THE FORUM

07-Sep-24, 10:48:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1078599 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: 04-Feb-13, 09:07:26 AM »

Hamilton Sheraton
A NEW YEAR BEGINS!!!!!!

January 31, 2013 - It is still a few months until Madame X and Surge begin nesting atop the Sheraton Hamilton Hotel, but already we have reports of them defending their territory from incursions by other raptors. Positive identification of the birds will be made closer to nesting time, but for now we are presuming that we still have our old resident pair, Madame X, back for her thirteenth year, and Surge, back for his eighth season.

In 2012 Madame X and Surge hatched three chicks, all boys - Beckett (682 grams), Felker (671 grams) and Tiffany, who weighed in at a trim 641 grams. All named for Hamilton waterfalls. All three birds flew strongly on their first flights, and quickly mastered the skies without need for any rescues. You can read more about their exploits in the History section.

Last year was an exceptional one for webcam photos, with our first-ever live capture of the moment of first flight (for Beckett). The new camera installed in 2010 (funded by a generous grant from the TD-Canada Trust Friends of the Environment Fund) was used to maximum effect, resulting in some amazing close-ups, and photos of activities on nearby rooftops.

Our FalconCams will be reactivated in early March (once again, with the generous support of Worldline/ Fibernetics), and we will be on the lookout for courting and nesting behaviour. We can expect to see eggs in late March or early April.

Madame X was hatched on a bridge on Pennsylvania Route 309, the Cross-Valley Expressway in Wilkes-Barre, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania. Banded as a hatchling on 7 June 1999, she was known to the falcon watchers in Northeast PA as 'Runaround Sue', a name suggested after she was found running along the expressway guide wall one morning. We are keeping the folks in Pennsylvania posted on Madame X's progress.

Hatched and banded in Etobicoke in 2002, Surge spent at least part of the 2004-2005 seasons trying to establish a nest at the Burlington Lift Bridge. In 2006 he replaced the male at the Sheraton nest and has been in Hamilton since.

Many birds exhibit a trait called 'site fidelity'. If at least one of a pair that used a nest site in the previous year return, and if there have been no significant physical changes to disturb either the nest itself or the birds generally, they will use the same nest site over and over again, year after year. Peregrine Falcons are known for site fidelity. This will be the nineteenth year the same nest site on the Sheraton Hamilton Hotel has been used.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: 04-Feb-13, 09:20:03 AM »

clap thumbsup Thanks Carly! 

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: 04-Feb-13, 02:57:21 PM »

As the Falcon Turns continues....

Site Check at William Osler Hospital
February 02, 2013 - Etobicoke - William Osler
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Bruce Massey and I spent some time this weekend checking in on things at the William Osler Hospital.  As you know, Hurricane has not been seen since Dec. 22 when he was last confirmed on site and the male now hanging around here is Casper from the Hilton Garden Inn territory.

When I arrived, I found Chessie in the east tower on the very top in the middle of the tower.  I checked in with security and then out to the parking lot for a look and some pictures.  She had a very full crop that she was working on digesting and usually in “squish the food” mode, the birds are more relaxed.  Not Chessie today.  Her head was swivelling madly behind her to the east and then it she would swivel back around to look southwest.  This went on for several minutes and as Bruce arrived we remarked how uneasy she looked.  Boom!!  She was off like a shot to the east on a very serious mission and disappeared from sight.  It wasn’t 5 minutes and she had returned to the eastern end of the tower and was roosting.  I snapped some pictures of her and as I was reviewing them, I could clearly see that there was a patch of bright red blood staining her undertail feathers, perhaps from a rather messy meal.  No sign of any male at the William Osler site and so Bruce and I left Chessie preening in the hydro tower and made our way down to the Hilton Garden Inn.  Little did I know that the staining on Chessie in the photo would play a very important role in what we experienced and came to understand next.  The story continues in the post that follows for the Hilton Garden Inn.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: 04-Feb-13, 02:58:05 PM »

Part deux...

Hilton Garden Inn; An Unusual Update
February 02, 2013 - International, National and Local News
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Bruce and I made our way next down to the Hilton Garden Inn as this site is inextricably tied to the William Osler Hospital as Casper, the resident male identified here last year, has been seen regularly seen at the Hospital with Chessie as of late.

Upon arrival, I searched all of the usual spots that Casper and Claire, the resident female, hang out on.  Nothing.  I was driving east on Caroga Drive for another pass around the area and found Casper sitting on a light standard at the end of the road.  I pulled over and snapped several pictures while Bruce got a scope view of him.  This was clearly Casper.  He has a solid black recovery band marked 35 over Y that Bruce was able to confirm.  He sat roosting on the light standard for a while and then out of nowhere comes a kestrel that attempts to knock Casper right in the head.  Unamused by this, Casper takes off in hot pursuit across the 427 towards the east.  He returns in a few minutes and flies up to his favorite roost spot on the Hilton Garden Inn.

Bruce and I alter our positions for a better look at Casper.  Up to this point there is no sign of Claire.  Not unusual as she tends to use the Hilton more so in the evening.  A quick scan of the area and we found the female on the same light standard that Casper had just left.  Bruce and I again reposition and I begin to take pictures.  In reviewing the images, I can clearly see a bright red blood stain on the undertail feathers of this female near her left leg.  This was Chessie.  The stain on her undertail feathers confirms without a doubt that this bird was at William Osler half an hour before we located her here.  It was quite cold and blustery and for the most part her bands were covered but she did reveal her silver USFW band.  Claire is banded black over green with a PURPLE USFW band.  This was not Claire but Chessie.  Chessie sat for quite some time on the light and then as I dove into my car for a warm up of the fingers ( this always happens to me ) she was off like a shot towards the Holiday Inn across the 427 and we could see her stooping something twice before turning back and flying to our side of the highway.  She flew over towards the other Hilton hotel, stooped again and then went low out of sight.  Casper didn’t move off of the Garden Inn and remained roosting in his corner.  I drove around the neighborhood and found Chessie on a TV style antenna of a one story commercial business that was at best 20 feet off of the ground.  She stayed on that antenna until it was too dark to take any more pictures and I left her sitting there looking very uncomfortable and uneasy.  I was able to get a shot of her band that confirms that this is indeed Chessie with a black over green 49 / AD.  At no time did she approach or land on the Hilton Garden Inn but did keep Casper in her sights.

So, to sum up.  Hurricane is not at the William Osler Hospital.  Casper is.  Now Claire is not at the Hilton Garden Inn.  Chessie is.  It would appear that two adults from two separate sites have relinquished control of their territories and the two that remain in the area, Casper and Chessie, are working to sort out where they want to be.   Bruce and I will be staying on this.  Where are Claire and Hurricane?  Where will this potential new pairing end up?  More questions than answers I’m afraid.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: 04-Feb-13, 02:58:47 PM »

Part Three...

Site Checks at William Osler
February 03, 2013 - Etobicoke - William Osler
Bruce Massey Reports:

I stopped in at the William Osler Hospital site to see if I could locate either Chessie or Casper in the area.  When I arrived I found a peregrine on the southeast corner and after checking with my scope, confirmed that it was Casper.  I left and headed down to the Hilton Garden Inn to look for activity but had no luck.  I returned back to the hospital and found that Casper had now moved to the tower but was still in the territory.  No sign of Chessie at either site.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: 04-Feb-13, 06:33:59 PM »

Thanks for all the updates Carly. Already they have their hands full up there in O Canada! Bruce and Tracy make a fantastic team of watchers.  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: 05-Feb-13, 02:44:05 PM »

A short visit at King Street:

Gone after the last pic.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: 06-Feb-13, 07:11:42 PM »

Spring Comes to the Lift Bridge
February 06, 2013 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

Yesterday, February 5th, Bill visited the Lift Bridge.  As he walked towards the Pier from the Beach Parking Lot, Mom was sitting on the very bottom beam of the Hamilton Hydro Tower.  She was looking directly down at him chirping.  I guess she was sitting there digesting lunch as her crop was full.

Today, February 6th, we dropped by again.  It was cool -6 degrees, but both were visible sunning themselves.  Dad was mostly sitting on the old nest ledge and Mom was sitting on the corner of the nest box.  They both took to the air, getting  the pigeons up and moving.  When they returned, Mom went to the nest box and Dad followed mating with her.  Spring is in the air at the Lift Bridge!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: 06-Feb-13, 07:32:50 PM »

Woohoo! Love the Burlington site! Best wishes for the upcoming season!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: 08-Feb-13, 03:35:57 PM »

Not really about falcons but CPF is at the Sportsman Show this weekend.  Check out Mayor Ford holding Alexandra the Owl and Mark Nash!

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/informer/ford-focus/2013/02/08/rob-ford-sportsmens-show/?utm_source=further-inform&utm_medium=plugin&utm_campaign=further-inform
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: 08-Feb-13, 04:19:26 PM »

He doesn't look one bit comfortable with the GHO . . .  happy
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: 12-Feb-13, 08:15:08 AM »

Hamilton Sheraton
PEREGRINE DINES AT CAFETERIA!

February 6, 2013 - The photo at left was sent to us by Joanne Minogue, who spotted this Peregrine dining on a pigeon, just outside the cafeteria entrance of the Hamilton General Hospital. Based on the facial markings, the bird may be Surge, though there is also a chance that this is a falcon from the pair nesting on the Burlington lift bridge.
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1167 on: 12-Feb-13, 08:41:49 AM »

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: 12-Feb-13, 11:26:33 AM »

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon?

I just laughed out loud!  Good one, Shaky!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: 12-Feb-13, 12:12:37 PM »

Hamilton Sheraton
PEREGRINE DINES AT CAFETERIA!

February 6, 2013 - The photo at left was sent to us by Joanne Minogue, who spotted this Peregrine dining on a pigeon, just outside the cafeteria entrance of the Hamilton General Hospital. Based on the facial markings, the bird may be Surge, though there is also a chance that this is a falcon from the pair nesting on the Burlington lift bridge.

I don't know-does some of the plumage seem juvenile to you? Beige stripes on the head & over the eyes...at least one white tipped tail feather...don't see any yellow on the beak. Neck & legs look white...could it be a sub-adult?

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 82 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: