THE FORUM

07-Sep-24, 10:44:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1078588 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: 11-Nov-12, 04:43:56 PM »

It is late to migrate but not to vacation.  Lil Dad in Harrisburg and Rocky in Ohio both go away this time of year of later for a month or so ..so not unheard of but no one knows where they go.  I guess it would be like Quest ..remember last winter when her tracker put her back at locations she was spotted in her first year?  He might just need to recharge his batteries or he's around and just laying low.

I can't tell how shocked I am to find Jack a few blocks from us at another location!  I guess with two females, sometimes a tiercel just needs his own space  laugh

And the funny thing is, when he first flew off O'connor followed him and he led her in the other direction and then doubled back and flew off to this other block  secret2
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: 11-Nov-12, 04:45:45 PM »

Kendal takes a vaca also, maybe not far but to his man place!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: 11-Nov-12, 04:56:49 PM »

I like that, 'man place'!   lol  devil
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: 11-Nov-12, 05:21:11 PM »

I like that, 'man place'!   lol  devil

It is football season after all

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: 11-Nov-12, 06:14:39 PM »

My guess with Kendal is he goes back near the power plant, where he first met Quest. Good eats up there this time of year.
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: 14-Nov-12, 06:16:35 PM »

From the Canadian Peregrine Foundation: it's good to see Jack and O'Connor together.

Togetherness at Etobicoke Sun Life

November 11, 2012 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

Tracy Simpson Reports:

I met up with Kathy and Bruce at the Etobicoke Sun Life nest site to check in on the resident pair.  A third falcon has been sighted in the area and had O’Connor in a bit of a tizzy ( an understatement ) and we wanted to confirm the identification of the resident pair and that all was well.

When we first arrived, no falcons to be seen.  We searched around the nest building and the other towers but still not a peregrine to be had.  All of a sudden a bird flies in from the west and lands on the nest ledge.  Chup, chup,chup…  …and gone as quick as it came.  Too fast for a look.  We waited around for a return and it wasn’t long before the three of us began to wander about.  Bruce spotted a falcon coming in from the west and landing on the west tower with food.  Looked to be a rather large female.  As we repositioned the bird took off and flew behind the nest building and was somewhere on the Aberfoyle side.  Off we all go to Aberfoyle and when we reached Lomond, Kathy spotted a falcon on the center tower eating.  Bruce met up with us and from his angle, he could see two falcons on the same ledge.

Back in the Lomond TTC parking lot we were able to see the two falcons together on the ledge.  One was eating, the other waiting patiently for a turn.  Sound familiar?  In O’Connor’s way of thinking, ladies always go first.  We gathered up the scopes and were able to confirm that the female was banded Black over Green with a Purple USFW band, the same as O’Connor.  We had to wait for a repositioning of the male for a positive look.  The female flew off to the Moneris sign on the west tower facing northwest and the male took over eating the rest of the pigeon that was caught.

The female was perched on the dot in the I of Moneris and was watching the skies to the northwest.  After finishing his meal, the male flew several circles around the west tower and eventually landed on the lower portion of the S on the same sign.  They sat together for a while and then something triggered O’Connor to take off into the air and fly several circuits around the west tower.  She then landed on the top curve of the S while the male roosted on the bottom of the curve.  It was almost sweet to see the two of them together like this reasserting their bonds.  We were able to get a great look through the scope and confirm that the male is indeed Jack with a three character Black band on his right leg and Silver USFW on the left.  A unique configuration that only a few falcons have as almost all are banded with the recovery band on their left leg.

Jack took the S in Moneris to mean sleep and so he napped away occasionally sharing O’Connors fascination with the northwest.  At times the two looked in that direction together with great intensity and they are absolutely keeping their eyes on something.  As we were leaving for the day, Jack took off to the northwest and did something absolutely bizarre.  He flew over to a nearby apartment building and I watched him swoop up and disappear near the top of the apartment and then reappear.  He repeated this again and then on the third swoop up…  …he just disappeared!!   Kathy and I piled into my car and off we went to check out just where Jack disappeared to.  Lo and behold, here he sat on a ledge no bigger than a slice of cheese in a corner where a concrete balcony met the wall.  Got ya!!  Given the amount of mutes on the wall and the reports Kathy has received from a friend in one of the neighboring buildings, Jack is making this spot his new pad.  A place to hang out where he can be alone with his thoughts!  Given the bonding and closeness that we witnessed today, I would bet those thoughts are of a prosperous spring!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: 14-Nov-12, 10:48:32 PM »

Thank you Alison. Tracy is the best falcon story teller I know! I wonder if Dot.Ca has a special spot away from his women as well. Hmm...   Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: 22-Nov-12, 10:42:56 PM »

http://www.youngcuts.com/2013_repechage

Kris sent this to me...watch it, it's awesome. Scroll down to the right until you get to "Feathered Bullets"! You won't be disappointed.  falcon pfalcon

BIGFRANK
« Reply #1103 on: 22-Nov-12, 11:03:56 PM »

Mark, Marion, Tracy, Bill, Sue and I all went to see the "premiere " of this film at the school, when the students debuted them. There was a real selection of great films. Each had to have someone from their own lives in it I think was the deal. Feathered Bullets was great. I had got a copy of it but wanted to share it. Thanks so much for posting!!
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: 22-Nov-12, 11:14:01 PM »

It's awesome!!!  Mark did a great job as well as this young film maker clap

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 268

View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: 23-Nov-12, 12:14:00 PM »

What a great job!  I hope more living history documentaries like this get made, because the generation of people who worked to reintroduce the Peregrine are not getting any younger. 

Speaking of reintroduction, I felt it appropriate that this was posted on the day the Whooping Cranes of the Class of 2012 arrived at the St. Mark's Wildlife Refuge in Florida at the end of their ultralight aircraft-led migration from Wisconsin.

Paul
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: 23-Nov-12, 12:38:04 PM »

http://www.youngcuts.com/2013_repechage

Kris sent this to me...watch it, it's awesome. Scroll down to the right until you get to "Feathered Bullets"! You won't be disappointed.  falcon pfalcon

Glad you posted this after I sent it to you! I thought it was excellent!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: 23-Nov-12, 12:57:30 PM »

good post  A most excellent video! Mark is a great spokesman for our beloved Peregrine Falcons and I have learned a lot from him with each encounter with him. Thanks Donna and Kris!  thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: 23-Nov-12, 01:00:45 PM »

What a great job!  I hope more living history documentaries like this get made, because the generation of people who worked to reintroduce the Peregrine are not getting any younger. 

Speaking of reintroduction, I felt it appropriate that this was posted on the day the Whooping Cranes of the Class of 2012 arrived at the St. Mark's Wildlife Refuge in Florida at the end of their ultralight aircraft-led migration from Wisconsin.

Paul

That's great to hear!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: 26-Nov-12, 10:45:03 AM »

Tracy has ID'd Milton's new girlfriend!  She is Midnight, born to Maverick and Mystic in 2011 (their last brood together) and she's also Moxie's (the new female in Fort Wayne) full sister.

A bit of a soap opera so hopefully everyone stays safe and some great photos she captured including Midnight beak feeding Milton  Shocked  The way to tiercel's heart may just be through his stomach  devil

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/11/sightings/another-episode-of-as-the-brampton-eyrie-turns/
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: