THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 02:57:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1016011 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: 18-Jun-11, 10:24:36 AM »

When we were in Toronto last weekend Tracy had lots to say about O'Connor! She thinks O'Connor is one of if not the fiercest Peregrine females she has ever encountered. Go get'em lady O!  Grin
 falcon2 foxbinocs

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: 18-Jun-11, 10:05:52 PM »

William Osler Adults Trying Everything to Get a Fledge!!
June 18, 2011 - Etobicoke - William Osler
Tracy Simpson Reports:

(This is hysterical)  hysterical

After the return of Storm to the nest ledge today, the resident adults allowed the chicks a bit of sleep time before launching a ā€œfledge nowā€ campaign that was relentless.  Hurricane and Oā€™Connor tried every trick in the ā€œBook of Fledgeā€ that they know to no avail.  There was a feeding at 4:o0pm by the female.  She flew up to the eastern ā€œHā€ and fed herself first before landing on the southeast corner with the remains of the meal.  She was immediately mugged by Storm who then began to self feed.  Oā€™Connor allowed this to go on for a minute until Rain grabbed the food and made a mad dash for the tray.  Oā€™Connor flew off the ledge, came around and landed right in front of the sprinting Rain which stopped her dead in her tracks.  The resident female then plopped one massive foot on the food and mantled up which backed Rain up a good 2 feet immediately.  Seeing this behaviour from his young, Hurricane stooped the ledge and screamed at the chicks for treating Oā€™Connor that way which had the effect of flattening them on their tummies to the ledge.  They got in trouble all right!!  The female then took the food over to them and proceed to feed as long as they remained polite.  By 5:00pm, the chicks were sound asleep and Oā€™Connor flew in to wake them up.  She tried to tease them out with touch and goā€™s but that didnā€™t work either.  Hurricane then tried a food fly by which only made them scream louder.  Both parents then retired to the southern ā€œHā€ sign for a tactical meeting and the three juveniles attempted to eavesdrop from the southeast corner.  At 7:30pm, Oā€™Connor flew in and wound the chicks up while Hurricane pulled out all the stops; food fly bys, come soar with me flights, through the ledge ā€œfuzz buzzesā€, touch and goā€™s and every tease out that he could think of.  He finally gave up and headed over to the tower and just screamed back at them!!  Now at 9:33pm, Hurricane has taken up his position on the northeast corner which has only served to wind them up again and at a time where I can barely see them.  I believe food just arrived in the form of a small package that will hopefully keep them down for the night.  I look forward to seeing what tactics the adults employ tomorrow.  I think its going to be a busy day!!!

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: 19-Jun-11, 06:25:32 AM »

Here's a little bit from the RSPB re "kids leaving the nest" - apropos the earlier story posted by Donna re Hurricane's and O'Connor's efforts.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/b/notesonnature/archive/2011/06/17/it-s-time-to-leave-home-kids.aspx
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: 19-Jun-11, 06:31:47 AM »

Here's a little bit from the RSPB re "kids leaving the nest" - apropos the earlier story posted by Donna re Hurricane's and O'Connor's efforts.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/b/notesonnature/archive/2011/06/17/it-s-time-to-leave-home-kids.aspx

Eventually the parents get fed up and abandon the ā€˜teenageā€™ puffin. The hungry fledgling has to leave the burrow on its own, at night. The little bird then makes its way to the sea.
Puffins!!  Shocked

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: 19-Jun-11, 06:48:46 AM »

Eventually the parents get fed up and abandon the ā€˜teenageā€™ puffin. The hungry fledgling has to leave the burrow on its own, at night. The little bird then makes its way to the sea.[/b][/i] Puffins!!  Shocked

______

There's tough love for you!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: 19-Jun-11, 07:16:46 AM »

Balloons, again
June 18, 2011 - Toronto - King Street
Linda Woods Reports:

Received a report that an adult at another nest site, took out a weather balloon. This morning, view from south of the King St nest site, I could hear an adult sounding off. I looked skyward and saw an adult peregrine in climbing, flapping to gain height. Off towards the east was a small blue balloon that was floating upward.  I did a nest ledge check around noon and both Sukura and Kendal were still there.

2nd Fledge!! Max gets up the nerve.
- Port Colborne - ADM Mill
Doug Garbutt Reports:

After days of anticipation & thinking geewiz this guy is good to go, Max took the big jump at precisely 2:25 pm today. His 1st flight took him around the tower on the 12th floor where the nest box is. He lost altitude curving around to the 8th floor roof where he landed. Itā€™s a good spot as thereā€™s lots of room to practice flying without too many hazards. Itā€™s the same roof Olivia landed on after her 1st flight yesterday. She already seems like a pro flyer & is trying to show Max the ropes. All the while the young ones were having fun & practicing on the roof, Mom was watching from above. Itā€™s hard to keep track of what is happening but when I left late today Olivia & the 2 adults were accounted for. Iā€™m sure Max found a safe spot to spend the night. Iā€™ll check tomorrow.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: 20-Jun-11, 06:21:32 AM »

!!! Fledge time is very close!! Resident adult female identified with a Black 8 over a Red D coloured band and a purple coloured USFW band!

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/06/sightings/fledge-time-is-very-close-resident-adult-female-identified-with-a-black-8-over-a-red-d-band-and-a-purple-coloured-usfw-band/

!!! Getting close!
June 19, 2011 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
Mark Nash Reports:

A quick spot check on the hatchlings this moring and all seems to be well and its getting close to their first flights. All three of the kids were still in the nest ledge laying down to escape the hot moring sun with mom roosting on the metal flashing of the nest ledge.
Sadly, no pictures today but they will soon be up on the nest ledge and the fun will soon begin.
Stay tunedā€¦.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: 20-Jun-11, 08:04:37 PM »

June 20, 2011 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Dennis Patrick Reports:

Here are the long awaited pictures of the banding crew and the peregrines.
Donā€™t go away lots more to follow.

We need help!!
If you are in the Windsor area and know about computers and pictures and want to be on the CPF volunteer team to help us post many more pictures please email us at
WPFW2011@gmail.com

Thanks
Dennis

I guess they installed a nest tray during the banding...

Lady Gaga & Spitfire...aren't they the cutest?  wub2
« Last Edit: 22-Jun-11, 06:14:37 PM by Joyce » Logged

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: 20-Jun-11, 08:10:24 PM »

Too bad I didn't live near there...I'd post pics for them!!  Embarrassed And yes Ei, they are both cute.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: 20-Jun-11, 09:58:27 PM »

Really,really cute!

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: 21-Jun-11, 06:24:39 AM »

All in one day!! By Mark Nash!! OMG!!!

Today started out like any other day at this time of year with the phone ringing off the hook and several calls on the go at the same time, two people on hold and everyone has a peregrine baby in their back yard! Pigeons, American kestrels, Coopers hawks and Sharp-shinned hawks all seem to invade the city at this time of year!
Then thereā€™s the real peregrines, and a flurry of calls from Etobicoke about a fledgling named Jupiter down on the deck not looking to well. A quick scramble and another serious of calls to ask Kathy to cover off the Yellow pages watch, shuttle Marion to take over the King Street watch, and run out to Etobicoke Sun Life nest site at Bloor & Islington to find out what has happened.
More call on the mobile while on the road again from Tracy and Frank out at the William Osler watch with another downed fledgling needing to be rescued from the ground and in harms way.
Bruce calls to update me on the Canada Square Yonge & Eglinton birds, still on the ledge, no fledge yet. More calls from Linda at the Toronto Sheraton watch, two missing fledglings and situation frantic.
Two more calls from Bloor & Islington, downed fledgling limping badly, and not looking well. No longer active. Update on the go from Marion at King Street, young male missing - gone from the ledge and searching. Yellow pages update from Kathy, relayed to me by Marion on yet another call, hatchlings up and down from the nest ledge, never seen all at the same time, so unsure if one or two have actually fledged. Canā€™t tell as never is there two or more hatchlings been seen at the same time.
Arrival at Etobicoke, and search all lower terraces,, no bird found! After 30 minutes of searching with the assistance of Sun Life security, I finally hook up with Kathy and talk to Baylie on the phone. Up to the fifth floor with Kathy, she points out the downed fledgling in the corner of the upper terrace on the east side of the east tower, not looking too active at all. Itā€™s Jupiter, one of the fledglings that was flying so well only days before,,, with strong flights and able to sustain and gain lots of altitude, and able to get back to the roof top and nest ledge!!
Three more telephone calls, Bruce is leaving Yonge & Eglinton nest site to relieve Tracy at William Osler nest site so she can go to CPF raptor centre in Woodbridge to feed our own birds.
Harlequin calls in panic, young hatchling is out of the nest tray on the ledge at the Don Mills nest site and canā€™t get back in. Marion calls with update from King Street nest site downtown, little male hatchling ā€œKenyaā€ is still missing and now all King Street watch crew is very worried! Searching all roof tops in open vents and air cooling pools.

After another 20 minutes of observations from Kathyā€™s office, it is quite obvious that Jupiter will never make any altitude from this position encapsulated on all four sides by hi-rises and tall retaining walls, and only just feet from the ground and busy Bloor Street. After discussing a game plan, rescue is in motion with Kathy and Baylie assisting. Back to security for their assistance through a serious of door ways, internal hallways and finally up the latter and through a roof hatch to the lower terrace area. Across the roof, down another latter and across yet another lover roof elevation and Jupiter is finally spotted. Cell phone rings out with two more incoming calls. Message beeper going,, canā€™t answer these ones at the moment! With Kathy and Baylie on the upper Kingsway on the park terrace (actually lower than Jupiterā€™s position) with towels in hand to distract her, I was able to approach Jupiter from behind and drop the net. Got her!!

Back to security at the Sun life Centre to examine Jupiter for injuries and other obvious signs of trauma. Two more phone calls, phone ringing off the hook and message indicator beeping. Canā€™t answer now, bird in hand - literally! After a very detailed examination, Jupiter checks out just fine and seems to have come to life!! Lots of attitude, alert and very aggressive indeed! Just what we want to see.
Back in the carrier for safe keeping and hold over until release back to the roof under the cover of darkness. Siblings on the roof and canā€™t release Jupiter at the risk of scaring her siblings in a panic flight off the roof into potential harms ways at this early stage of the fledge for them.
Sun life security babysitting Jupiter until I return at dark to release her.. Catch up on telephone messages while I dash across the city in rush hour traffic from Etobicoke to Yonge & Eglinton to check on hatchlings at the Canada Square nest site given Bruceā€™s absence. Birds OK, still on the ledge.

Not quite sue what actually happened that got Jupiter grounded, but likely over confident in her new flight skills, she collided with a window and stunned herself. I am very glad it happened this soon after her first flights, early in the fledge, as the juveniles are slow and usually hit softly the first couple of times.

If they donā€™t experience soft hits and brush ups with the windows in the first week of the fledge when they are usually very slow, a hit with a window in the second week of their flights, usually spells a very fast and hard hit that ends up in far more serious injuries and mortality. Unlike most other birds, peregrines learn by their mistakes and donā€™t repeat them. They learn whet windows are all about if they survive hits with windows early in their lives.

Three more telephone calls, one from OMNR asking if I can run to the Don Mills nest site to obtain copies or photographs of documents they need to be able to proceed with the Don Mills nest site banding tomorrow. No way, tooo much traffic and not enough time to get there before they all leave the office for home.

Security calls from a building across the street from the Yellow Pages nest site telling me a downed hawk looking bird on the ground under a tree and looks badly injured. Holly crap!! No one else is available!! Further detailed conversation and very lengthy call with the caller, its decided that the downed bird is actually a pigeon,, not a raptor at all! Everyone has a peregrine in their back yard donā€™t you know!!

Marion calls from King Street nest site, she reports that have found Kenya,,, he safe on a rooftop and although much lower than the nest ledge, he has some altitude and in a safe spot.
Back to Bloor and Islington to the Sun Life nest site by 9:15 pm and Jupiter is examined one last time for any signs of trauma or injuries just to make sure she is OK before she is released. Every thing is good. Up to the roof of the nest building under the cover of darkness, where MOM is waiting. Boy is she not so happy with my presence!!! A quick release of Jupiter and Iā€™m ducking and dodging to get back to the roof hatch and get out of her wayā€¦quickly!!
On the road again on route downtown to the King Street nest site to pick up Marion and try to get home. Cell phone rings again,, itā€™s now 10:30 pm,, Tracy update me as to her fledglingā€™s release and everything went well.

Home by 11pm, eat quick, and start updates and web postings. Its now 1:58 in the morning and I canā€™t stay awake any longer. Most of the 12 postings and my own report has been done.
Banding at the Don Mills nest site tomorrow and back in th field on the fledge watches.
By the end of July, most of us will be part of the walking dead club, suffering from ā€œfalcon neckā€ as we say. Itā€™s an annual ailment that comes and goes at this time of the year during the fledge watches.
Just another typical day and usual happenings on the fledge watches.
Stay tunedā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.
Jupiter

phew wow bang head What a day and what a fine job they are doing over there.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: 21-Jun-11, 07:00:09 AM »

wow

-John Burroughs
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: 21-Jun-11, 07:58:13 AM »

ditto wow wow Amazing day Mark had.   I hope all are safe!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: 22-Jun-11, 06:25:12 AM »

!!! Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!!
June 22, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

I received some FANTASTIC news via Mark Nash in my inbox this morning!!   He received an email from Barb Baldinger, a peregrine falcon volunteer from MNDR in SE Michigan, asking for help in identifying a female with black bands 83 over X!    She is our Screech, born to Angel and Jack in 2008!  She was loud and proud and weighed almost 1000 grams at banding. 

Barb informs us that she and a male named Zeus (Hatched 2009 at LTV Steel in Cleveland, Ohio; black/red 73/B) have fledged three young from a nest box on the tower of the AT&T Building in Pontiac, MI.

I am thrilled beyond measure!  Thank you so much Barb for passing this news on to us!

~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #509 on: 22-Jun-11, 10:08:22 PM »

And Barb is the wonderful rescuer of our BB at UB when BB made a pre-mature fledge in Detroit.  She carried BB up the 14th floor nestsite of an apartment building.   clap

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: