THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 05:20:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009462 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: 12-Feb-12, 05:36:37 PM »

Looking through the archives just now for something else, I happened upon this article on Pounce-Kingsley and Victoria that I thought you might all enjoy and might answer some questions you've been asking here.  Please enjoy and ..oh...there is a mention of Cabot-Sirocco at the end as well..small world isn't it  handshake

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/talontales/ttprofile.html

Excellent!

I guess we'll never know how Ponce became Pounce, but there you have it!

Didn't know he was hatched at the Raptor Trust...need to fix that-hatched SD, hacked Akron OH...check.  Thank you!
« Last Edit: 12-Feb-12, 05:44:26 PM by Dumpsterkitty » Logged

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: 12-Feb-12, 06:03:19 PM »

What a great read and I'm still! Thanks!!

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: 12-Feb-12, 06:35:43 PM »

Great article on Pounce-Kingsley! Thank you!
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: 12-Feb-12, 07:32:06 PM »

I have this information from 1999 (from the Kodak Birdcam):

On June 30th, there was much excitement when Sirocco’s band was read for the first time.  It was soon discovered that Sirocco originated from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.  He had been named Cabot by the Canadian Peregrine Foundation, because he fledged on the 500th anniversary of explorer John Cabot’s arrival in Newfoundland.  Cabot was the son of Toronto’s famous Victoria & Pounce-Kingsley.  In honor of his Canadian/American heritage, Sirocco’s name was changed to Cabot-Sirocco.  Coincidentally, Pounce-Kingsley was named Kingsley before he was identified as a US bird.  Pounce was added in honor of Ponce DeLeon and America.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Windwolves
Pipping

Like Count: 6

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: 12-Feb-12, 08:33:02 PM »

Dumpsterkitty was correct earlier, Chantal IS still going at the Market Tower.  Too early and not enough coffee  ???  ( I was a little thrown by the Kathy Q. Kinda like the Mandy / Erin thing )  She took over that site in 2002 and has raised 35 chicks to date with Kinney.  Ponce Kingsley was "Ponce" for Ponce de Leon and it became Pounce in large part because of his mannerisms.   
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #755 on: 12-Feb-12, 08:50:27 PM »

Dumpsterkitty was correct earlier, Chantal IS still going at the Market Tower.  Too early and not enough coffee  ???  ( I was a little thrown by the Kathy Q. Kinda like the Mandy / Erin thing )  She took over that site in 2002 and has raised 35 chicks to date with Kinney.  Ponce Kingsley was "Ponce" for Ponce de Leon and it became Pounce in large part because of his mannerisms.   

I have not found anyone who can figure out why Chantal is called Kathy Q by everyone in Indy even though her "given" name is known.  Probably just consistency-I don't know how long it took to positively ID her.  But it is what it is. 

It sounds like Pounce-Kingsley was quite the character!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: 12-Feb-12, 09:20:26 PM »

Thanks Windwolves.  Did Ponce Pounce on you? devil

Peregrines know no borders.....
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: 12-Feb-12, 09:29:58 PM »

I have not found anyone who can figure out why Chantal is called Kathy Q by everyone in Indy even though her "given" name is known.  Probably just consistency-I don't know how long it took to positively ID her.  But it is what it is. 

Ask and you shall receive, from Gigi who knows them well and posted Kathy Q and Kinney's histories awhile back on BCAW :

If you haven’t already heard this story, I’ll explain how KathyQ, a.k.a. Chantal, came to be known as KathyQ in Indianapolis. If you have heard it, please bear with me.

When she arrived on the Indy falcon scene in 2002, she didn’t arrive without causing consternation among the Peregrine Patrol. We had already identified Scout, Kinney’s first mate, in the nestbox at the beginning of the year when courting and mating generally begins. We even think Scout may have laid the eggs that year but shortly after they were laid, we no longer were able to identify her. A new bird was visible in the nestbox and obviously settling in to stay. Kinney was still around; the new unidentified female was there, but no Scout.

We couldn’t get a good read on the bands on the new girl in town so we began to call her KathyQ in honor of Kathy Quimbach, a DNR employee who worked closely with the falcon volunteers and was tireless and passionate in her devotion to Indiana’s endangered wildlife. She had passed away unexpectedly in 2001 and we wanted to honor her memory. That name was so ingrained with the Peregrine Patrol that by the time the female was positively identified as Chantal in late May 2002, we just kept calling her KathyQ.

Original post here if you want to check it out. http://www.peregrinefalcon-bcaw.net/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=201&hilit=kathy+q+chantal
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: 12-Feb-12, 10:04:12 PM »

That was a nice story, thanks Carly!

Windwolves
Pipping

Like Count: 6

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: 12-Feb-12, 11:24:19 PM »

Very nice story about the name "Kathy Q".  I've always thought of her as Chantal and had completely forgotten about that name.  It's nice to hear the origins of some of the names the birds have.  I can't say that Ponce Kingsley ever "pounced" on me but his final brood sure did.  They were a racous five for sure!  Majesty is still in Michigan with Barry at the UM Northbank Center and is the last of the five that remain. 
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: 13-Feb-12, 07:28:04 AM »

! A daughter and father thing!
February 11, 2012 - Brampton - Courthouse

CPF Postmaster Reports:

Saturday Feb 11th
Saturday Feb 11th found Courtney hanging out uptown with dad again. On the BDC building right beside the Famous Rose Theater.. sitting in the sun on the lee side out of the wind all afternoon.
Toivo

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/02/sightings/a-daughter-and-father-thing/ pics here

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: 13-Feb-12, 08:03:49 AM »

Ask and you shall receive, from Gigi who knows them well and posted Kathy Q and Kinney's histories awhile back on BCAW :

That name was so ingrained with the Peregrine Patrol that by the time the female was positively identified as Chantal in late May 2002, we just kept calling her KathyQ.

Thanks!  I never remember to check BCAW.  For some reason I've never even signed up there.  One more thing for the to-do list!  

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: 15-Feb-12, 10:45:11 AM »

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/02/sightings/peregrines-on-ice/ Peregrines on Ice   pics

!!! Takeout on Ledge 2!
February 13, 2012 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

Kathy Reports:

After a  cold and snowy weekend, we returned to milder conditions and sunshine today.

Angel was basking in the sun as usual early morning and then around 11 am, Jack flew in with some lunch for her.  There was a lot of chupping and fancy flying and he left his present on ledge 2 for her and she flew over to indulge while he took her place on the cam.

I’ve also had a report that he’s been exhibiting courtship behaviors with TR Mom at his other site.

Peregrine Spotted @ Niagara Falls
February 12, 2012 - Niagara Falls

Frank Butson Reports:

Recently Jean and Bob Hampson visited Niagara Falls. While there they spotted a Peregrine Falcon Bob wrote:

â€ťJean spotted it first as it flew down river. It then landed on a shed on the
roof of the hydro building. It remained there for a short period of time. We did
not see it fly away but it returned when we were closer to the shed.We believe it uses this shed as a roost quite often. We spotted it in the
same spot in January of 2011. We’ll inform you of any future Peregrine Falcon sightings we have in the
Niagara Region.”

Thanks Bob and Jean,we look forward to future reports. Bob and Jean sent us along the photos below, that give an idea of where the Peregrine roosts.

Best Regards,Bob & Jean

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/02/sightings/peregrine-spotted-niagara-falls/ pics

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #763 on: 15-Feb-12, 01:39:45 PM »

Thank you one and all for the update!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: 17-Feb-12, 08:13:36 PM »

Lady Gaga returns to Windsor

The peregrine falcon with the pop star name has been stuffed and is now on display at the Ojibway Nature Centre. Windsor’s Lady Gaga captured headlines in a heartbreaking drama last year when volunteers rescued the fledgling three times under the Ambassador Bridge and local vets performed a tricky surgery on her broken leg only to find out wing fractures meant she had to be euthanized.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Lady+Gaga+returns+Windsor/6171611/story.html Story and video

So sad!

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: