THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 06:12:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1318784 times)
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #2760 on: 14-Jun-13, 10:52:04 AM »

Thought they were asked to close the blinds? Guess Quest doesn't care. Still!

I spoke with the building manager at the banding, and thanked her for the building's support of the falcons. I don't remember if she was at prior bandings.  She said the falcons don't pay any attention to the windows.  The people who occupy that space actually keep the blinds closed for their own distraction and to block out the messy ledge.  She told me they had to get used to the noise outside their window.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #2761 on: 14-Jun-13, 11:04:28 AM »

Thought they were asked to close the blinds? Guess Quest doesn't care. Still!

I spoke with the building manager at the banding, and thanked her for the building's support of the falcons. I don't remember if she was at prior bandings.  She said the falcons don't pay any attention to the windows.  The people who occupy that space actually keep the blinds closed for their own distraction and to block out the messy ledge.  She told me they had to get used to the noise outside their window.

Sooo neither bother each other then! K, cool! Thanks

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2762 on: 14-Jun-13, 09:45:57 PM »

Nice write-up on Harlequin site about the banding:

Say Hello to Luna, Carina and Kimani
On Friday June 7, we officially welcomed Quest and Kendal’s three new offspring into the family with a banding ceremony here at our offices in Toronto.

At 10:00 a.m., the Canadian Peregrine Foundation (CPF), working with the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR), sent someone rappelling down from the rooftop of the building across the street from Harlequin’s Toronto Headquarters and onto the ledge where the three new hatchlings were huddled in a corner of their nest box. An agitated Quest and Kendal made aggressive swooping dives to scare off the intruder unaware that the three fluff balls were being bundled into a soft carrycase, lowered to a waiting accomplice on the ground below and carried over to the Harlequin’s offices where a large group of people (including Quest’s godparents—our friends from Rochester—who have been watching out for her since she was a hatchling herself) gathered to greet them and witness the banding.

We were met by three very healthy hatchlings that were quite vocal in conveying their displeasure at being removed from their comfortable nest box. Mark Nash from the CPF explained that the easiest way to identify the sex of hatchlings is to weigh them. Anything 750 grams and over is a female, 650 and below a male. After plopping each of the fluff balls on the scales we were delighted to discover that Quest and Kendal have three brand new daughters.

The good folks from the MNR declared all three birds healthy (and scrappy, another good sign), logged all their vital details and banded each with a Canadian MNR band on one legs and a U.S. Department of Wildlife and Fisheries band on the other. Now, wherever their peregrinations may take them, they can be identified.

Before returning them to their nest box, we got one last chance to welcome our Quest and Kendal’s third generation of offspring. So everyone, please give a big “hello” to our three new peregrine falcons: Luna, Carina and Kimani.

Harlequin encourages anyone who wishes to learn more about peregrines, pledge support or discover what they can do to help this threatened species to visit the Canadian Peregrine Foundation at www.peregrine-foundation.ca

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #2763 on: 15-Jun-13, 07:31:00 PM »

http://youtu.be/Jjf35S8KwgI

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #2764 on: 16-Jun-13, 11:54:48 AM »

Adult and three ledglings...

kat
Fledgling

Like Count: 13

View Profile
« Reply #2765 on: 17-Jun-13, 03:19:01 PM »

Thought you guys would be interested in seeing an up-close pic of our first fledgling: Kimani! She came to the ground at lunch today and a couple of Harlequin employees located her and Kathy (or Cathy?) from the CPF came along with her towel and gloves and scooped her up. Mark Nash came out and we checked her out for injuries. She seems ok! They'll attempt to get her situated on top of her building, or the Harlequin building later this afternoon/evening. Excitement!

Here's a link to the photo I just took of Mark holding her:

http://instagram.com/p/aq9SmGKo4i/
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #2766 on: 17-Jun-13, 03:52:38 PM »

Thought you guys would be interested in seeing an up-close pic of our first fledgling: Kimani! She came to the ground at lunch today and a couple of Harlequin employees located her and Kathy (or Cathy?) from the CPF came along with her towel and gloves and scooped her up. Mark Nash came out and we checked her out for injuries. She seems ok! They'll attempt to get her situated on top of her building, or the Harlequin building later this afternoon/evening. Excitement!

Here's a link to the photo I just took of Mark holding her:

http://instagram.com/p/aq9SmGKo4i/

Thanks, Kat!  Wow! First fledge for Quest!  Hope she does OK and that they all stay safe!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2767 on: 17-Jun-13, 04:35:39 PM »

Someone has to be first! I wish her well! Thanks Kat. 2 to go!!  Shocked

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2768 on: 17-Jun-13, 05:09:15 PM »

Hopefully she learned from it and doesn't have a repeat episode!  Wink

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2769 on: 17-Jun-13, 09:28:41 PM »

Karina accidental fledge - rescued by Harlequin staff and Cathy Kerr (amazing), back on ledge. A few shots from tonight.

She's safely back on the roof.  2thumbsup  Thanks all for helping her!

By Ann B

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #2770 on: 17-Jun-13, 09:33:16 PM »

Karina accidental fledge - rescued by Harlequin staff and Cathy Kerr (amazing), back on ledge. A few shots from tonight.

She's safely back on the roof.  2thumbsup  Thanks all for helping her!

By Ann B

Just for the record, it's Kimani. Job well done by everyone!  clap

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2771 on: 18-Jun-13, 07:24:59 AM »

Still 2, hope Kimani is still up there practicing.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2772 on: 18-Jun-13, 11:14:39 PM »

Also, at Harlequin today, Kimani came down again(from roof this time to back of Harlequin building)--Here is Mark with our girl! Again, if anyone has any time to spare, we need eyes on these three girls too!! Thanks

That girl!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #2773 on: 19-Jun-13, 12:23:43 AM »

Also, at Harlequin today, Kimani came down again(from roof this time to back of Harlequin building)--Here is Mark with our girl! Again, if anyone has any time to spare, we need eyes on these three girls too!! Thanks

That girl!!

She'll probably end up being the best flyer out of the bunch!  Wink

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
kat
Fledgling

Like Count: 13

View Profile
« Reply #2774 on: 19-Jun-13, 10:30:07 AM »

Kimani's gone missing. A few of us Harlequin folk have been out and about searching for her and Mark's on the watch right now. She was placed on the Harlequin roof last night and couldn't be spotted this morning. Ack: hoping she's found a safe place, but not so hidden away that we can't find her!
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 183 184 [185] 186 187 188 189 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: