THE FORUM

16-Apr-24, 11:07:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1316183 times)
nwfloridafalconfan
Juvie

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: 23-Jun-11, 04:21:15 PM »

"And here's a story on Harlequin's site about the banding. Susan C and MAK are in the background of the picture of CEO Donna Hayes.   http://harlequinblog.com/2011/06/shes-been-banded-harlequin-the-peregrines-big-day/  "

I see the Harlequin Folks use the Canadian "ey" to spell Harlie.   Smiley
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: 23-Jun-11, 04:32:51 PM »

Just for the record, I caught Harlie walking into the corner for a nap...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: 23-Jun-11, 04:33:18 PM »

Speaking of Harlie, she's been very un-active today, spending most of her time in that far right corner.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: 23-Jun-11, 04:42:39 PM »

Speaking of Harlie, she's been very un-active today, spending most of her time in that far right corner.

Big corner over there...who knows what she's been up to...   devil

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: 23-Jun-11, 06:01:35 PM »

Dinner time for Harlequin!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: 23-Jun-11, 06:11:55 PM »

Quest takes off with the remains of dinner!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: 23-Jun-11, 09:22:33 PM »

Nite little Harlequin, make sure your in the cameras view tomorrow morning when Kat comes into work.  wub2

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: 23-Jun-11, 10:25:20 PM »

Nite little Harlequin, make sure your in the cameras view tomorrow morning when Kat comes into work.  wub2

Grin heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: 23-Jun-11, 10:49:13 PM »

Quest has been hiding in that right hand corner of the ledge today - after scaring all of us -- but she's been having a growth spurt!   She grew over night!

She did have a quiet kind of day. 
Sleep well, little Harlie/Harley.  I LOVE her dual citizenship!   A model of what international relations can be!

kat
Fledgling

Like Count: 13

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: 23-Jun-11, 10:50:31 PM »

Grin heart

Hee hee! (eep!)

Also: I've just uploaded a small set of photos I took at the banding on my Flickr page, here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tryhank/sets/72157627033418932/

I'm sure we'll be seeing lots more, as there was quite an array of photographers at the event.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: 23-Jun-11, 10:52:48 PM »

Well, I feel pretty silly now! The vantage point I have is angled, so the concrete section that sticks out from the building was blocking my view of Harlequin, who was nestled in the corner. Oh boy...is this what it's going to be like when she tries to fly?! I don't know if I have the nerves for this!!

Kat - You are officially a Falcon-mom now.  It never gets any easier I'm afraid and when Harlequin is ready to fledge, you'll be  scared blue

Remember, they are built for speed.  Their first flights are usually ok, but they tire quickly and they have no idea how to land.  We have seen many fledglings miss landings and hit windows and buildings and slide down roofs.  All you can do is keep an eye on her and help if needed.

My guess for a first flight will be directly at your building.  Are there ledges on your windows?  Someone may get a visitor.  If this happens, make sure everyone knows to not get too close to her.  It may scare her and force her to take off again before she's ready.  Once she lands (hopefully safely), she'll rest for a little while before trying again.  Thankfully there are not a lot of tall, glass covered buildings around you, like Rhea Mae's little ones have to deal with.

Quest and Kendal will attempt to get her to fly again, with fly-bys and food.  She will fly again, when she's ready.

After those first flights, she'll get stronger and learn to land on those big yellow feet.

I won't lie.  Watching a Peregrine fledge is not easy on the nerves, but it won't be long before she is flying strong, chasing mom and dad and snatching food from them mid-air.  It is so incredible to witness this.

Enjoy!  I envy you.   happy

and please do not hesitate to ask any questions.  The CPF will be with you all the way.

Carol P.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: 23-Jun-11, 11:00:56 PM »

Grin heart

Hee hee! (eep!)
Also: I've just uploaded a small set of photos I took at the banding on my Flickr page, here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tryhank/sets/72157627033418932/

I'm sure we'll be seeing lots more, as there was quite an array of photographers at the event.

Thanks for posting this great album of Harley's banding day,  Kat!   clap

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: 23-Jun-11, 11:10:06 PM »

Love the pics and captions Kat, especially the bucket weighing pic!! Such a girl! Thank you. Hope Harlequin graces you with her presence tomorrow.  Wink

margaret
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: 23-Jun-11, 11:49:11 PM »

Nite little Harlequin, make sure your in the cameras view tomorrow morning when Kat comes into work.  wub2

Grin heart

Hee hee! (eep!)

Nice photos, Kat.   That had to be so exciting.  Harlie looks so big in the pics!
« Last Edit: 24-Jun-11, 06:13:57 AM by Shaky » Logged
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: 24-Jun-11, 05:30:27 AM »

wave Thanks Kat those are great pics!  Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: