THE FORUM

07-Sep-24, 10:52:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1078616 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: 26-Nov-12, 11:52:17 AM »

Another Ohioan eh? Wow!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: 26-Nov-12, 02:44:25 PM »

clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: 26-Nov-12, 08:51:28 PM »

Good news!    yes

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: 07-Dec-12, 08:56:10 AM »

!!! A frequent visitor!! Can you help us to ID this peregrine?
December 02, 2012 - International, National and Local News

CPF Postmaster Reports:

December 2nd - 2012

A frequent visitor!! Can you help us to ID this peregrine.
Midwest Road and Midland Ave.,, just one block north of Lawrence Ave East, on Midland Ave. Scarborough Ontario.

With thanks to a Michelle who has alerted us of a very frequent peregrine visitor that has been using the top of a telephone pole as its butcher block over the past several weeks, on a very regular basis. I was able to attend her location several times over the past two weeks and although I was personally not able to catch the mystery peregrine, it was quite obvious that this butcher block is being used quite often.

At the base of the telephone pole (located on the corner of Midwest and Midland Ave,, west side of Midland) there was no less than 5 pigeon heads, lost of other bird body parts and lots of fresh end-trails! The pigeon head count has increased since last week when I attended.

Attached to this posting is a couple of photos that Michelle was able to snap from her smart-phone. While they are long distance shots, they do confirm that her regular feathered raptor visitor is in fact a peregrine falcon.

While still un-identified, the challenge is on to see if her visitor is banded and has a known history! Ok all falcon watchers, who can get a ID on this mystery falcon?

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/12/sightings/a-frequent-visitor-can-you-help-us-to-id-this-peregrine/ pics here

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: 07-Dec-12, 06:23:17 PM »

is this near where Linn is?
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: 11-Dec-12, 08:51:23 AM »

O’Connor Has the Place to Herself
December 09, 2012 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre

Tracy Simpson Reports:

Another site check I thought I’d do was at the Etobicoke Sun Life nest site where O’Connor and Jack have been seen recently being quite active together.  This past month the pair have been glued to the “is” in Moneris on the west tower of the three buildings and are sitting at times on the same letter!  This is very un-O’Connor like as she tends towards ferocious independance and is not one for peregrine romance.  Today, the “defender of the realm” was all by herself sitting on the web camera housing napping and digesting yet another enormous crop.  A building ledge search of Sunlife and his secret spot on Mabelle Ave did not yield a sighting of Jack.  O’Connor seemed quite pleased to have the place to herself and it was interesting to watch her as she was clearly obsessed with her tray.  She kept looking at it and at one point hopped down, got into the tray and began some house cleaning before flying back up onto the cam case for a nap.  I will be back again on a sunny day to see if I can catch the pair in action.

!!! Duck for Diner!
December 04, 2012 - International, National and Local News

CPF Postmaster Reports:

December 4th - 2012

Earlier I sent you the email below. You have responded so thank you. I also have a peregrine pic (which isn’t as sharp) sitting on a Pintail (still alive). You also may have ths pic and use it as you wish….or don’t use it…up to you.

Don Hladky
Calgary, Alberta

Sad  Do you think it had a chance?
« Last Edit: 11-Dec-12, 08:57:57 AM by Donna » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: 11-Dec-12, 08:54:08 AM »

is this near where Linn is?

Patty says about 7 or 8 miles from Linn's nest.

BIGFRANK
« Reply #1117 on: 13-Dec-12, 12:22:49 PM »

Its no trouble for Lynn to get to that spot where the Peregrine has been sighted but after visiting Yellow Pages the other day, it seems a great enough distance that she wouldn't bother. There is plenty of food around where Lynn nests so no reason to go so far. So my short answer doesn't help a lot...possible but not likely her.
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: 14-Dec-12, 05:53:18 AM »

Its no trouble for Lynn to get to that spot where the Peregrine has been sighted but after visiting Yellow Pages the other day, it seems a great enough distance that she wouldn't bother. There is plenty of food around where Lynn nests so no reason to go so far. So my short answer doesn't help a lot...possible but not likely her.
Thanks Frank and Donna. I wondered if it was her or trouble for her if you know what I mean.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: 14-Dec-12, 08:56:02 AM »

(This barely being able to get here during work anymore stinks...)

So last week I put a quick map together plotting the Scarborough region pefas...

http://goo.gl/maps/uxjP6

East marker is Linn & Rueben, west marker is Quest & Kendal, middle marker is unidentified pefa.

And looking at it again, if it's one of "ours" it's more likely to be Quest or Kendal-they have been to Tam O'Shanter before just north of the mystery pefa

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: 14-Dec-12, 11:35:39 AM »

So last week I put a quick map together plotting the Scarborough region pefas...

East marker is Linn & Rueben, west marker is Quest & Kendal, middle marker is unidentified pefa.

And looking at it again, if it's one of "ours" it's more likely to be Quest or Kendal-they have been to Tam O'Shanter before just north of the mystery pefa

I agree Ei!  santawave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: 15-Dec-12, 09:11:20 AM »

Second Pair in Windsor Cross Border Shopping!
December 15, 2012 - International, National and Local News

Tracy Simpson Reports:

After visiting with Freddie and Voltaire at the Ambassador Bridge, Bruce and I travelled north through town to check out the area for the new pair that arrived in Windsor this spring.  They did successfully produce at least two young but have since changed their site of interest.  Initially their focus was on a communications tower at the Windsor CBC and so we checked that out first.  Nothing.  Around we go to park on Riverside Drive for a look at their other hangouts; the Hilton, the Chrysler building and Caesars.  Snake eyes…  …nada.  Bruce and I then started a scan of the Detroit side of the river.  The crossing at this point is very narrow and we were able to easily scan the buildings and rooftops of the Detroit skyline for sitting grins.  We had to keep in mind that there is a nest in Detroit on Michigan Ave at the AT&T building and so we might see active grins, but not necessarily the ones we seek.  This building was readily visible from our vantage point.  Funny enough, the unbanded female at AT&T Detroit is paired with a male named Bud-z.  He and Freddie share the same parents ( Fury and Baltimore ) and share a hatch site in Ohio but from different years; Freddie was hatched in 2001 and Bud-z in 2000.  I guess Freddie’s following in his older brother’s talon steps.

After 20 min Bruce picks up a flight on the Detroit side near the Millender Apartments of a single bird that could indeed be a peregrine.  This bird flew south through the city towards the four Renaissance buildings and was followed by another bird.  Definately peregrines.  The pair circled around the four buildings and then like a shot, powered across the Detroit River and landed on the Chrysler building sign.  We repositioned and found the female on the H and the male was already off and gone.  After a minute or two we relocated the male at the Hilton flying around the rooftop.  He located a cache on the SW side and then flew over to the Chrysler building to eat.  We were able to confirm without a doubt that the male is unbanded.  The female, who sat digesting her own enormous crop, was sitting back enough on the sign to hide her legs.  When she stepped forward, we were able to see that she is banded with a Black over Red recovery band and a purple USFW.  As the evening light was not the best, we were unable to read the recovery band clearly.  What I can tell you is that this bird has very distinct streaking on her chest up into her crop area making her readily discernible from the male.   The two sat together on the Chrysler sign for quite some time during the evening.  The male was napping here and there but the female was watching the Detroit side of the river very intently.  Even though she was cropped up, after 30 min the female flew off and decided to harass some pigeons on the neighboring buildings and we saw some great flights from her.  She returned to the Chrysler building and the two sat close together for the next while.  As dusk was approaching, the female began to vocalize and both her and the male took off after something right over our heads.  We later discovered a very nervous Coopers hawk that had been hunting the lakeshore which was put down in a tree by the pair.  Both the male and female did not return to the Chrysler and a scan of the area did not reveal their location.

This pair loves the Chrysler and Hilton buildings as evidenced by not only their presence but by the amount of whitewash on both buildings.  The pair are also caching food on the Hilton, hunting the area and defending this section of the lakeshore.  I look forward to learning who this new girl in town is and seeing where they decide to nest next year.

As a side note, on the Google Earth map I added direct lines of flight and the Chrysler building is 1.8km from the Detroit AT&T nest site and 2.7km from Freddie and Volaire.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/12/sightings/second-pair-in-windsor-cross-border-shopping/ pics here

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: 15-Dec-12, 10:37:12 AM »

it's not Quest (no transmitter) but it could be Kendal
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: 15-Dec-12, 10:47:20 AM »

it's not Quest (no transmitter) but it could be Kendal

Would have helped if I had looked at the pictures again before I posted that...duh!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Windwolves
Pipping

Like Count: 6

View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: 17-Dec-12, 10:56:33 AM »

The post that Donna copied from the CPF website above contains an error.  I already fixed it on the CPF post but Donna is just tooooooo quick!!  I posted that Freddie and Bud-z are brothers from Fury and Baltimore but it should have read Fury and *7/X.  I posted the wrong parent...  ...not enough coffee.  Sorry about the confusion!
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: