THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 09:32:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009645 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: 10-Jul-11, 08:21:23 PM »

Kudos to Mark, the OMNR, the OPG, the CPF, the NPCP, the Rock Climbers (RC?), and the RFW!  May we know the ID of the banded resident adult at Niagara Falls?

!!! Additional Niagara Photos - Banding July 9th - 2011
July 08, 2011 - Niagara Falls
Mark Nash Reports:

All photos by Mark Nash of the Canadian Peregrine Foundation.

Photos showing that there is a new resident female, banded with a Black 42 over a Red H, indicating that the resident adult female is still “Diamond“,,,, a 2009 bird, produced in Canton Ohio.
Posted on July 10, 2011 3:56 pm

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: 10-Jul-11, 08:24:58 PM »

!!! Banding Success - Two healthy female hatchlings & the Resident adult identified via leg band!
July 08, 2011 - Niagara Falls
Mark Nash Reports:
A huge success today with two healthy hatchlings banded, a new nest tray installed with lots of nest substrate, hatchlings moved from the window ledge to the new nest (old nest cavity), and both parents attending the chicks!!

So, does anyone know-or know someone to ask-why the scrape was moved?  It was in a window so I suspect there was access into the "building", such as it is, or other hazard.  Just wondering...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #572 on: 10-Jul-11, 10:45:36 PM »

clap
Great day!   To the CPF, and  RFW (aka Falcon Flakes, ROC watchers)    -- good job!

Good job by all!
 notworthy  
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: 11-Jul-11, 06:01:30 AM »

!!! Update on Lady GaGa
July 10, 2011 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Marion Nash Reports:

First reports of lady GaGa’s leg fracture repair were very good and we all felt quite hopeful that she would heal well and be able to return to her family quickly.

It was then just a matter of where she would be housed and cared for during her short recovery.

After discussing this with the Ministry it was decided to bring her to the CPF Raptor centre in Vaughan where she would receive round the clock care for the weekend until a final decision and direction from the OMNR could be made on Monday.

As always all raptors rescued and retrieved by CPF who have sustained injury are taken to the CPF’s Avian vet Dr Markus Luckwaldt at the Amhurst Veterinary Hospital who has extensive experience with raptors for further examinations.

Dennis and Gwen CPF’s chapter coordinators made the long drive up to meet us at Dr. Luckwaldt’s office in Scarborough where she could be further examined to make shure there are no other unseen/unknown illness or injury we would need to be aware off while in our care and to make a post operative examination of her leg.

The doctor decided to take full ex-rays of her wings to make sure there were no other breaks or small fractures there that could not be seen, then examine the rest of the body and if clear of any other injuries proceed with a prescription of broad spectrum antibiotic for further treatment during her healing period.

The leg post operative ex-ray was very good well done for sure it showed the pins that were placed in the fracture of the Tibia Tarces just below the knee. Unfortunately the wing ex-rays gave us some truly bad news . Lady GaGa had 3 other bad fractures on both wings called trypod fractures one in the right coracoid this bone was also dislocated the other fracture was in the clavical on the left wing the prognoses for repair was not good.

Sadly it was deemed that the surgery required could never repair the damage well enough for survival in the wild and one of the fractures so bad as to actually be inoperable.

Her medical reports will be given to the Ministry on Monday where we will await their recommendation and final decision.

She is being well taken care of and is bandaged up to support her wings, she was tube fed since she can’t eat on her own, hydrated and given pain medications by Dr Luckwaldt. She is resting well in a cool quiet pen of her own at our centre under the watchful eye of our raptor centre manager Momma Tracy.

We want to thank both Dennis and Gwen the CPF’s Windsor chapter coordinators and the Falcon Watch Teem for the fast action and tremendous support given to Lady GaGa and her family. We would also like to thank Dr. H.J Sweetman of the Downtown Veterinarian Hospital who came to her aid so quickly. What a wonderful extended family the Windsor Peregrine’s have of which we are so proud to be a part of. You are all heros and we salute you for all you have done.

When I think back over the years on all that has been done I recall lessons of humanity and past battles that were won, but for this one family there is still more to do so onward into battle go the mighty few. Keep up the fight Windsor and Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Look for further updates.

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #574 on: 11-Jul-11, 07:19:11 AM »

Oh my re Lady Gaga! Fingers crossed she could become a welcome ambassador for all PeFas... I am so on tenterhooks...

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: 11-Jul-11, 09:20:32 AM »

Sad Poor little lady!  pray

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: 11-Jul-11, 09:39:28 AM »

Poor little one!!!! 

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: 11-Jul-11, 05:55:06 PM »

"A huge thank you to the Rochester group - (now nick-named the RFW,, - (the Regional Falcon watchers) who travelled from Rochester New York to Niagara Falls, Buffalo New York to provide the valuable observations from the Niagara Falls New York side of the falls,,,, that were able to visually confirm that both parents were in attendance and were already involved in feeding the hatchlings in the new nest cavity."

Who are the Regional Falcon Watchers and where are they from?   confused  tease

I personally like Rochester Falcon Watchers, since that's where we're homebased.  We're just in travel mode, since we don't have any fledges to watch.  

Dana and I were planning on going to Buffalo early Saturday morning.  I received an email from Sage (in Buffalo) Friday evening about the nest location being changed after the two eyases were banded at Niagara Falls.  They were very worried that the adults were not attending to the young ones.  Dana and I decided to make that our first stop Saturday morning.

We arrived at Terrapin Point on Goat Island around 9 am.  This gave us a direct view across the Niagara River at the scrape.  Sage and Roger were already there and had seen an adult deliver food to the new location.  I set up my scope and almost immediately saw the female enter the new scrape and stand in front of the young with her wings, giving them shade.  It was really sunny and very warm.  Sage and Roger left and Dana and continued to watch for a couple hours.  In that time, we saw two feedings and a food transfer from the tiercel to the female.  Both adults flew back and forth, while the eyases either dozed or moved around like little white fuzzy godzillas!  They are at that very cute, ackward stage.  No pin feathers yet that we could see.  This will be a very late fledge.

All was well and I contacted Mark Nash by text to let him know.

Carol P.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: 11-Jul-11, 07:01:10 PM »

!!! A hard story to tell
July 11, 2011 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Marion Nash Reports:

This morning we contacted the OMNR office to discuss Lady Gaga and what was to be done now.

With heavy hearts we are sorry to say she was humanely euthanised today at the vet clinic. I was with her until she Peacefully went to sleep for good.

I know in my heart it was the right desision and this poor little girl is now at peace.

If you see any of our Fledge Watch Team as you drive by honk your horn or give a wave to these folks who are out there looking after your Peregrine family I know they would appreciate it very much.
Posted on July 11, 2011 6:03 pm
Observation for Windsor - Ambassador Bridge

Fly free, Lady Gaga! We've lost far too many this year... crying

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: 11-Jul-11, 07:05:10 PM »

Fly free, little one crying

And bless your heart, Marion, for staying with this little one so she could be surrounded by loving care to the end

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: 11-Jul-11, 07:09:16 PM »

crying What a most difficult year for falcons and the humans who love them!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: 11-Jul-11, 07:25:54 PM »

Poor little girl  crying crying
grannywood
Eyas

Like Count: 32

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: 11-Jul-11, 07:27:00 PM »

Dana and I were planning on going to Buffalo early Saturday morning.  I received an email from Sage (in Buffalo) Friday evening about the nest location being changed after the two eyases were banded at Niagara Falls.  They were very worried that the adults were not attending to the young ones.  Dana and I decided to make that our first stop Saturday morning.

Carol P.

Here is a album of some pictures which I took during our Saturday morning watch at Niagara Falls.
Hope you enjoy !

http://tinyurl.com/5tpnyqs

Dana

Dana
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: 11-Jul-11, 07:51:32 PM »

Fly free, little one crying

And bless your heart, Marion, for staying with this little one so she could be surrounded by loving care to the end

I'm also glad that she was surrounded by caring people at the end.  A very tough decision but definitely the right one.  Fly free, Lady Gaga.  Cry

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: 11-Jul-11, 10:23:31 PM »

Fly Free Lady Gaga.  You won't be alone.  Too many went before you.   Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: