and they're not being banded this year unless they come to ground.  He just mentioned our kids names on his blog..since their two are siblings to ours or 'half-siblings as it were  rofl 

I coordinate with him as both our sites share "Jack" and in the interest of the females and the kids welfare it helps us determine where he is and that he is okay when one of us hasn't seen him for awhile.  Especially after last year's territorial fights, we were concerned if something happened to Jack then we'd have two nest sites with no tiercel and newly hatched eyases. 

That would have resulted in tragedy for sure as both females would have been torn between keeping the kids warm and dry during those first crucial 10 days and going out to hunt to feed them.  Would have been a lose/lose situation for both sites.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: 04-Jun-11, 06:33:48 AM »

!!! King St. Banding a Hit
June 03, 2011 - Toronto - King Street
Linda Woods Reports:

Today was the big day for our two peregrine hatchlings at 18 King St. East.

Here is a brief outline of today’s event with much more detailed information and photos to follow as soon as it is made available.

Mark Nash of the Canadian Peregrine Foundation emceed the event with many tenants, dedicated volunteers and The Toronto Council Fire of the Native Cultural Centre, were in attendance to see these wonderful birds.

The weather could not have been better. Clear skies, warm temps  and light winds made for the perfect day.

As the swing stage made it way to the nest ledge, both peregrine adults made sure of their territory with swoops and stoops and vocalizations.

Two young ones were temporarily removed from the  nesting area to be banded by Mark Heaton, Senior Biologist of the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources.

One female and one male both received identification bands placed on the left leg.While a silver US wildlife band was placed on the right leg of both birds.

Full of white downy fluff, the two tolerated the painless banding very well with little vocalization. They were given names provided by a school children in Japan in memory of the devastating earthquake and Tsunami that occured a few months ago.

Many thanks to Sandra Celli of Avison and Young, along with Slate Properties for being long time guardians of the historical 18 King St. nest  site. Special thanks to John Mederios  for his unending support for the volunteers.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/06/sightings/king-st-banding-a-hit/ pics here

Does that mean their names are Earthquake & Tsunami?  ???

dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #454 on: 04-Jun-11, 09:42:17 AM »

Does that mean their names are Earthquake & Tsunami?  ???

I had the same question, Donna. I know a lot of people don't really care that much about human names for birds.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: 04-Jun-11, 04:07:35 PM »

!!! Banding Day!
June 04, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

Yesterday was banding day for our little threesome!  Angel was her usual fierce self and Jack did show up a few times to cheer mom on and give her some vocal support.

All three weighed 700 grams and all were estimated to be 27 days old.   Because they fell in the 650-750 range it took a bit of measuring to determine between female and male although vocalizations or lack thereof certainly added to the final verdict!

We have two girls - Skye and Hera, both of who seemed to have inherited their mother’s vocal powers!  And our quiet one was deemed to be male and named Jupiter!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: 06-Jun-11, 05:59:43 PM »

Tragic news from Jacks other site.  First we thought there was one, found out there was two and now one has been found dead  crying crying

Mathew sent me an email and also just posted the news to their site.

Jun 6, 2011 - Unfortunate news

Around 5PM while walking my dog, I found a juvenile on the ground directly under the ledge. It was not alive, and obviously feel straight down to where I found it.

I know from checking earlier this afternoon there were two on the ledge. So, sorry to say, there is now only one. Sad

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: 06-Jun-11, 07:14:51 PM »

Tragic news from Jacks other site.  First we thought there was one, found out there was two and now one has been found dead  crying crying

Around 5PM while walking my dog, I found a juvenile on the ground directly under the ledge. It was not alive, and obviously feel straight down to where I found it.

I know from checking earlier this afternoon there were two on the ledge. So, sorry to say, there is now only one. Sad

So sorry about this, Carly. Fly free, little one. Sad
« Last Edit: 06-Jun-11, 07:24:50 PM by Kris G. » Logged

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: 06-Jun-11, 07:35:19 PM »

Tragic news from Jacks other site.  First we thought there was one, found out there was two and now one has been found dead  crying crying

So sorry about this, Carly. Fly free, little one. Sad
[/quo
I am also sorry to hear this news about the little one.   Fly free, and high, little one.  "May flights of angels sing you to your peace."
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: 06-Jun-11, 07:37:30 PM »

Tragic news from Jacks other site.  First we thought there was one, found out there was two and now one has been found dead  crying crying

Oh no...poor baby!  crying

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: 06-Jun-11, 07:46:35 PM »

Oh how sad! Poor little guy! Fly Free.  crying

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: 06-Jun-11, 08:30:48 PM »

Dear precious little one, fly free Cry

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: 06-Jun-11, 08:56:32 PM »

Cry

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: 06-Jun-11, 11:04:06 PM »

Two peregine falcons, named Lady Gaga and Spitfire, hatched under Windsor bridge

WINDSOR, Ont. - Two peregrine falcon chicks have hatched on a ledge under the Ambassador Bridge in Windsor, Ont.

The hatchlings were removed from their nest under the swooping, screeching watch of their parents — Voltaire and Freddie — today to be checked over, weighed and banded.

The Ministry of Natural Resources brought them down in a pet carrier to check them under a tent near the University of Windsor.

Dennis Patrick of the Canadian Peregrine Foundation says the parents are both from Ohio — Voltaire is from East Lake and Freddie is from Bowling Green.

Patrick says the chicks — a male and a female — will leave the nest by fall and could head anywhere across North America.

The young birds were also named today — the female is Lady Gaga, the male is named Spitfire for Windsor's hockey team.

Patrick says the peregrines are endangered and the nest under the busy bridge to the United States is the only established nest in Essex County.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: 08-Jun-11, 07:03:02 AM »

!!!
June 05, 2011 - International, National and Local News
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011
Today is Sunday June 5, it is 3:04 pm and there is a peregrine falcon sitting on the balcony 12th floor railing.. It has been sitting there all day just looking around. Very beautiful bird. My daughter is on the 11th floor on another building and she is taking pictures of it.
We are in Leamington, Ontario, Canada. Down by Windsor where one of the other sightings recently was.
Anita

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: