THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 04:38:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linn (2007) - Scarborough/Yellow Pages  (Read 256130 times)
carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 16-Jun-11, 04:25:46 AM »

Can I tell you something?  Linn is a Mariah look-a-like, right down to a split wing tip on the right wing.  Truly beautiful.   wub2
She is Great!  sunshine
valhalla
« Reply #76 on: 16-Jun-11, 05:26:36 AM »

clap
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 23-Jun-11, 01:22:29 PM »

Photos at the link... Juvies get dinner

!!! The three faces of mischief and full crops just in time for bed!
June 21, 2011 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
Mark Nash Reports:

June 21st-2011

A visit to the Scarborough Yellow Pages nest site this afternoon after the Don Mills banding to find all three hatchlings looking very good and almost ready to take their first flights. With all three of the chicks still on the nest ledge watching both of their parents very closely as they soared around in the winds above the nest building.

Upon my arrival, I tooo witnessed the incredible ariel display by both parents that lasted some 17 plus minutes as they soared around the top of the nest building and what was so spectacular, neither of the adults flapped their wings during the entire time. Utilizing the constant breezes, the adults did more than a dozen figure-eights and oval circles as they dove and stooped the three hatchling in the nest ledge and circled the building.

While spectacular to see, (and an obvious action on behalf of the parents to show the kids just how easy flight can be), I can only hope that the three hatchlings are reading more into the demonstration! As unskilled juveniles, (and still non-flighted), lets hope that they don’t believe that flight also needs allot of flapping to stay aloft!!

At around 6:30 pm, mom made a spectacular stoop on a pigeon hitting it mid air and in the same motion retrieved it before it dropped to the ground. She flew off to a roof top of a tall hi-rise building to the west and I watched her pluck it and removed what seemed to be hundreds of feathers as they swirled around in the wind and floated all over the horizon.

She finally flew over to the nest ledge and proceeded to beak feed the three chicks on waiting patiently on the nest ledge. A very tender moment indeed, and one that lasted some 20 minutes while I snapped hundreds of photos from my ground observation.

One of the hatchlings was waiting on the upper rim of the nest ledge, while a second hatchling was observed popping up and down from the nest ledge to the upper rim returning back to the interior of the nest ledge, and the third hatchling refused to jump up to the nest ledge rim seemingly unsure of the upper nest ledge position. The resident adult female beak fed them in their standing positions and all of the hatchlings seemed to get their full share.

Just as quickly as it happen, the adult female flew off the nest ledge with a small piece landing on the ledge directly above the nest ledge and proceeded to eat the small leftover. All three hatchlings disappeared to from the nest ledge rim down into the nest ledge and was never seen again during this watch. By 9pm, and now almost dark given the heavy over cast and clouds, I closed down the watch for the day and proceeded to the downtown Toronto King Street fledge watch to help Marion and Linda with their watch close down, and do the final examination and release of the young fledgling Cinnamon back to the Toronto Sheraton hotel nest site.

« Last Edit: 23-Jun-11, 02:11:52 PM by Shaky » Logged

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 23-Jun-11, 01:22:56 PM »

All is well and everyone is still on the nest ledge so far, no fledges as yet.
June 22, 2011 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
Mark Nash Reports:

No action yet!
June 22nd -2011

Kathy reports today that all three hatchlings are still on the nest ledge and although there is some flapping going on with at one of the older hatchlings, they are all still hanging tight to the nest ledge with not much eagerness to take their first flights. Both Linn and Rueben (the resident adults) are still closely attending and now starting to tease the the three hatchlings more often throughout the day trying to encourage them to start taking their first flights. By watch close, (and very consistent of this nest site), all three chicks seem to turn in long before darkness and disappear put of our view into the nest ledge and are inactive until darkness. After consulting with Marion who has spent hundreds of hours out here on the fledge watches in the previous years, it appears that this nest site is most unusual compared to many of the other nest sites that we have been monitoring and doing fledge watches over the past 17 years, in that the hatchlings historically become very inactive much earlier in the evening that many of the other nest site juveniles. By 8:37pm, and once again, all three hatchlings were tucked down in on the nest ledge out of our sight and down for the night.
Stay tuned……

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 25-Jun-11, 07:55:33 PM »

I posted this earlier in the wrong spot so am reposting it here:  paperbag

!!! One real fledge, one slipped off the ledge, and one still at home!
June 24, 2011 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
Mark Nash Reports:
June 23 & June 24 - 2011
Its been a busy couple of days and there has not been enough time in the day (or night) to do many postings given all of the time we’re spending in th streets doing some very long days and not getting much computer time.
Friday June 24 was the busy day at Scarborough Yellow Pages nest site when Kathy reported from Scarborough Yellow pages that Striker - 97 over Y first took his first flight ending up on an upper ledge around to the south east side of the Yellow Pages building. There his spent most of the day running back and forth across the ledge much to the delight of the occupants in the office suite.
Paul and Michelle later attended the office suites on the 11th floor to get a better look at him where they were able to confirm that despite his rather loud and hard impact with the glass prior to him falling down the face of the building where finally ended up on the ledge, that he was alright. Michelle and other office occupants took some great photos.

Marion and I arrived just shortly after 4pm to relieve Kathy and Michelle and witnessed several small feedings by Linn and Reuben. At approx. 7pm, with gusty and constant winds prevailing most of the day, little Jet - 98 over Y was actually blown off the nest ledge rim and was swept into the air. With little wing flapping going on at all, Marion watched in horror as he fell almost straight down the side of the building and was finally caught by the first ledge some 6 stories down. Thank goodness he at least opened his wings during his decent as they softened his fall.
Moments later, he did appear from the back of the ledge and spent the balance of the evening running back and forth on the ledge screaming to his parents for food as they soared around overhead.

Striker later took his second short flight gaining a little altitude as he round the building to the north west side and landed on yet another ledge at the same level as his brother Jet, but sadly not a connecting ledge. By dark, the two fledglings bedded down for the evening.

Rihannon - 53 over X stayed in the nest ledge all day with very little flapping through out the day, and received several feedings from her parents.

We closed the watch down at 9:45pm looking forward to returning in the morning to continue the watch.
Stay tuned…..

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 26-Jun-11, 11:28:42 AM »

!!! Frustrating day indeed, but all five grins in our view by the end of the day!
June 25, 2011 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
Mark Nash Reports:

Saturday june 25th - 2011
Its started with one of those days that you eat adrenaline for breakfast as my arrival this morning was met with only one fledgling and only one adult in view. The little fledgling named “Jet” was still on the upper concrete ledges where he had fallen (or been pushed) from the nest ledge yesterday, but the other two juveniles were no where to be found.

After more than 25 laps on foot around the nest building and a marathon walk throughout the commercial district to the east, south, and west checking every roof top and leading edge over the next five hours, I must admit that I felt defeated and at a loss as to where the other two juveniles were.

By 2pm, finally Rhiannon surfaced from the bowls of nest ledge up to the rim and in my view. OK, two hatchlings in view at the same time, but still no Striker, the first fledgling to take flights yesterday that had spent most of his day on the east side of the building on an 11th floor ledge.

By late in the afternoon Kathy and family arrived with reinforcements that helped out with a walkabout and search the grounds again, sadly with no luck of sighting striker..

Throughout the day, the resident adult female - (Linn) was on site most of the day in my view and brought in several little food packages to Jet in between the bursts of rain. Sadly, she gave absolutely no indication or hint as to where her kids were all day,, other than the obvious, she was not leaving the site and on guard all day long. With the resident adult male absent, I was convinced that Striker has most certainly flown off before my arrival this morning, and Reuben was out on his position watching him.

By 3pm, and just as Kathy and family were about to depart, Striker finally popped up into our sight from the back of the same ledge on the west side where Rhiannon had been visible on all day!

By 4 pm, Marion finally arrived from the downtown Sheraton fledge watch and spent the balance of the day and evening with me until we closed the watch off.

By 7:30pm, Reuben- (the resident adult male) finally arrived on site and in our view that allowed Linn an opportunity to leave her guarding posts and went out to get more food for the kids.

Over the next two plus hours, Linn fed both Rhiannon in the nest twice with a very small package of food that was brought in to Jet, but Striker did not get food today

The constant gusty winds, heavy overcast and bursts of rain really made for a crappy fledge watch and seemingly has kept everyone holding tight on the ledges for most of the day. By 10pm, with all five grins in our view, we closed the watch for the day and departed for home.

Stay tuned………..
Posted on June 26, 2011 10:03 am
Observation for Scarborough - Yellow Pages

Striker & Jet

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 28-Jun-11, 06:54:44 PM »

thumbsup foxbinocs

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 04-Jul-11, 03:41:28 PM »

!!! It’s amazing how a week can change things at one location!
July 02, 2011 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
CPF Postmaster Reports:

July 2 - 2011
It’s amazing how a week can change things at one location.
With a free evening, I headed down to the Yellow Pages nest sight with camera in tow and was this aviation enthusiast treated to some spectacular flying by all the young ones and their parents.
At first it was what appeared to be dad and the red banded chick practicing food exchanges.
Then along came another chick from the nest building and, much to my surprise, the two chicks started impersonating mom and dad doing mock food exchanges with each other while flying through the air!
Both young ones eventually landed on the Investor’s Group building where, while only sitting for a minute, one of the juvie’s didn’t really like my presence and just like mom and dad started screeching at me before taking off towards me while the other bird, still sitting on the ledge, watched with amusement.
It was at this time that the young peregrine landed on the top of the high arch on the eastern side of the Investor’s Group building and, lo and behold, mom was sitting on the little bar jutting out to the north. Dad was on the south west corner of the Investor’s Group building after stooping at a red tailed hawk which was across the street at the Orthodox church. The third juvenile then appeared out of nowhere and landed on the north east corner of the building due south of the Investor’s Group building.
With sunlight quickly diminishing at about 8:15pm, the female then abandoned her perch with the juvenile who was sitting at the top of the arch flying directly behind her towards the Yellow Pages building. They reached the building and then proceeded to circle the building 4 times before both came to a landing on the antennae on the eastern side of the building.
During this time, the male and the other 2 juveniles remained perched on the Investor’s Group building and the building adjacent to it.
At approximately 8:30pm there was a boisterous sound from the Yellow Pages building where mom returned to the building with a fresh kill. She circled the building and landed on an open antenna with the juvenile then landing on the same antenna to consume the kill. Feathers could be seen flying everywhere from the antenna.
When I left the area at about 8:45pm, the adult female and one of the juveniles were on the Yellow Pages building and the adult male and 2 other juveniles were on the 2 buildings to the west.
It was a perfect evening, and all flights seen were not only strong but lengthy, showing that the skills of their parents have definitely been passed on to these young.
Attila Papp
Posted on July 4, 2011 11:48 am

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 04-Jul-11, 04:22:19 PM »

What a great report and the pics......WOW!! Go Linn and Reuben!  2thumbsup

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 04-Jul-11, 07:05:43 PM »

I agree!  Great report and awesome pics!  2thumbsup

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 04-Jul-11, 10:51:29 PM »

clap thumbsup 2thumbsup

Peregrines know no borders.....
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 05-Jul-11, 12:04:51 AM »

What a great report and the pics......WOW!! Go Linn and Reuben!  2thumbsup

ditto

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 05-Jul-11, 12:33:06 AM »

Yes to the grand eyases!   Lynn and Reuben and babies!     Fly high and fly strong!   
 heart
Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 05-Jul-11, 08:35:58 PM »

Thanks for the reports -so glad all are doing well - Awesome pictures  2thumbsup

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 06-Jul-11, 09:06:20 AM »

!!! All 3 fledglings playing and learning
July 04, 2011 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
Marion Nash Reports:

Ann Reports
Wow action with all three juvenile peregrines
They were all talon touching and flying together.
Not great shots but fun to watch.

Awesome shots!!
« Last Edit: 06-Jul-11, 11:36:02 AM by Shaky » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: