THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 10:43:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1309910 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: 23-Jun-11, 09:23:59 AM »

Well, I feel pretty silly now! The vantage point I have is angled, so the concrete section that sticks out from the building was blocking my view of Harlequin, who was nestled in the corner. Oh boy...is this what it's going to be like when she tries to fly?! I don't know if I have the nerves for this!!

It's all good Kat, your not the first and certainly won't be the last. Oh and CPF is so used to this. I feel your concern. Like Shaky said, get some practice in now and be prepared for fledge!

kat
Fledgling

Like Count: 13

View Profile
« Reply #946 on: 23-Jun-11, 09:24:37 AM »

phew angel heart
Thank goodness.  Was she there the entire time?   
Shaky put the  phew  in just in time!   
All is well that ends well! 

Yep...she was there the whole time. I still don't know what Quest and Kendal were freaking out about. Probably me walking around the building!!  stupid
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #947 on: 23-Jun-11, 09:30:13 AM »

phew angel heart
Thank goodness.  Was she there the entire time?   
Shaky put the  phew  in just in time!   
All is well that ends well! 

Yep...she was there the whole time. I still don't know what Quest and Kendal were freaking out about. Probably me walking around the building!!  stupid

Don't feel silly!  They get themselves into some strange situations and our views are sometimes blocked.
Get your sneakers ready for fledge time!   Talk about nervous. 
We're just so glad you are there to provide on the spot narrative of what's going on.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #948 on: 23-Jun-11, 09:33:50 AM »

Well, I feel pretty silly now! The vantage point I have is angled, so the concrete section that sticks out from the building was blocking my view of Harlequin, who was nestled in the corner. Oh boy...is this what it's going to be like when she tries to fly?! I don't know if I have the nerves for this!!
Do NOT feel silly, kat...we have all done the exact same thing over the years...for example...this is the view from 2 of our cameras. (Click on the thumbnail to elarge)

See the ledge on the left...where it goes back beside the nest box?  Had one hiding in the tiny corner not visible on cam on the back right of that ledge last year for HOURS!  Finally saw a bit of a tail feather and we all went  phew

See the wooden "crib rails" around the platform?  Had one laying on the platform on the other side of the far rail right near the spacer block of wood.  Could NOT see a bird there for the longest time until a head popped up...and we all went phew

And in the days of 5 eyases...ARRGH!  They are masters at hiding behind one another!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #949 on: 23-Jun-11, 09:38:53 AM »

Look for places in your building where you can see the entire ledge in case the camera goes down or the operator zooms it in again. If you can't get access to those areas, find someone who can and arrange a method of contacting them when Harlie is out of view.

Try to avoid walking under the ledge.
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: 23-Jun-11, 09:39:11 AM »

Kat, don't feel silly at all!!!! This is how we all are! If she is like her mama, fledging will be interesting!  I was checking the Toronto weather forecast lots last night cause I saw a line of thunderstorms moving in and I was worried!!

Shaky's comment is important-- best to organize a fledge watch with CPF!  And we are here for all of you for that first fledge week especially!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
kat
Fledgling

View Profile
« Reply #951 on: 23-Jun-11, 09:47:47 AM »

Look for places in your building where you can see the entire ledge in case the camera goes down or the operator zooms it in again. If you can't get access to those areas, find someone who can and arrange a method of contacting them when Harlie is out of view.

Will do. I've already made contact with someone who can see the whole ledge *and* has a telescope trained on the scrape! Will avoid walking around the building again. We deemed this an emergency!

Thanks so much for the advice you've all given me!!

And...looking at the photos of the nest box you guys have set up: well, they're living it up at the Ritz, compared to our little family. Is that a ramp installed on the side?!
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #952 on: 23-Jun-11, 09:48:53 AM »

relevant quote from a fledge watch summary on the Evanston board by Neal N.:

"My most compassionate act of the day: suggesting to two human lovebirds that they might want to relocate from the bench directly below the flower box containing three Peregrine Falcon chicks."
valhalla
« Reply #953 on: 23-Jun-11, 09:55:14 AM »

"My most compassionate act of the day: suggesting to two human lovebirds that they might want to relocate from the bench directly below the flower box containing three Peregrine Falcon chicks."

hysterical rofl 2funny
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #954 on: 23-Jun-11, 09:57:25 AM »

hysterical rofl 2funny

I heard it's good luck to get Poohed on!  devil

valhalla
« Reply #955 on: 23-Jun-11, 09:59:51 AM »

hysterical rofl 2funny

I heard it's good luck to get Poohed on!  devil
It is not!  Even as an 8-year old, I cussed a blue streak!   devil
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: 23-Jun-11, 10:01:28 AM »

Will do. I've already made contact with someone who can see the whole ledge *and* has a telescope trained on the scrape! Will avoid walking around the building again. We deemed this an emergency!

Thanks so much for the advice you've all given me!!

And...looking at the photos of the nest box you guys have set up: well, they're living it up at the Ritz, compared to our little family. Is that a ramp installed on the side?!

It sure is a ramp Kat, just in case one of the juvies falls into the well, they can climb back up. With only 1 clutch of 2 so far at that site, none fell in.

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #957 on: 23-Jun-11, 10:05:31 AM »

Is that a ramp installed on the side?!

Yep. The well is over 2m deep and quite narrow. If an eyas fell down there, it would not be able to get back up without the ramp.

Nest box is well above the top of the door.

kat
Fledgling

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: 23-Jun-11, 10:10:02 AM »

It sure is a ramp Kat, just in case one of the juvies falls into the well, they can climb back up. With only 1 clutch of 2 so far at that site, none fell in.

That's amazing. The Rochester Ritz!

I think the CPF are planning to "ramp things up" next year.  Wink And probably provide a covered nest box, which would be wonderful.
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: 23-Jun-11, 10:31:27 AM »

That's amazing. The Rochester Ritz!

I think the CPF are planning to "ramp things up" next year.  Wink And probably provide a covered nest box, which would be wonderful.

Donna where was the nest box that was pictured just this spring?   It had a shingled roof or something like that.  Pretty elaborate.  Was that Water Street in NYC?  Find a picture of that one!   
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: