THE FORUM

18-Apr-24, 06:50:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linn (2007) - Scarborough/Yellow Pages  (Read 257618 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 14-Jun-13, 02:08:33 PM »

WOW, that is a BIG girl!! I like the names too! Congrats to Linn and Ruben!! Thanks carly!!!!

WW
Fluffball

Like Count: 6

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 24-Jun-13, 12:45:19 AM »

wave Hello all Rochester god-parents of Linn and god-grandparents of Linn's babies.
Winnie from Toronto here. Just want to let you know that my husband and me plus another watcher David Currie spent the last two days watchging Linn's babies, Loki and Niera at yellow page during the weekend.
The report for Saturday is up already on CPF's website, sorry, for not reposting directly but I was tired out from the watch and excitment these two days. Hope you will enjoy the pictures. Both linn and reuben are great parents and they are always nearby.  wub2

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/c/sightings/scarborough-yellow-pages/
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 24-Jun-13, 05:42:24 AM »

wave Hello all Rochester god-parents of Linn and god-grandparents of Linn's babies.
Winnie from Toronto here. Just want to let you know that my husband and me plus another watcher David Currie spent the last two days watchging Linn's babies, Loki and Niera at yellow page during the weekend.
The report for Saturday is up already on CPF's website, sorry, for not reposting directly but I was tired out from the watch and excitment these two days. Hope you will enjoy the pictures. Both linn and reuben are great parents and they are always nearby.  wub2

Thanks for the report Winnie and now the fun begins! Good luck.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 24-Jun-13, 01:35:40 PM »

wave Good luck there Winnie-nice to hear from you!  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 24-Jun-13, 05:17:17 PM »

Hi Winnie!   wave

So glad you are helping out with the fledge watch for Linn and Reuben's young ones!  Thanks for helping to keep them safe and letting us know how they are doing!   thankyou

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 27-Jun-13, 03:07:27 PM »

Loki in action!
June 24, 2013 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Monday June 24, 2013 Yellow Page Evening Watch

Loki taking his first flight tonight

Loki is the star of today! Loki was still at the top horizontal ledge (the same place we left him on June 23 night) running around like crazy when I arrived afterwork at 7:15pm to join David Currie and Kathy for a short watch. The mischievous baby Loki is very fond of practising his high beam balancing skill right on the ledge edge or corner.
Then with a blink of an eye, Loki slipped/fell off the horizontal ledge, landed on the first floor canopy. He fully took advantage of this extended space to run and test fly. On a few occasion, we saw him lifted off and in air during his run/fly practice. Just when we thought that we would have an easier evening, Loki took flight towards the east back side of the building and disappeared. Kathy, David and me sprinted into hot pursuit of him. Not seeing him on the ledge, we searched for him on ground for about 10 minutes but to no avail. Then Kathy and me got a call from David, that Loki had shown himself up on the other first floor Canopy, right underneath the next ledge, on the other side of the building. What a relief!
What is also interesting is Loki had definitely took a leap of faith to reach the other end of the canopy because there is this space of about 15 ft to 20 ft at least that the canopy is disconnected.
His new position gave us some closer photos we have ever taken on him since his banding. Isn’t he cute and getting handsome?!
Winnie

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 27-Jun-13, 03:08:07 PM »

!!! One of thoes days with a twist and another successful rescue and release!
June 26, 2013 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
Mark Nash Reports:

June 26th- 2013
The heat and humidity have been absolutely debilitating for most of us that have had to be in the streets for 14 plus hours a day! As we finish week three of overlapping fledge watches, the stats are looking pretty good despite the overall lower production this year.

It was a very slow day on the watch at Yellow pages today, having the two young juveniles spending most of the day on the nest ledge, with the exception of the Loki, the little male fledgling who only made two flights all day, each time returning back to the nest ledge to join his sister Neira.

While they were strong, high flights around the building at the upper roof areas, it was obvious that the humidity was affecting all the birds. The adults would be best described as very inactive themselves, as they spent most of their time on the nest building itself throughout the entire day with only a a half a dozen flights themselves.

The young female juvenile - “Neira” has yet to take her first flight and seems very happy to stay in the nest ledge with not allot of flapping going on at all in comparison to many of the other hatchlings that we have watched at other nest sites this season while on the fledge watch. Linn, the resident adult female is keeping her young close to the building and although there was only three feedings today, she brought all of the food directly into the nest ledge itself. One of the reasons I’m sure that Loki is returning (and or) spending allot of his time back on the nest ledge.

Again this evening, by 8:30pm, both of the young had eaten their third meal and they were tucked down into the nest ledge and activity simply stopped by 8:30pm.

The real only excitement if that’s what you would call it, was at the end of the day when I noticed a while coloured bird on the leading edge of the lower canopy cover just above the Progress street entrance. While it took me a few moments to identify the little bird through my binoculars, it was identified as small yellow Conure or Budgie! We watched it for over an hour pace back and forth along the leading edge of the roof overhang, where it finally settled in and eventually tucked itself in the corner close to the wall as darkness fell.

Obviously someone’s Conure or Budgie that had escaped it owners. We can only hope that it will stay low and be able to escape undetected as its bright yellow colouring doesn’t offer it any camouflage, especially given its lack of any cover on the open rooftop. It did appear to have a quite a full crop so it would appear that it has found food and not starving. See several of the many photos that I was able to take.

A big thank you to Lori, Dave and Winnie who spent time with me today on the watch throughout the day as without them I may have slept the entire day away and missed all of the excitement - lol

At 9:00pm. I closed the watch for the day as it was very obvious that the juveniles were hunkered down in the nest ledge, with both parents high on their roosting spots also settled down for the evening.

I’m now off to the ICICI nest site at Don Mills and Eglinton to meet up with Cathy to do a release of the young fledgling female that Bruce had rescued and retrieved from the ground earlier today.
Stay tuned…..

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 27-Jun-13, 03:08:38 PM »

!!! I’m lost and looking for my family!! A LOST yellow Conure or Budgie needs its family!
June 26, 2013 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
Mark Nash Reports:

Wednesday June 26, 2013 Yellow Page Evening Watch

I arrived at YP around 7:30 pm to share space with Mark Nash, David Currie and our peregrines. Apparently, apart from some exciting excellent flight demonstrated by Loki yesterday on Tuesday, nothing much happened today. Mark and David were watching Loki sitting next to Niera in the nest ledge the whole day!

This brother and sister pair do really like hanging out with each other. They have been in the nest most of the time Tuesday and today. And they like to sit side by side with each other too. I must have more than 200 photos of them sitting next to each other. Because they are sitting so close to each other, most of the photos either show a head and a tail next to each other, or a combination of wings or head or tail, or back. You get the idea.

One minor note is that a budgie came visit the building this afternoon. I cannot get a good shot at is since it is too small and is hiding near the first floor canopy where Loki has landed on Monday. It was a pale yellow + while coloured budgie, if any of you know an owner missing a budgie with that description, please act fast. I feel bad for the budgie and pray it will stay safe.

Winnie

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: 27-Jun-13, 04:21:36 PM »

Ask Carol P, she rescues lost birds that get too close to falcons!  She may have room for 1 more!

Kidding aside, I feel bad for the little bird, not a very good place to hang out. Thanks Winnie.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 27-Jun-13, 04:54:05 PM »

Loki looks really small to me and cute as he can be. I hope that Conure high tails it out of there! Thanks for the reports!  2thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 30-Jun-13, 08:52:26 PM »

!!! Wow, both fledglings are flying high,, and very very well indeed!
June 29, 2013 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
Mark Nash Reports:

Saturday June 29th - 2013
Once again, I can’t tell you how much 48 hours can make a huge difference some time. that is certainly the case out here at the Scarborough Yellow pages nest site. I arrived this morning to find the little fledgling - (named Neira) roosting on the upper ledge of the kitchen building as we have nick-named it, - (its actually the Investors Group building), with her brother (named Loki) above her yet again on the upper most elevation.

Both juveniles were roosting quite comfortably and preening as if the this roost was one that they had been using all their lives! Linn, (their mother) was on the opposite side of this elevation clearly on guard. Ruben was located on the upper most point of the nest building looking over his territory with all of his family in full view.

Throughout the morning and early afternoon, the young fledglings made several incredible flights back and forth between the two buildings and never lost a single foot of altitude in any error and although they both have some learning to do with regards to skilled landings, both fledglings landed on their intended targets.

Loki on the other hand, is now chasing both his parents around in the air, circling-up to gain altitude like a “big-boy” and looking like an adult!!

By 1pm, it was quite apparent to me that neither of the fledglings are at much risk of coming to the ground because they can’t hold their altitude. For the most parts, our job is done her at ground level and the rest is now up to Linn and Ruben to teach their fledglings the ropes and the necessary like skills that they will need to help them survive from here on in.

I have officially terminated the full time fledge watch, but we will be doing spot checks at each nest site for the next few weeks to check up on the fledglings progress.

It is this time (over the next four weeks that the GREAT PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES EXIST, as the parents are going to teach the young flacons what to hunt, how to hunt it, and the their is some incredible aerial display going to happen. The Yellow Pages nest site is one of those unique sites in that the building is surrounded by lots of unobstructed open air and the photo opportunities to catch some of this incredible things that are about to take place once the fledglings are fully flighted.
Stay tuned…………,,, - (some photos to follow this observation report).

Hope to see you all out there with your cameras!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 30-Jun-13, 09:01:09 PM »

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
valhalla
« Reply #222 on: 03-Jul-13, 10:06:37 AM »

Adorable "babies" - just catching up and I'm so happy for the good news!   clap
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 22-Jul-13, 12:44:58 PM »

The head count rounds from this weekend tally. Not all birds have been resighted as of yet but that could have just been timing and increased activity levels due to the cooler air. Here's what we have so far.

Yellow Pages - two adults confirmed
ICICI - two adults and both juveniles confirmed
Duncan Mill Road - adult female confirmed, adult male in rehab
Toronto Sheraton - both adults confirmed and one juvenile heard
King Street - both adults confirmed and one juvenile confirmed
North York - both adults confirmed
Etobicoke Sun Life - both adults and three juveniles confirmed
MEC - juvenile female confirmed
William Osler - both adults and two juveniles confirmed

Given that the birds are now more active and moving about it is making it harder to be certain of seeing everyone. The tape color on the juveniles is helping to be sure of who we are seeing. The data keeps pouring in and we will keep you updated as the counts progress.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: 22-Jul-13, 12:45:55 PM »

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2013/07/sightings/duck-under-glass-well-sort-of-finger-licking-good-ok-talon-lick-in-good

!!! Duck under glass - (well sort of)! Finger licking good - (OK, talon lick-in good)!
July 19, 2013 - Scarborough - Yellow Pages
CPF Postmaster Reports:

July 19th - 2013
What’s better than fresh Duck for breakfast or (maybe last night’s dinner) for young fledglings Loki & Neira.
Found at the foot of Wynn Fitness Building 10 Milner Business Court closest to the building referred to as the “Kitchen”.

Alex Mitchell

I'll let you all go to the link to see the picture...if you dare!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: