THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 10:57:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jersey City  (Read 162808 times)
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: 29-Apr-14, 07:01:26 PM »

They are great parents, but maybe it is time for Athena/Beatrice to rest and enjoy retirement.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 29-Apr-14, 08:54:23 PM »

They are great parents, but maybe it is time for Athena/Beatrice to rest and enjoy retirement.

yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 30-Apr-14, 06:55:50 AM »

I think the instinct is to raise and nurture young, this will give her a chance to do this again. I know Beauty was not happy the year hers did not hatch.
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: 30-Apr-14, 08:18:26 AM »

Yes, their instinct is to produce young.  I was very surprised to see her back at the scrape this year.  I thought a young one would kick her out.  She is a very tough bird.

William Blake
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 21-May-14, 05:05:13 PM »

Athena and Six got a baby today!  Estimated to be around 9-10 days old.  Links to Mike's photos posted over at BCAW.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 21-May-14, 05:28:42 PM »

That's so cool?? I'm happy for them!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 21-May-14, 05:47:13 PM »

Athena and Six got a baby today!  Estimated to be around 9-10 days old.  Links to Mike's photos posted over at BCAW.

How sweet!  Hope it works out!

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: 21-May-14, 06:52:05 PM »

They are already feeding it. They are awesome parents.

William Blake
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 21-May-14, 07:43:24 PM »

Fabulous news!  clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 28-May-14, 07:01:14 PM »

May 28: We were dead on with the aging of the nestling (9-10 days old) when we fostered it into the nest last Wednesday! Today the nestling is 16 days old, and its primary coverts (flight feathers) are just starting to come out of the sheath. You can see the dark feather tip (circled) in the above photo. I believe it's a female. From looking at photos of her with her siblings, she looks bigger than her former nestmates. Female raptors are larger than males, and with falcons, they all hatch around the same time, so aging them is much easier since they're all the same age.
At this age her feathers are really starting to develop. Her tail feathers have emerged and her down is looking even more fluffy. By 20 days her downy feathers will be very heavy and her contour or body feathers will become visible on her wing margins and tail. She is now four times her birth weight and is moving all around the nest. It really is amazing to watch how fast they grow! -Ben

fresh catch for the young eyas! Sad

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 28-May-14, 07:19:24 PM »

May 28: We were dead on with the aging of the nestling (9-10 days old) when we fostered it into the nest last Wednesday! Today the nestling is 16 days old, and its primary coverts (flight feathers) are just starting to come out of the sheath. You can see the dark feather tip (circled) in the above photo. I believe it's a female. From looking at photos of her with her siblings, she looks bigger than her former nestmates. Female raptors are larger than males, and with falcons, they all hatch around the same time, so aging them is much easier since they're all the same age.
At this age her feathers are really starting to develop. Her tail feathers have emerged and her down is looking even more fluffy. By 20 days her downy feathers will be very heavy and her contour or body feathers will become visible on her wing margins and tail. She is now four times her birth weight and is moving all around the nest. It really is amazing to watch how fast they grow! -Ben

fresh catch for the young eyas! Sad

So happy this worked out!   2thumbsup

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 28-May-14, 07:30:42 PM »

It's all good in Jersey City!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 28-May-14, 07:37:12 PM »

Have they posted where the eyas came from?

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 28-May-14, 09:04:42 PM »

Have they posted where the eyas came from?

They said a coastal nest site in Ocean Gate, NJ that had 3 eyases, including this one.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 03-Jun-14, 07:48:24 AM »

Today we'll be visiting the falcon nest at 101 Hudson St. in Jersey City to band the 23 day old nestling.

http://www.conservewildlifenj.org/education/falconcam/ cam

June 3: Banding day is here!! Today the young eyas (young falcon) is 23 days old. Ben Wurst will be visiting the nest for the last time this year to tag the bird for future tracking. The bird will be banded with two bands, a black USGS band and a bicolor alpha-numeric band that can be used to identify the individual bird using a spotting scope or a high powered telephoto lens. The bird will be sexed and examined to assess its health. Ben will be arriving at 9:30am to the building and will meet with guests and make their way up to the roof floor. The nestling will be brought inside for the banding. This will help keep the adults more calm. We'll be capturing video of the banding to share with you all once we're done.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: