THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 11:21:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ranger (2001) in Toronto  (Read 31377 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06-May-11, 09:01:48 PM »

Hunter is from a strong line too...he's half brother of Erie (Beauty's father), Leopold & Roosevelt.  We can only hope they had some success before they were identified.  They have been a faithful pair-some couples are just meant to care for each other.

Ranger and Hunter have been together for a long time, always in the Toronto area.  I believe they've changed nesting locations quite frequently and that they may have been at Mt Sinai Hosp for a couple years.

As far as we know, Ranger and Hunter have never had a successful hatch.  There have been suspicions that one or the other is infertile.  I would absolutely love to see her finally have a young one to raise.   heart  Her legacy is strong and important.  She is the grandaughter of Victoria and Ponce-Kingsley from Toronto, daughter of Mariah and Cabot-Sirocco from Rochester.   heart

I knew she was a daughter of Mariah and C-S but wondered what her history has been since she left the nest. Has she always been in Toronto with Hunter? Where was their original nest site if this is a new place for them?

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06-May-11, 09:50:00 PM »

I agree Ei!  These two have been very faithful to each other over the years.   heart

Hunter is from a strong line too...he's half brother of Erie (Beauty's father), Leopold & Roosevelt.  We can only hope they had some success before they were identified.  They have been a faithful pair-some couples are just meant to care for each other.

Ranger and Hunter have been together for a long time, always in the Toronto area.  I believe they've changed nesting locations quite frequently and that they may have been at Mt Sinai Hosp for a couple years.

As far as we know, Ranger and Hunter have never had a successful hatch.  There have been suspicions that one or the other is infertile.  I would absolutely love to see her finally have a young one to raise.   heart  Her legacy is strong and important.  She is the grandaughter of Victoria and Ponce-Kingsley from Toronto, daughter of Mariah and Cabot-Sirocco from Rochester.   heart

I knew she was a daughter of Mariah and C-S but wondered what her history has been since she left the nest. Has she always been in Toronto with Hunter? Where was their original nest site if this is a new place for them?

Peregrines know no borders.....
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08-May-11, 10:53:49 AM »

No offspring, but still a falcon to be reckoned with.  Imagine looking out your office window to find this scene:

A 2003 photo by Todd Sharman from the CPF website.

Paul
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08-May-11, 11:01:48 AM »

Ranger 2011 (thanks for fixing the picture CPF!)

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08-May-11, 01:30:51 PM »

No offspring, but still a falcon to be reckoned with.  Imagine looking out your office window to find this scene:

Paul

Beautiful!  Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08-May-11, 04:00:29 PM »

Paul

Beautiful!  Grin

Ranger is quite the beauty.   Did you see what she is sitting on?  She flew that duck up to the window ledge of a skyscraper?    Trying to keep track...Ranger is the offspring of Mariah and C-S?  Hatched 2003? 
And no one has record of any offspring of Ranger?   So sad; she is a beauty!
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: 08-May-11, 04:14:27 PM »

Ranger was hatched in 2001.
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08-May-11, 10:03:15 PM »

Paul
I could only wish  wub2
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: 08-May-11, 10:14:56 PM »

Paul

one of the toughest peregrine photographs ever. Great.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08-May-11, 10:20:36 PM »

And the poor duck!  Sad Oh well, such is life, well in this case...NOT! It is a great pic.

valhalla
« Reply #25 on: 09-May-11, 05:09:11 AM »

Paul

one of the toughest peregrine photographs ever. Great.

Absolutely!  bow I love this photo  clap
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02-Jun-11, 07:40:25 PM »

!!! Tough time for Turkey Vulture
June 02, 2011 - Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital
Linda Woods Reports:
This morning as I was walking north on University Ave, approaching Elm St. I caught sight of a Turkey Vulture high tailing it off the University Ave building of Sick Children’s Hospital. It flew low past the south side of Mt.Sinai Hospital. I kept my eyes to the sky and Ranger was in hot pursuit chasing it out of the area.  I think the peregrines may have grounded the bird since it was flying so low. I believe the bird made a safe getaway while, both Hunter and Ranger did regular patrols coming back to the east elevation of Mt.Sinai. No indication that Ranger and Hunter have laid a new clutch of eggs.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09-Aug-13, 02:40:45 PM »

Ranger and Hunter Still Rule the Mount Sinai Territory
August 08, 2013 - Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital
Tracy Simpson Reports:

On Sunday, Bruce and I were out and about checking on Toronto nest sites and decided to  pop in on the Mount Sinai territory.  As many of you may know, this site has been in the talons of Ranger, now 12 years old from Rochester, New York and Hunter who is an Ohio male of 13 years of age.  This pair have unfortunately never successfully hatched eggs since they began courting and mating at Yonge and Eglinton almost a decade ago.  Even so, the pair has remained together and continue to control the skies around the Mount Sinai Hospital.

On Sunday, Bruce and I were treated to an up close version of the pair as they rocketed down Elm Street over towards the hospital.  First Hunter arrived and landed on the low roof of the Toronto General Hospital.  It wasn’t long before another falcon, this one an enormous flying fortess, came flapping up the street with a pigeon in her talons.  Ranger!  She landed three floors above street level on the east side of Mount Sinai and began to eat.  Hunter, thinking this was a great idea, landed next to her and begged for a taste.  That did not go over as well as he’d hoped.  He tried to sneak in and grab a bite after patiently waiting for 15 minutes and Ranger simply turned sharply and knocked him right off the ledge and into the air.  Brave man that Hunter trying to sneak a bite!!  After feeding for about 20 minutes, Ranger attempted to cache the remains which Hunter was glad to take over to the Toronto General to eat.

It was great to see the pair and confirm that it is still Ranger and Hunter in the area.  They are both very impressive birds to watch and it was a treat for us to see them at such a great vantage point.  I have posted a couple of pictures and will post others soon.

Ranger                             Hunter

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09-Aug-13, 02:43:28 PM »

More Pictures of Hunter and Ranger
August 09, 2013 - Toronto - Mount Sinai Hospital
Tracy Simpson Reports:

It was so great to see the pair active around Mount Sinai and we enjoyed watching the dynamics between the pair.

Here are a few more photos of the two of them.  I don’t often have them down so low that I can get anything reasonably good so I was pleased to have this opportunity.  They are both so gorgeous.  It was difficult in the low light to get great shots but I hope you enjoy seeing the pair pictured here.

Hunter

Ranger

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09-Aug-13, 04:00:28 PM »

I think we can consider  star  Ranger star and  star Hunter star a super couple as they have stayed together despite not reproducing.  clap clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: