THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 04:02:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlanta Zoo Pandas  (Read 151584 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 11-Jul-13, 11:56:25 AM »

Zoo Atlanta is on birth watch for LunLun so cam is running 24/7!   panda

http://www.zooatlanta.org/1212/panda_cam

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 15-Jul-13, 05:15:17 PM »

Lun Lun's water broke about 40 minutes ago, she is in labor on cam right now!! Paws crossed for a successful birth!
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 15-Jul-13, 05:50:41 PM »

Lun Lun's water broke about 40 minutes ago, she is in labor on cam right now!! Paws crossed for a successful birth!

Oh goody! Perfect timing after 24/7 falconcam watching is slowing down. On my way there now! panda

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 15-Jul-13, 06:26:24 PM »

TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  TWO CUBBIES JUST NOW.. yahoo yahoo
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: 15-Jul-13, 06:28:30 PM »

I'm watching!!   heart heart

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: 15-Jul-13, 06:41:14 PM »

panda panda

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: 15-Jul-13, 06:41:51 PM »

I've been watching too and how exciting with twins!   panda panda 

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: 15-Jul-13, 06:42:44 PM »

I wonder if they'll do the baby swapping they do in China?

carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: 15-Jul-13, 06:57:40 PM »

Are they healthy ,and will they stay with Lun Lun ? It's fun to watch the two of them growing up together.
Great cam , thanks for posting ,Kris Ei and Carly!
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: 15-Jul-13, 07:01:10 PM »

Yes they will kitty,  they grabbed cub 2 when the cam panned up.  I signed up for the exclusive birth watch details and one of the photos showed a nursery right next door to the den with an incubator all set up ready for anything that might happen.  

In the wild, a female will reject one twin as she only has the resources to raise one hence the twin swapping method.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: 15-Jul-13, 07:06:14 PM »

Yes they will kitty,  they grabbed cub 2 when the cam panned up.  I signed up for the exclusive birth watch details and one of the photos showed a nursery right next door to the den with an incubator all set up ready for anything that might happen.  

In the wild, a female will reject one twin as she only has the resources to raise one hence the twin swapping method.

Thanks! I know National zoo has a twin room set up if needed, but I wasn't following Atlanta that closely with fledge watch & all

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: 15-Jul-13, 07:31:09 PM »

Giant panda Lun Lun delivers twins
By Bo Emerson

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Lun Lun, the giant panda at Zoo Atlanta, has given birth to twins.

The twins are her fourth and fifth offspring. She was in labor barely 90 minutes, compared to 36 hours for her first delivery.

Both infants appeared healthy, according to Dwight Lawson, deputy director.

Though giant pandas bear twins in the wild, such an event has not happened among the pandas born in the U.S. in the last 20 years Lawson said.

Lawson said that in the wild usually only one of a pair of twins will survive, because of the difficulty of caring for two.

The zoo hopes to ensure the survival of both infants by switching them regularly, giving them to the mother one at a time.

“It’s tricky,” said Lawson.

http://www.ajc.com/news/entertainment/giant-panda-lun-lun-is-in-labor/nYrM2/
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: 15-Jul-13, 07:32:57 PM »

LUN LUN THE GIANT PANDA GIVES BIRTH TO TWINS!
Monday, July 15, 2013
New arrivals are the fourth – and fifth – for Lun Lun and Yang Yang

ATLANTA – July 15, 2013 – Lun Lun, a 15-year-old giant panda, gave birth to twins on July 15, 2013. The first of the tiny duo arrived at 6:21 p.m., and its twin followed at 6:23 p.m. The cubs are the first giant pandas to be born in the U.S. in 2013 and the first twins to be born in the U.S. since 1987.

The Animal Management and Veterinary Teams are currently caring for one of the cubs in the nursery unit in the Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation Giant Panda Center; Lun Lun is currently caring for the other. Assisting Zoo Atlanta staff is an animal care colleague from the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding where Lun Lun and Yang Yang were born. Lun Lun is an experienced and capable mother, but she has never before given birth to twins, which are not unusual in her species.

The Animal Management and Veterinary Teams will base their continuing strategy for the cubs’ care on Lun Lun’s behavior and the cubs’ health. If necessary, they will rotate the cubs’ time with her to ensure that both receive an equal share of maternal care without overexerting her. In the wild, giant panda mothers typically care for only one cub when twins are born. Thus, it is normal in the wild for only one of the twins to survive. Giant panda twins have survived in zoos within and outside of China. Usually this is accomplished by rotating the cubs with the mother for the first few months. However, giant pandas are born very tiny, and there is a high risk of mortality in the first few months. This risk increases in twins, which tend to have lower birth rates than do single cubs.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Lun Lun’s and Yang Yang’s twins. This is a success we share with all of our fellow zoological organizations working to understand and protect this iconic species, and we share our joy with our local community and with our colleagues in China,” said Raymond B. King, President and CEO. “Twins are an entirely new scenario for Lun Lun, Zoo Atlanta and our animal care teams, who will no doubt be extremely busy over the next few months.”

Zoo Atlanta Members and guests can expect to meet the cubs in late fall. The newborns’ father, 15-year-old Yang Yang, and older brothers Xi Lan, 4, and Po, 2, remain on exhibit and will not be housed with Lun Lun or the cubs. This separation is normal for giant pandas, which are solitary in the wild.

The cubs are the fourth and fifth giant pandas born at Zoo Atlanta. The first cub, Mei Lan, was born in September 2006. A resident of China’s Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding since 2010, Mei Lan was the first of the pair’s offspring to return to his parents’ native country. All five of Lun Lun’s and Yang Yang’s cubs have been products of artificial insemination.

Fewer than 1,600 giant pandas are believed to remain in the wild, where funds from Zoo Atlanta are used to support giant pandas living in eight different nature reserves in China. In 2012, Zoo Atlanta received the distinguished International Conservation Award from the Association of Zoos and Aquariums for its long-term commitment to the species.

http://www.zooatlanta.org/home/article_content/giant_panda_twins
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: 15-Jul-13, 08:16:53 PM »

From ZA Facebook:

When you see the wall appear on PandaCam, that means they're attempting to swap cubs!
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: 15-Jul-13, 09:12:26 PM »

They just did a successful baby swap!  2thumbsup

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: