THE FORUM

01-May-24, 02:10:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A New Logo  (Read 52600 times)
Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 27-Nov-10, 11:28:03 AM »

No, Carol, I wouldn't dream of volunteering.  I really wouldn't be good enough to work with any of you experienced folk.  I have now learned my place.  No, I will stay quiet and out of the way.
Anne

Sorry, Shaky.  I should have realized how talented and hard working you are!  My error.  I will be quiet and ask no more questions.  Please forgive me for being curious!  I should have known better!!  Please keep up your really fine and hard work!!
Anne in T

Anne, you don't have to apologize or to to stay back. You did nothing wrong, you only asked a question. It's impossible to know everything that happens in this group.
When things are not clear, you can always ask about it and there will always be nice and friendly people who wil give you an answer.
greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
birdmusic
Fledgling

Like Count: 14

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 27-Nov-10, 01:40:13 PM »

Nothing really grabbed me until today when #74 came in - the one on the bottom without the city scape.  The font is nice, the colors are good, it shows motion, and adds a touch of humor - the falcon coming in for a landing and tilting the "R" - rockin' Rochester, as it were.

The upper one with the black background is even better, but I'm not sure how that would work in all the places it would be used.
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 27-Nov-10, 04:40:27 PM »

Wow! logo #77 really rings my bell too - lots of motion and a very detailed falcon. I like it on all the colors. #73 bottom (no buildings) is the same falcon plus "Rfalconcam" text, which I prefer. But in that one, the bird is not as detailed, maybe because it's a little smaller with the text included???  If this design is popular with everyone, before making a final choice, perhaps the committee should talk with a graphics art professional as to which one or which color would print out best on clothing and other merchandise. 

Dot in PA
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 27-Nov-10, 06:35:44 PM »

Anne, I think all of us not in the inner circle of this group were curious about why we need a new logo. I can't see any harm in your questions and I would bet my life that NOBODY took offense at what you said. I'm sad that you feel you should keep your opinions and questions to yourself, or that you don't fit in here anymore for whatever reason. You said you have "learned your place", but I think your place is right here chiming in with any and all questions and comments. I personally have enjoyed your comments for years and want to continue hearing from you.

Dot in PA

Count me in on this one  2thumbsup
Carol
WV
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 27-Nov-10, 06:38:29 PM »

Great falcon on 74 and 77
rssport
Fledgling

Like Count: 20

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 27-Nov-10, 08:56:59 PM »

I'm leaving this up to you guys. Can't see any detail, every time I try to use the spy glass
it shows a lock. If I do get it to enlarge all I get is the bottom of the box with the number.
You can't scroll up to see the rest. ???
It's all yours folks.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 27-Nov-10, 09:24:19 PM »

I'm leaving this up to you guys. Can't see any detail, every time I try to use the spy glass
it shows a lock. If I do get it to enlarge all I get is the bottom of the box with the number.
You can't scroll up to see the rest. ???
It's all yours folks.

I haven't been using that feature-same thing happens to me.  What has worked is to click on the logo-it brings you to a page with the all logos in a strip at the top and the one you selected slightly larger below.  Single click on the slightly larger logo should bring up a large version of it where you can see the detail.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
rssport
Fledgling

Like Count: 20

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 27-Nov-10, 10:15:41 PM »

Thanks, bow
I'll try that. Have seen the strip but never saw a larger insert.

Rita
Vandrefalk
Eyas

Like Count: 18

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 28-Nov-10, 06:09:36 PM »

Boy, this is going to be hard -- there is a lot of talent out there! 2thumbsup

A lot of them look like sports logos to me and I think some of them with the city background are a bit busy -- and were the decision made to go with a city background, shouldn't the Kodak Tower be in there somewhere?  It has such a strong place in our history.

Having said that, #79 appeals to me -- there's something reminiscent  of the Kodak colors we used to see -- I like the falcon.  It's also small enough to be on a lapel pin and would look good on a shirt.  I like the artist's other submissions as well, but think I like this one best.\

I'm sure glad I don't have to make this decision -- and have so much respect and admiration for all of you working this site and making RFalconcam happen!

Also glad Anne asked her questions as I think we all understand a bit more what keeping this site entails!

Vandrefalk/Karen R
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 28-Nov-10, 07:19:56 PM »

Glad I'm not the one that has to make a decision.  Love the look of the falcon with the R in it's talons (#77).  That's really cool.  I still can't chose a favorite!

Question - Does anyone know why some logos are now withdrawn that were up there before?  Are they withdrawn by the artist or by crowdSpring?

I noticed many forum members are leaning towards a more traditional-type logo. Does fast/sleek mean abstract or modern to a graphic artist?

Reposting the link so you don't have to back to the first page: http://www.crowdspring.com/project/2290056_rfalconcam-logo/
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: 28-Nov-10, 07:57:42 PM »

I don't necessarily mind that many of the submissions look like sports team logos.  After all, we're going for dynamic, and sport teams embody that characteristic. 

My favorites of the entries tend toward the more abstract.  #55 (and its various cousins) are clean, elegant and simple.  They'd reproduce equally well in stamped/formed jewelry, clothing or stationery.  They would also lend themselves to being used as embossed elements.  The artist has shown us what they'd look like on a webpage banner, business card, as a watermark, etc.  I also like #6 for the same reasons (despite it looking like it could live on the side of a football helmet).  It's not as kinetic as #55 but the falcon head silhouette is spot-on.  It would certainly work well as an insignia.  It's simple enough to be used in a variety of applications (ornaments, watermark/embossed, pins/jewelry, web banners, etc).

For pure dynamism, I like 19, 28 & 62, all the product of the same artist. These are very sports-like, but they convey a definite sense of power and motion.  They'd work well as graphic elements, whether on clothing or printed material; perhaps not so well as pieces of jewelry though.

For whimsy and daring it's hard to beat 54, even though I think "dragon" rather than "falcon" when I see it.  The design is reminiscent of Anglo-Saxon or Celtic interlaced art, which I greatly enjoy and admire.

As for the rest, there is something to like in just about every one of the designs. I don't envy the Merchandise Committee for the tough job they're going to have whittling down the choices (or choosing none of the above).  Best of luck to them and to all the talented artists who rose to the challenge.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
anneintoronto
« Reply #86 on: 28-Nov-10, 09:54:41 PM »

I am going to resubmit, what I posted earlier and pulled out of anger, apparently misplaced.  I am having some trouble with emotions...  My problem, one which I am doing a lot to remedy as it benefits no one, especially me.  I don't have time to see if there are any new submissions...  I am busy trying to repair some bridges I've done some damage to...  But I will reply to that later...  Here is what I wrote a few days ago, for what it's worth...

There are several good, clean logos submissions, but I'm having difficulty getting a really clear picture of what the bird represented is... Some are too generic, some look like parrots... Did you indictate that the artists could be contacted to give them a chance to rectify the lack of clarity? I do like several of the designs, as they give tight, clear information that is definitely the basis of what comprises a good logo...
My choices would be 42, if the bird could look just much more "speedy falcon-y"... I'm not an artist, but could the head be flattened a bit to give more speed to the bird...or the wings be tucked back a little...with lines indicating speed? This bird looks like it is out for a Sunday fly...not a bad thing, just not quite how I picture the fastest bird in the world...   But at least this design has the necessary clarity of a logo! The same with 39 -- it has good indications for speed, but the bird head isn't really "peregrine" -- I see that the same artist who did 39, also did 25, which has a much better head, but no speed... The eye is great... And I like the emphasis on "falcon" by employing two colours in the name -- but I prefer the blue utilized in the old Kaver logo...

I guess I'm leaning towards, in my very humble opinion, a melding of 25 and 39, to get the best really fast peregrine, with the two-tone name adding clarity.

Just a couple of thoughts... Anne in Toronto
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 29-Nov-10, 08:01:42 AM »

I see that time is running out for logo submissions, a little over 11 hours left. There are some nice new ones this morning to look at. It is going to be very hard to decide. Will the committee do the choosing from the feedback posted by various members?

ANNE,Anne, I'm so glad you have thought things over and are ready to give this forum another try.  flowers

Dot in PA
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: 29-Nov-10, 08:24:30 AM »

Question - Does anyone know why some logos are now withdrawn that were up there before?  Are they withdrawn by the artist or by crowdSpring?

I noticed many forum members are leaning towards a more traditional-type logo. Does fast/sleek mean abstract or modern to a graphic artist?

They are withdrawn by the artist. Each artist determines what sleek/fast means to them.

I am very pleased to see the variation in interpretation. I doubt that we falcon watchers would have come up with some of these great designs.

There are several good, clean logos submissions, but I'm having difficulty getting a really clear picture of what the bird represented is... Some are too generic, some look like parrots... Did you indictate that the artists could be contacted to give them a chance to rectify the lack of clarity? I do like several of the designs, as they give tight, clear information that is definitely the basis of what comprises a good logo...

Yes, we have left feedback for each artist on their designs and most of them have made modifications to address our concerns.

We'd obviously like a logo that conveys the sense of a peregrine falcon -- speed, agility, beauty, etc. We also want the logo to be eye-catching and attractive with simple lines and bold colors. These last two attributes will make the logo easy to reproduce at varying sizes on a variety of media on many different background colors. The logo should also work well without its accompanying text. (e.g. the old Kodak K, the Xerox X, Apple's apple, AT&T's sphere, Nike's swoosh, McD's arches) When the logo is rendered with text, the artist is asked to provide a font the goes well with the design. Finally, the logo should work well in a variety of aspect ratios from long narrow banners and bumper stickers to more square spaces like mugs, baseball caps, and buttons.

I see that time is running out for logo submissions, a little over 11 hours left. There are some nice new ones this morning to look at. It is going to be very hard to decide. Will the committee do the choosing from the feedback posted by various members?

Once we have all the entries, we will narrow them down to our top 2-5 choices unless there is an obvious winner, which is highly unlikely. Then we will open it up to a public vote.
« Last Edit: 01-Dec-10, 07:33:35 AM by Shaky » Logged
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 29-Nov-10, 09:55:57 AM »

These logo submissions are all fantastic!  How sad that only one can be chosen. Of the new entries, I like:

#107 - sleekly abstract and very powerful
#99 and #97 (look alike to me) Like the 2 colors and the flow of the falcon
#94 - sleek, abstract, very different. Love the facial expression

Dot in PA
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: