THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 01:37:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009414 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #765 on: 17-Feb-12, 08:19:25 PM »

Pretty girl! Too bad tho!!!  Sad

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: 17-Feb-12, 08:32:24 PM »

Sigh.  She sure is beautiful

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #767 on: 18-Feb-12, 07:57:23 PM »

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Stuffing+falcon+Lady+Gaga+takes+sting+death/6173708/story.html

Stuffing of falcon Lady Gaga 'takes sting out of her death'

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: 19-Feb-12, 08:08:28 AM »

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/02/sightings/adults-are-active/ pics here

Adults are Active!
February 15, 2012 - Port Colborne - ADM Mill

Doug Garbutt Reports:

Just a note to say that the resident pair of falcons here have not left for the winter (if you want to call it a winter) and are becoming more active. For the most part, they have not spent a whole lot of time in the nest box but the last couple of weeks they have been in it quite alot. They can be seen every day now scraping & exhibiting courtship behaviour. I think the mild weather has got the hormones going.

I also recently discovered that there are a pair of Bald Eagles with a nest on the outskirts of town. I went to the said location and sure enough there they were, nest & all. There were also about 10 or 15 bluebirds hanging around the area. I never knew that they hung around during the winter. Unfortunately I don’t have recent pics of the falcons but I do of the Eagles & Bluebird.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: 20-Feb-12, 08:58:08 AM »

!!! Family Day at the New Ojibway Nature Center
February 19, 2012 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge

Dennis Patrick Reports:

What a wonderful day, we spent the day at the New Ojibway Nature Center where we talked to a lot of people about the Peregrine Falcons on the Ambassador Bridge. As you know we lost Lady Gaga last year due to serious injuries. We got permission from the MNR to have her stuffed and then we donated her to the New Ojibway Nature Center where she now resides. If anyone would like to see her there please feel free to stop by and pay the center a visit. Both Freddie and Voltaire are still hanging around the Bridge and are getting very chummy again so watch for the courtshop to start at anytime now. With the new nest tray we’re hoping to have four chicks this year. With these wonderful creatures we can only hope for the best.
A special thanks to everyone who stopped in at the New Nature Center today to see the Lady Gaga display.
Dennis and Gwen
CPF

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: 20-Feb-12, 01:02:39 PM »

Resident Male and Rogue Female On Site at MEC
February 19, 2012 - Mississauga - Executive Centre

Tracy Simpson Reports:

I stopped in at the MEC site today for a quick check in on the adult pair.  Both were sitting on the Dejardins sign on MEC 3 in the sun relaxing; the male on the E and the female on the N.  The female gave me a quick look at her legs and she is still the unbanded female that took over this site a few months ago.  The male looks very comfortable with her now and she has relaxed a great deal as well.  There is still lots of spring left to go and migrants returning to contend with before this pair stabilizes and becomes the new residents on site but for now, Eternity and Rogue are the present pair at MEC and are very much in charge.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/02/sightings/resident-male-and-rogue-female-on-site-at-mec/ pics

O’Connor and Hurricane at William Osler Today
February 19, 2012 - Etobicoke - William Osler

Tracy Simpson Reports:

Stopped in at the William Osler Hospital for a check in today and had both adults at separate times on the south facing “H” sign enjoying the afternoon sun.  First was the big girl, O’Connor, just before noon preening away the afternoon.  By 2:00pm, Hurricane had returned from a foray and had taken up position on the “H” sign as well but by this time, O’Connor was out and about on her own hunt.  It was nice to see the two of them back at the site so regularly now.  With spring like weather and the day length getting longer, the nesting season will be upon us fast.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/02/sightings/oconnor-and-hurricane-at-william-osler-today/ pics

BIGFRANK
« Reply #771 on: 20-Feb-12, 01:22:52 PM »

We enjoyed popping in for a quick look and photos. Each visit we do our best to ID the birds positively. Tracy has a little Nikon P500 with a really strong zoom,making some ID shots possible. Im going to get one soon as they are reasonably cheap relative to expensive DSLRs with big honkin lenses!
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #772 on: 20-Feb-12, 04:52:09 PM »

Yesterday (Sunday 2/19/12)

Kathy O, Lisa, Dana and I saw Linn and Rueben sitting on the Yellow Pages building yesterday.  Both sitting in the sun.  It was wonderful seeing them.   clap

Peregrines know no borders.....
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: 20-Feb-12, 04:57:54 PM »

Kathy O, Lisa, Dana and I saw Linn and Rueben sitting on the Yellow Pages building yesterday.  Both sitting in the sun.  It was wonderful seeing them.   clap

Awesome!!!!!!!!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: 20-Feb-12, 05:13:38 PM »

Kathy O, Lisa, Dana and I saw Linn and Rueben sitting on the Yellow Pages building yesterday.  Both sitting in the sun.  It was wonderful seeing them.   clap

Sounds like you all had a great trip!  Any pictures?
« Last Edit: 20-Feb-12, 05:44:40 PM by Dumpsterkitty » Logged

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #775 on: 20-Feb-12, 05:36:10 PM »

Ahhh Linn!  heart

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: 20-Feb-12, 10:26:19 PM »

Kathy O, Lisa, Dana and I saw Linn and Rueben sitting on the Yellow Pages building yesterday.  Both sitting in the sun.  It was wonderful seeing them.   clap

Why of course Ei!   happy  Now to find the time to go through them all.   lol

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: 21-Feb-12, 06:58:36 AM »

Why of course Ei!   happy  Now to find the time to go through them all.   lol

I hear you!  I'm very patient, you know!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #778 on: 23-Feb-12, 06:08:17 AM »

!!! Battle Royale for Resident Female

February 17, 2012 - Port Colborne - ADM Mill
Doug Garbutt Reports:

Today as I was leaving work at 3:30 pm I glanced at our monitor in the lunch room & noticed there were 3 adult falcons bent down facing each other squawking (1 female, 2 males). This went on for a few minutes until Trillium (our resident female) sort of backed away & the 2 males got aggressive towards each other. I’m not sure which one, but I think the resident male Buffalo Bill 68 over R chased the intruding male from the box. We thought the confrontation was over however the intruder returned. The tiercels then went at each other locking talons & pecking viciously at each other with their beaks. During the conflict, one of the birds got a talon hooked into the band of the other & they could not free themselves. The circumstance accelerated the animosity towards each other and they got even more aggressive. This went on for what seemed to be a very long time (I’m guessing 5 minutes). All the time pecking at each other. At one point, they made their way perilously close to the edge of the nest box with a sheer drop of  at least 150 feet! Thankfully they did not go over the edge. The birds were becoming exhausted & at one point we thought that one was dead or severely injured as it was flat on it’s back with the other pecking at it. The bird somehow got back up and as if a miracle the talon became free and he fled the box. This was a little too much action for me because I thought that perhaps there could be serious injury to Buffalo Bill. I’m pretty sure that he was the victor but I haven’t positively ID’d him since. I think he’s OK though because the following day there were 2 falcons in the nest box for most of the day (but I couldn’t see the band colour). I’m pretty sure it’s Buffalo Bill.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: 23-Feb-12, 06:14:53 AM »

scared blue How terrible! I could never watch that. I hope BOTH are OK. Thanks Carly.  Sad

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: