THE FORUM

07-Sep-24, 10:50:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1078607 times)
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: 24-Oct-12, 09:35:53 PM »

And three out of four chances he's related to Windwhistler too since he's Tiago and Kendal's dad as well as Grayor's dad.

He's got his bases covered  Cool
ding ding ding winner of the gene pool I'd say. (Mariah, Kaver, Windhistler way cool)
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: 24-Oct-12, 10:26:42 PM »

You gals know your falcon family trees better than I know my own family tree! 
 Cheesy
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: 27-Oct-12, 08:28:32 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4316165095146

LOL, check out Oscar the peregrine at CPF taking a bath. He's playing with a leaf!   heart devil

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: 27-Oct-12, 11:56:05 AM »

That was too cute Donna!   2thumbsup
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: 02-Nov-12, 08:54:33 AM »

Turf Wars in Brampton, Here We Go Again!!
November 01, 2012 - Brampton - Courthouse

Tracy Simpson Reports:

I started out my day presenting Project School Visit at Central Peel S.S. speaking to an awesome class of grade 12 students and once done, decided I was so close to downtown Brampton I should check out Milton and his lady friend.  This was one bizarre day.

It started off with finding Milton on his own on George St. on the top ledge of the condo he frequents.  He was joined 10 minutes later by a female in full adult plumage who landed at the other end of the ledge and started to peck around for a bite to eat.  Milton had already eaten his fair share and then some as his crop could be seen from space!!  I continued to watch for a while and the pair settled in, after some ee-chupping and chit chat, into a relaxed roost and nap mode.  I left George St. to head down to the courthouse for a bit of recon there and didn’t find any peregrines in the area at all.  I scanned all of the buildings and each side of the courthouse but came up empty.  Back to George St. I went.

When I got there the mood had changed significantly.  The pair were now sitting on a low roof together and both were looking off towards the Go station.  I tried to focus in on the female to see if this was in fact our unbanded subadult now all grown up but she was too far into the ledge for a look at her legs.  Milton then took off towards the north and the female followed him.  I drove up to Railroad St. for a look at where they might of gone and found the female again on a low roof.  In the rain my camera struggled to focus through the raindrops but I managed to get a few shots of her.  In one picture, she was just about to take off and lo and behold, a band!  This adult female was wearing a purple USFW band that can clearly be seen in the photograph.  This meant that this was not the subadult that Milton had hung out with all summer nor was it Truss who was not located this season.  This was a new girl on the block.  She took off and flew low over me and landed in a tree to my right.  Once in the tree, she proceed to walk down the trunk towards an extremely shocked little squirrel.  She was going right at it!!  Now, I know only one famous squirrel hunter and I hope she was at Etobicoke Sun Life today behaving herself.  I took a few shots but in my flu addled brain, I couldn’t get focussed and on her fast enough to get her band number.  Of course it was hidden behind a branch.  She took off and landed on a hydro pole a few meters away and I was about to pursue when a local resident came out to ask what I was up to.  He assured me that Chester, his squirrel in the tree, would be fine and not to worry about this female peregrine stalking him.  Back to the tree she comes for another go at Chester the squirrel.  She didn’t stay long and was off like a shot out to the north and over the Go tracks.

Once out of the tree and out in the open, she was met in the air by another female.  The two of them went at it in a spectacular aerial dog fight that brought them back into the downtown core.  I changed positions for a better look and found Milton on the Rose Theatre preening away and letting the girls sort their stuff out.  The combatants split up and one of them landed on the roof of the theatre with Milton but again, too far back onto the ledge for a look at legs.  She was back into the air in moments and once again, the battle was on.  She found the other female and the two went at it again, diving and chasing one another just above the rooftops in downtown Brampton.  Milton just stayed and chilled out.

After I lost sight of them I decided that I would have to come back when the weather breaks and I can see much more clearly.  The adults are hanging low enough that band numbers can be read if their position is right so I will be back for more.  This spring like weather has everyone all a flutter and I am not surprised to see this spit spat this late into the year.  Its not as serious as it will become next spring but there was no doubt that these two females weren’t playing around.  This banded female could certainly be a migrant moving through but I don’t believe so.  She was not taking any hints about leaving and was fighting to stay so I think this lady is sticking around.  As I was driving away, a single female had taken up the chase of a flock of pigeons and was after some lunch.  I will be back again soon for another attempt at identifying just who the players are and which one has Milton’s attention.  I apologize for the grainy photos but light was bad and it was raining.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/11/sightings/turf-wars-in-brampton-here-we-go-again/ Pics

Hurricane and Chessie at William Osler Hanging Out
November 01, 2012 - Etobicoke - William Osler

Tracy Simpson Reports:

On my way back from Brampton yesterday, I thought I’d stop in and check up on Hurricane and Chessie after the blast of wind we had the other day.  Hurricane was in his favourite spot on the eastern “H” sign doing his favourite thing, sleeping.  The light rain that was falling didn’t bother him a bit.  Chessie opted to stay drier and was on the edge of the nest tray preening the day away.  My how she has grown up.  With a good majority of her adult feathers in now, she looks fabulous!  She spent the afternoon taking care of her new outfit and Hurricane finally decided that the rain was interrupting his napping and he took off for the nest ledge.  He landed on the southeast corner and moved a little south down the ledge to where the kids at this site always sleep.  Maybe a bit of empty nest syndrome for Hurricane!!  In talking with staff at the hospital, Tobi and Ossie, the young of this season may a reappearance about a month ago before taking off south.  As usual, they were playing aerial rugby tag with one another and creating quite a ruckus.  Kids!!

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/11/sightings/hurricane-and-chessie-at-william-osler-hanging-out/ pics

« Last Edit: 02-Nov-12, 09:04:53 AM by Donna » Logged

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: 02-Nov-12, 10:29:46 AM »

DC's brother is safe and accounted for after the storm  thumbsup

Check Up at the Burlington Lift Bridge
October 31, 2012 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Tracy Simpson Reports:

On Wednesday as I made my way back from Fort Erie, I decided to stop in at the lift bridge and see how Cirrus and MacKenzie handled the rainy days of Sandy. I found Cirrus in the hydro tower on the Hamilton side digesting a huge crop! It was great to see her. I set my sights to spotting MacK when all of a sudden, they both burst out of the hydro tower and were on the attack. Attacking what I am not sure as whatever it was, it was tucked in under the Skyway and out of my sights. Moments later they both landed by the nest box on the bridge cables but MacK wasn’t to stay there long. He was off again screaming like the wind and swooping the same spot on the bridge. I tried to locate what it was that was so offensive but to no avail. MacK gave up the attack after a few dives and headed off on a mission to Burlington. Within 5 minutes, he was back in the Hamilton hydro tower looking really ticked off. Before I left he had settled into a peregrine version of calm and Cirrus stayed firmly plunked down on the cabling. Great to see the pair at home!!

« Last Edit: 02-Nov-12, 10:54:18 AM by carly » Logged
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: 02-Nov-12, 02:04:06 PM »

Tracy Simpson Reports:

On Wednesday as I made my way back from Fort Erie, I decided to stop in at the lift bridge and see how Cirrus and MacKenzie handled the rainy days of Sandy. I found Cirrus in the hydro tower on the Hamilton side digesting a huge crop! It was great to see her. I set my sights to spotting MacK when all of a sudden, they both burst out of the hydro tower and were on the attack. Attacking what I am not sure as whatever it was, it was tucked in under the Skyway and out of my sights. Moments later they both landed by the nest box on the bridge cables but MacK wasn’t to stay there long. He was off again screaming like the wind and swooping the same spot on the bridge. I tried to locate what it was that was so offensive but to no avail. MacK gave up the attack after a few dives and headed off on a mission to Burlington. Within 5 minutes, he was back in the Hamilton hydro tower looking really ticked off. Before I left he had settled into a peregrine version of calm and Cirrus stayed firmly plunked down on the cabling. Great to see the pair at home!!

He's Dot's brother? Sheesh! I am going to need to sit down with you for the full family tree this winter!

And I'm going to need Madame X & Surge now with Diamante & Glieg...I'll be a busy winter!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: 02-Nov-12, 02:43:18 PM »

Mackenzie is DC's full brother from 2009, so he's 1 year older.   devil

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: 03-Nov-12, 11:14:05 PM »

!!! Inturder Alert!
November 02, 2012 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

Kathy Reports:

I have not seen Jack since before the storm, not unusual given he’s split between two sites however O’Connor has being acting strangely this week and perching on areas she doesn’t normally perch on.

Reading Tracy’s report this morning about a territorial battle in Brampton though may explain the adult female interloper in our territory here yesterday.  O’Connor was on the web cam facing south when I went out to check out on her yesterday morning at 7 am.  At the same time as I was facing east I clearly saw a large female falcon fly over the subway area at Bloor Islington heading for the apartment buildings there.

My first thought was phew as I glanced at O’Connor thinking it was great as the other female was out of her line of sight and hopefully she was just passing through.  I headed inside and into a meeting when I heard the clear sound of a kacking and unfortunately couldn’t leave to go to a window to see what was going on.

I checked several times later on and no sign of any falcons but I did see O’Connor before I left the office later in the afternoon.  I can’t say for sure that she ran into the other female but that was my first thought upon reading the Brampton report this morning.  This intruding female was flying quite low, not high up the way they usually do when they are just ‘passing through’.

!!! Freddie on the “A”
November 03, 2012 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge

Dennis Patrick Reports:

This afternoon we drove down by the River, looking for the pair that has been spotted on the letters of the building but no sign of any Peregrine. We then went to the Bridge, nothing there so we waited for a few minutes and Freddie flew in and landed on the first A of Ambassador. Since the report of the sighting of General Brock in Detroit we are thinking maybe the other three are on their way as well. We’ll keep you updated on any sights we have of the Peregrines here in Windsor.
Gwen & Dennis, Site Co-ordinators CPF

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: 04-Nov-12, 05:25:16 AM »

Who is the famous squirrel chaser?  Embarrassed
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: 04-Nov-12, 02:56:35 PM »

Who is the famous squirrel chaser?  Embarrassed

Bird Crazy, I believe that is O'Connor!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: 04-Nov-12, 06:24:17 PM »

Thanks MAK
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: 04-Nov-12, 06:39:40 PM »

Tracy Simpson Reports:

A few of us from Rochester were there earlier this year and saw the same exact behavior from this pair.  After much moving around we were able to see what had the pair on the attack.  There was a Red-tail Hawk tucked in tight underneath the bridge.  Hard for us to see, but not the falcons.  Sounds like the same thing happened while Tracy was there.

Peregrines know no borders.....
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: 11-Nov-12, 04:22:04 PM »

Where is DC...maybe a clue from his father!  He might have a secret roosting spot away from both females..  

Long story short, due to some weird stuff going on at our site (Etobicoke) site and Jack being MIA for over a week until Thursday - today Tracy and I spent the day at our site and followed him and found his secret spot - no clue he roosted there but was quite obvious from the falcon poo down the wall that he's been there awhile.  Total shock to both of us.

All this time we assumed he was always heading north to his other site..he's been sneaking off to his bachelor pad. And that fits with reports of a 'falcon' being spotted there, they thought female but he's so big...now we know it's been him all this time.  

Tracy is going to do a report with photos later but wow..what an interesting day and discovery!
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: 11-Nov-12, 04:40:14 PM »

Where is DC...maybe a clue from his father!  He might have a secret roosting spot away from both females..  

Long story short, due to some weird stuff going on at our site (Etobicoke) site and Jack being MIA for over a week until Thursday - today Tracy and I spent the day at our site and followed him and found his secret spot - no clue he roosted there but was quite obvious from the falcon poo down the wall that he's been there awhile.  Total shock to both of us.

All this time we assumed he was always heading north to his other site..he's been sneaking off to his bachelor pad. And that fits with reports of a 'falcon' being spotted there, they thought female but he's so big...now we know it's been him all this time.  

Tracy is going to do a report with photos later but wow..what an interesting day and discovery!

Glad you located Jack, Carly.  All the tiercels here have been migrators so maybe DC isn't any different but it's really late in the season for him to migrate, isn't it?

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: