THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 11:38:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norfolk Eagles in their new nest  (Read 256581 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: 21-Sep-12, 09:57:28 AM »

Don't forget our gathering of hope on Saturday at 5 p.m. at Norfolk Botanical Garden! Meet in the main parking lot in front of the visitors' center. More later but in the meantime please, EAGLE ON!!!!! And thanks!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: 21-Sep-12, 08:44:16 PM »

http://youtu.be/BLCWBOuvMbo

"This is a pair of Bald Eagles local to me. In the first segment the male Eagle was desperately trying to break off a branch to add to their nest. In the second segment the male (left) and female (right) sat quietly enjoying the evening. Photographs at the end of the video were taken during the 2012 nesting season. Music: Peter Hawkes~Cassidy Buxom, Steve Glotzer~No Place Like It. Royalty free music."

Duane Noblick-Eagle Photographer

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: 22-Sep-12, 11:31:38 PM »

http://www.wvec.com/news/Eagle-fans-create-memorial-to-save-nests-in-Norfolk-170863471.html  Memorial to save the nest

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: 27-Sep-12, 11:01:51 PM »

Norfolk Botanical Garden Eagle Alliance
Councilman Tommy Smigiel and I attended the NBG Board meeting tonight at the Garden and the board voted to form a task force to study the eagle nest removal issue and asked the city manager's office to delay taking the nest down until their study was complete. Assistant City Manager Anne Odell was at the meeting, too.

This is great news IF the city manager complies and waits to remove the nest.

EAGLE ON, EVERYONE!!! EAGLE ON!!!!!!!!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: 28-Sep-12, 12:04:05 AM »

Councilman Tommy Smigiel and I attended the NBG Board meeting tonight at the Garden and the board voted to form a task force to study the eagle nest removal issue and asked the city manager's office to delay taking the nest down until their study was complete. Assistant City Manager Anne Odell was at the meeting, too.

This is great news IF the city manager complies and waits to remove the nest.

EAGLE ON, EVERYONE!!! EAGLE ON!!!!!!!!!

Good!  thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: 01-Oct-12, 07:25:09 PM »

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/norfolk/task-force-to-study-moving-eagles

Task force to study relocating eagles

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: 03-Oct-12, 04:04:15 PM »

Posted on fb:  crying

BREAKING NEWS: NORFOLK NESTS TO BE MOVED TOMORROW

Very sad news for Dad and #3 and all of us who love our eagles and our Garden. Shame on our City!

Good Afternoon,

This morning the Norfolk Botanical Garden board held an emergency meeting and voted to support the recommendation to remove the nests. I have attached their motions to this email. The City is in possession of the state and federal permits. After discussions with USDA representatives who state removing the nest as early as possible gives the eagles a chance to find another location and reviewing the Garden’s schedule, we determined the best time to remove the nests is tomorrow morning Thursday, October 4th.

According to the tree service, climbers will remove the nests by hand and drop branches to the ground. Under federal law, a USDA representative will supervise the removal process. In the interest of public safety, the garden will close for no more than two hours during this process.

Moving forward, USDA representatives will monitor and report any eagle activity at the Garden and conduct appropriate dispersal techniques.

Since 2011, representatives from the USDA, Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries, the Norfolk Botanical Garden, the FAA and the Norfolk International Airport met about the eagle activity at the airport, nest proximity to the airport, strike history and eagles in Virginia. In June, the City of Norfolk brought these groups around a table to further examine the issue and discuss the recommendation from USDA Wildlife Services to remove the nests following the completion of the Wildlife Hazard Assessment which showed a “significant risk” to public safety. The FAA also sent a letter supporting the USDA’s position in July. Shortly thereafter, the Airport, City and Garden agreed to support the recommendation and remove the nests.

The City of Norfolk, as landowner, moved forward to obtain the necessary state and federal permits in August.

While we all have enjoyed the eagle’s presence in the Garden, encouraging the birds to relocate ultimately ensures the safety of the public, property and the eagles.

Please feel free to call me with any questions.

Sincerely,

Lori Crouch
Public Relations Manager
 City of Norfolk
 810 Union Street, Suite 1101
 Norfolk, Va. 23510
office (757) 664-4067
cell (757) 646-5381
Facebook: www.facebook.com/NorfolkVA
Twitter: www.twitter.com/CityofNorfolkVA
« Last Edit: 03-Oct-12, 04:37:36 PM by Kris G. » Logged

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: 03-Oct-12, 04:16:19 PM »

Saying bad words...lots of bad words...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: 03-Oct-12, 04:37:55 PM »

Saying bad words...lots of bad words...

Me too, Ei.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: 03-Oct-12, 06:54:45 PM »

Me 3 and they are not pretty!!!!

rssport
Fledgling

Like Count: 20

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: 03-Oct-12, 07:00:16 PM »

So who payed them off.
What a bunch of fools

Rita - Syr.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: 03-Oct-12, 07:10:37 PM »

So who payed them off.
What a bunch of fools

Rita - Syr.

All the petitions, march's, phone calls..etc, was for nothing!!  thumbsdown

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: 03-Oct-12, 07:46:29 PM »

So who payed them off.
What a bunch of fools

Rita - Syr.

I don't think it was a direct payoff.

I think enough people were afraid that there was enough of a risk of a plane striking an eagle and that the City of Norfolk would be on the hook for any damages or injuries if they "ignored the experts" that they went with the most politically expedient choice.

I saw enough comments in all the articles that we (eagle supporters) were putting the nest of 2 birds ahead of the lives of a plane full of humans who would surely die in a fireball any minute if the eagles are allowed to stay that I knew the handwriting was on the wall.  They've washed their hands of any blame for anything. Typical politicians. Except for one brave councilman, Tommy Smiegle (sp). I hope enough people remember this on election day.

But you can't fool Mother Nature. The eagles will move a few miles away. And continue to fish in Lake Whitehurst. And raise many generations of eaglets. Who will all learn to fish in Lake Whitehurst. And some of the eagle supporters will find them. And we'll know that they're OK.

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: 03-Oct-12, 07:57:04 PM »

Moving forward, USDA representatives will monitor and report any eagle activity at the Garden and conduct appropriate dispersal techniques.

this is the sentence that bothers me the most
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: 03-Oct-12, 08:08:48 PM »

this is the sentence that bothers me the most

They've been talking about paintball guns & noisemakers.

But, as our watchers know, we ground dwellers can't be everywhere.

The whole thing is just sickening. But the eagles will win in the end.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: