THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 08:56:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1309696 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: 30-Apr-11, 06:56:32 PM »

Cry. Here's hoping everything will be OK with the remaining egg.

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
ues
« Reply #376 on: 30-Apr-11, 07:02:49 PM »

I believe in fate and this is what's meant to be. With any luck Quest and Kendal will spoil their only child and next year will go smoother.  Sad just the same!  Cry
crying
I'm with you there, MAK, but let us hold out for the last egg. May Quest and Kendal have the experience of rearing one fledgling.  Keep our fingers crossed!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: 30-Apr-11, 07:25:49 PM »

Any ideas what happened to that egg? Predator? I would think not if they were both guarding them. Strange things happen to eggs lately.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: 30-Apr-11, 07:35:31 PM »

If I was a betting person, I'd guess the egg was damaged by the concrete when it was laid & finally broke & was removed.  Just my opinion.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: 30-Apr-11, 07:43:49 PM »

If I was a betting person, I'd guess the egg was damaged by the concrete when it was laid & finally broke & was removed.  Just my opinion.

I was thinking the same thing too, Ei.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: 30-Apr-11, 08:13:03 PM »

I was thinking the same thing too, Ei.

The scrape wasn't that deep either and maybe when 1 got up, they kicked it out by accident!! Sayin.

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: 30-Apr-11, 08:28:40 PM »

Thanks for the picture of Mariah. To me she looks like her Momma. Poor egg. Hopefully the last egg will make it. (If not it won't be the first time a pair has had no luck their first try)
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #382 on: 30-Apr-11, 09:13:23 PM »

There is always tomorrow and next year.  Let's keep our fingers crossed.  Lots of fingers crossed.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: 30-Apr-11, 09:24:51 PM »

do peregrines ever have a second clutch in the same breeding season? just thinking of the
san marcos barn owls who had 2 clutches last year----but quest is young there is this one
and next year, too
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: 30-Apr-11, 09:30:52 PM »

do peregrines ever have a second clutch in the same breeding season? just thinking of the
san marcos barn owls who had 2 clutches last year----but quest is young there is this one
and next year, too
Yes, but it's a very rare occurrence.  The loss of eggs would have to be very shortly after laying for re-cycling to happen.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: 30-Apr-11, 09:36:55 PM »

and next year, too
Yes, but it's a very rare occurrence.  The loss of eggs would have to be very shortly after laying for re-cycling to happen.
I was wondering the same thing.  Ei - many of our song birds go on to have  a second or even third clutch during the breeding season.  Why is it that the falcons do not have a second or third?  Is it due to the length of the  incubation/fledging time?   I 'm curious now.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: 30-Apr-11, 09:40:23 PM »

and next year, too
I was wondering the same thing.  Ei - many of our song birds go on to have  a second or even third clutch during the breeding season.  Why is it that the falcons do not have a second or third?  Is it due to the length of the  incubation/fledging time?   I 'm curious now.
You are correct-it takes a long time to incubate & fledge peregrines.  By the time they're on their own it's too late for another clutch.  And it takes a lot out of the parents.  They need to recoup in the off season.

BIGFRANK
« Reply #387 on: 01-May-11, 12:21:06 AM »

There is plenty of time for Peregrines to re-clutch. We have done fledge watches in August. Some pairs are still in mating mode. Dont fret,there is still one egg and also still plenty enough time to reclutch.
chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: 01-May-11, 12:45:56 AM »

one healthy hatch is just wonderful, but quest if you are up to it,  we are here
for a 2nd clutch---or we we will all wait 'til next year, what ever works for you
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: 01-May-11, 05:25:19 AM »

I am just happy she is somewhere where we can see her, and not just a blip on a map.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: